“Delicious”
Review of YuMe

YuMe
Ranked #199 of 1,211 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Japanese
Description: Its inside the casino in the Fourways area.
Description: Its inside the casino in the Fourways area.
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Delicious”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Lovely Sushi and Dim Sum. Perfect for a quick lunch

Lanseria, South Africa
“Beware of the nervous grimace”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

My wife and I popped into YuMe sushi bar at Montecasino for a quick bite and sat at the sushi bar. Our waitress was friendly and efficient and organised our wine quickly. We started eating various sushi plates, that we helped ourselves to off the conveyer belt, such as salmon roses, salmon sashimi and rainbow rolls which were all fresh and delicious.

I then spotted something interesting that looked like it had been cooked in a sticky sauce with sesame seeds on top. I inquired as to what it was and was told by the waitress and chef that it was not on the menu but confirmed it was cooked tuna in a sticky chilli sauce and coated in sesame seeds. I took a chance and proceeded to eat the heavily spiced cooked albeit cold tuna in a sweet chili sauce. Queue the nervous grimace from the manger as he gingerly approached and asked “Is everything okay?” At that point I hoped everything was okay and I was not eating old tuna dressed up to taste nothing like fish.

It was at about midnight I soon realised everything was not okay and purged my entire meal down the toilet. I suspect my worst fears of eating old fish spiced and cooked to hide any rancid taste are true. I will not be eating there again!

• Visited January 2012
Johannesburg
“Excellent food - great selection of veg too!”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We ended up @ YouMe because we were going to a show @ Montecasino, and the other restaurants were full. Our luck, because the food was yummy, fresh and a great selection of both veg and non-veg.

Its traditional Japanese recipes, tweaked to the modern (south African) palette. eg steamed dumplings with cream cheese and chives.

They even did us eggless pancakes for dessert. Tho, to be honest - it wasn't the sugar rush I was looking for. More the typical Japanese style - moderation and quality.

We've been back since, and will keep going back. :-)

• Visited September 2011