“Outstanding service, great food, comfortable room, location”

Clico Boutique Hotel
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Hat's off to Clico Boutique Hotel and all its staff. I stayed 10 nights on a recent business trip and was treated to chef-prepared dinners and breakfasts, a large and comfortable room, as well as friendly and helpful staff. The hotel's location in Rosebank was central to getting around Johannesburg.

Despite City Power's employee strike that caused a power outage throughout most of the city, the Clico staff quickly secured a generator to power the hotel off-grid so that I didn't miss a single warm shower. Clearly, the Clico is all about delivering the highest quality experience to its customers.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 4 which was great for a single business traveler as it has an open-concept bedroom...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Sabine S S S, General Manager at Clico Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Brandon,

Thank you for your kind review and for pointing out what makes Clico special. We try our best to have guests feel looked after and spoilt with good food. We would be delighted to have you stay with us again soon!

Warmest regards,

There are newer reviews for Clico Boutique Hotel

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Surely the best value for money accommodation in Gauteng! All the staff were extremely helpful and professional and went out of their way to make our anniversary extra special. We left feeling refreshed and well looked after.

Dinner was extraordinary! The butternut soup was more than a soup, it was an event!

I would recommend Clico Hotel for anyone that wants a quiet break within gauteng. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Tyron

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Tyron,

Thank you for your kind words about your experience and dinner you had at Clico. We try our utmost to spoil our guests with delectable cuisine and hope you will be back again soon so that we may spoil you with more culinary delights!

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed at Clico Boutique Hotel for a much-needed recharge and relax (I live nearby, but wanted a treat and some quiet time).
It's centrally located in the beautiful leafy suburb of Rosebank, and while it's quiet and tranquil, it's still very close to the shops and Gautrain station.
What I loved about my stay: Comfortable room with king-sized bed, satellite TV, magazines in the room, underfloor heating (I stayed on a chilly weekend), Charlotte Rhys toiletries, very friendly (but not overbearing) staff.
Another highlight was a divine breakfast, and the most amazing five-course dinner, paired with wine, served in my room (you can choose in-room dining, or dining room).

I left feeling so relaxed and renewed. I'd highly recommend it - whether it's for a stay, or a high tea, or a special dinner.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Tanya K

Dear valued guest,

You have mentioned some stunning features about our hotel and thank you so much for noting them in your friendly review! I hope this was not the last time we may welcome you back to our hotel for some R&R time.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Clico and the personel are warm, friendly and efficient. The rooms are comfortable and well equiped. My compliments to their inhouse chef! It is also within walking distance from the Gautrain station. Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Sabine S S S, General Manager at Clico Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed staying at our establishment and trust we may welcome you back soon!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I wanted to spoil my wife for our third anniversary, with an intimate stay over an as such, chose Clico. We had a very nice stay, but for the price & the five star rating, were exceptionally disappointed! The service from our waiter was very good, and again, for a five star rating, the rest was three star at best. The rooms were nice, but I expected more. Very average. The food was also nice, but the lack of selection and having soup served with a "skin" on it indicated that it was certainly not fresh and had been standing & my fillet also had to be returned as it was over cooked.
Breakfast was probably the biggest disappointment out of the lot. The offering left a lot to be desired. I know I seem to be carrying on about the rating and price, but that is what it is all about and because of it, you expect a certain level and I'm sorry to say that Clico, although nice falls very short. There are better priced establishments with a better offering than Clico if you are looking for a getaway.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PaulMHaynes
Sabine S S S, General Manager at Clico Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear valued guest,

We were very saddened to read about your feedback and that your stay with us was a disappointment. We have always tried our utmost to spoil our guests with our attentive service and delicious cuisine and apologise to you, that in this instance we seemed to have failed you. Your comments on our dinner as well as our breakfast have been taken very seriously and will be addressed accordingly.

Please feel free to contact me directly so that we can invite you back and make things up to you. We would love to redeem ourselves - you are absolutely correct in expecting a certain level when paying a 5 star price and we wish to offer this to you upon your return, befitting to our usual standards.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

From the friendly staff greeting you when booking in, to a beautiful room and well kept garden. This is the place to stay. Close to Rosebank mall and Gautrain station. They will serve you with a stunning breakfast in the morning. Lunch and dinner are also available. Thanks to Sabine and the staff for making my stay perfect and going the extra mile. Well done.

Room Tip: All the rooms are tastefully decorated rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your kind words and positive feedback on our hotel.
We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Great stay, just too short. Booked easily with 1 day's notice, easy to find, well located, tranquil setting despite being just off Jan Smuts Ave. Room great. Breakfast excellent! Great service. Liked the complementary wine in the room despite the minibar, went great with the small lemon tart waiting on the beside table when I came in late.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Sabine S S S, General Manager at Clico Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your kind review! Although it was a short stay and we hope your next one with us will be a little longer, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the little Clico "touches".
Come back to visit us again soon!