“Breakfast medley”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Cucina di Ciro

La Cucina di Ciro
Ranked #67 of 1,183 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: In a society where everything is about the pace of modern living, sometimes we need to be reminded to take the time to enjoy one's food while sitting around a dinner table.
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Breakfast medley”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is a restaurant I have returned to again and again over many years. In fact, I recently took a friend who was visiting from Berlin for breakfast and we had a lovely morning (this was in winter). I went 2 weeks ago and the menu has now been changed for summer, I guess. It was just not well thought out. Strange food combinations left us wondering what we were going to eat! If we hadn't spotted other diners with food that we had not seen on the menu, we would have been very lost. My friend ordered the mille feuille with scrambled eggs, which look like a tart casing, no layers. I had the meze platter with olives, cold mushrooms, a fantastic walnut pate and then replaced the tofu with bacon. Nowhere was there salmon, eggs, bacon or any of the other usual breakfast items. The Prosecco was good, but why such a premium on the price? That is against current trends where restaurateurs try and give better value to their customers. Even local MCC on the wine list were only fractionally less.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Gaborone, South-East, Botswana
“Laid-back professionlism”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Very excited to have discovered this restaurant. We were warmly welcomed on a sunny Sunday lunchtime and seated on the verandah under an umbrella with vapour sprays to keep us cool. The food is delightful, the service friendly and efficient and the chef/owner very much in evidence. Little touches such as management and staff asking us how each course was (and actually listening to the reply), water glasses regularly refilled without asking, plates cleared only after both diners had finished and an enquiry as to how long we wanted to wait between the starter and main course, elevate this seemingly laid back casual venue to something a little more special. Looking forward to our return.

Johannesburg
“Very disappointing, again”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We had dinner at La Cucina last night and we were disappointed. Food sounds amazing on menu but does not live up to the description. We have attended two functions there in the past where the restaurant was booked out and the food was amazing. But when we attend just for a normal dinner it doesn't live up to expectations. We had a similar experience a year or so ago so now we'll just give it a miss.

• Visited October 2013
Ciro_Molinaro, Owner at La Cucina di Ciro, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
we try incredibly hard to try and please everybody and make sure that you enjoy your experience at La Cucina di Ciro.i do not understand why the individual if upset with a particular problem cannot make the effort and comment personally to myself so the problem can be sorted out on the evening or day..please take the oppurtonity to contact me so that i am aware of the problem and i can have the opportunity to make you happy.i am in the industry for 35 years, trust me i will do my damndest to try and make my clients happy.so please phone me if you are unhappy.
CIRO.
“Still one of the best restaurants in Johannesburg”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

iexcMy wife and I decided to revisit La Cucina di Ciro this last Sunday. The standard of the restaurant and its staff is still excellent. You are warmly greeted on arrival and the food is fantastic. I went straight to main course - I had prime rib on the bone with a red wine and mushroom sauce. The steak was tender and the sauce delicious. My wife had the seafood pasta which was also great.
Desert was a tasting plate of choc moose tart with strawberries and chocolate eclairs with creme pattiserie. fantstic. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone for fantastic meal.

• Visited September 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Tasteless stuffed calamari. Horrible dry duck with so called roast vegetables - reminder of those dreaded boardinghouse dry stale potatoes. Overly sweet cranbury stuff probably to offset the roasted duck leg that was done at 4pm the afternoon. Awful collapsed porridge soufflé with chunks of left over orange skins. Chef special Pork with crisp crackling that was served as a dry something with a soggy skin thing. And Expensive!!! Thanks but never again

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Tony H
i am disappointed that you did not call me over and give your comments personally . i am intrigued that this review has to be written on trip advisor, and whilst you were in the restaurant nothing was mentioned or highlighted.please be honest enough and give the restranteur the opportunity to sort the problems out on the evening as we would like you to enjoy your experience.