“Great food”

Koi
Ranked #49 of 1,289 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Koi Restaurants, the leader in contempory Asian Cuisine. At Koi we strive to bring you the latest in Asian trends mixed with our own touch of Western style in a warm, welcoming atmosphere.
Reviewed August 9, 2013

After a couple of days of eating really mediocre food on a business trip to JHB, we decided to try Koi in Rosebank. i had prawn and shitake mushroom Dim Sum and Peking duck, both of which were divine. my not so adventurous collegue had the grilled deboned chicked which he enjoyed. will definitely go back there again.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Koi is the best place in Rosebank area if you like seafood. Their sushi is excellent, and the sashimi platter in fantastic. The hoisin calamari starter and the asian fries are incredible. The tuna tataki salad is also unbeatable.

The hostess Thabi, makes all the difference. The rest of the staff are average. Some motivation needed from management, (see what they do at Mezepoli in Melrose Arch!). All in all unbeatable, slightly expensive (R160 for a sashimi platter...) but beautiful surroundings.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I've been looking for a great sushi restaurant in Joburg since Fish lost their lease several years ago. Koi is really the best there is with amazing food and a creative drink menu. The space is warm and inviting. It looks out onto the hectic plaza but even when you sit outside you still feel like you are in a good space. I appreciate that the wait staff are not running around in front hawking customers (an unfortunate practice of many restaurants in SA - primarily because their attention is less on you then keeping an eye out for the next prospect). But I am consistently disappointed in the service at Koi. Again, as in prior visits, the wait staff seem to congregate and chat leaving empty plates and glasses sitting on the table for long periods. On my most recent visit my waiter disappeared for a good 15 minutes and other staff walked by my table leaving clearly finished items untouched. When our waiter reappeared he come in the front so it seems he had left the restaurant entirely (which is sometimes unavoidable but someone else should be covering). This is particularly unfortuntate in a sushi restaurant where you often order as you go rather than at one time. Food arrives quickly once ordered and, as I've said, it excellent. I'm thinking the next time we should sit at the counter - might be the best location in the place!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

If you like to explore for new type of foods, Koi has got some. Like the Wasabi Potato Mash, Duck Spring Rolls and some great variety of Sushi & Thai dishes. Its International food lovely atmosphere. What i found here which was unbelievable was the speed of service. I even asked how many chefs work here? It was a Saturday night. 8.35 PM and the restaurant was packed to full. Items came to us in 10-15 minutes whenever we ordered????? Amazing! But still tasted great. Must Visit.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Fantastic food and superb service! Fresh, innovative and great space. Easy walk from the Courtyard hotel where we stayed. Walk from Gautrain station.