“Joburgs best kep secret”

Sandton Boutique Hotel - 28A on Oxford
Ranked #20 of 299 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Wow ,wow wow

Our driver Nelson picked us up at the airport and dropped us off at the hotel within an hour of the plane landing

Was greeted with a great smile at the hotel which is going through a change of management.

Super quick registration and was shown to our room...or suite should I say was absolutely superb.

Absolutely massive and very comfortable...try the amatheyst suite

Grounds are superb and the photos do not do it justice!

Only negative was the dirty pool

Would recommend this hotel and the people without a second thought

Best tip we could give is use Nelson the taxi driver ..very cheap and great service

Many thanks a great impression of South Africa for us

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank whitfields

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Such a perfect stay! From the location, to the amenities (honesty bar!) and most importantly, the wonderful staff, Sandton Boutique left nothing to be desired.

The premises are beautiful - perfectly manicured garden, with plenty of outdoor seating areas near/around the pool. The rooms are tastefully decorated and quite large. Although many of the rooms were occupied during our stay, we still felt as if we were in a place of our own, with no interruptions and completely at ease.

The location can't be beat. Walking distance to Sandton City mall/Mandela Square and the Gautrain Sandton Station, which takes you directly to the airport.

A huge thanks goes out to Lucia, the hotel manager, who went above and beyond to help us with our many questions and to make our stay even better (we'll finish those 24 beers next time, Lucia!). Also a big thank you to Nemsu and Brenda, in the kitchen, and to Raphael for helping us during the mini black-out.

We cannot wait to go back. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We had a absolutely wonderful stay. The room, the staff, the garden..in short the whole place was just awesome. The manager was one of those few persons who added that 6 star to the stay. Thanks for some memorable days.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This hotel has potential. It is cute, nicely decorated and could be very charming, as in the pictures you see when booking. But unfortunately, something has obviously gone awry. There are no fans or means of temperature control in the rooms. There are no screens on the windows, which means opening them is an invitation to mosquitoes to have a nightly buffet. The safe does not work, although signs in the rooms indicate that the hotel is not responsible for lost of stolen items. The pool is green, cushions on the outdoor furniture worn, tattered and tinged with mildew. Bedding and pillows were stained, and the room unclean. The mattress was worn to the point where there was a crater in the middle to which my boyfriend and I rolled into. We both had aching backs the next morning. There was an outdoor patio littered with rubbish, including a used feminine hygiene product. We thought Sandton Boutique Hotel would provide a luxurious day after returning from the bush on an eco-safari. That didn't happen.

I will say that workers on duty made attempts to help out - finding a fan (although it wasn't easy, and only at my insistence), offering to keep our valuables in the office safe while we went out, etc. But as a seasoned traveler in Africa, I was uncomfortable handing over passports and credit cards to someone I don't know. They are something not to be carried around Joburg, yet I don't feel comfortable leaving them behind and out of my personal control.

Adding the cost of transport from the airport to the hotel and back again, as well as the price of the nightly accommodation, we would have been better off enjoying a comfortable, modern hotel closer to the airport. We thought we would spend time onsite relaxing and unwinding, but that didn't happen due to the quality of the facility. What a disappointment.

A few advantages: proximity to Sandton City Mall, a luxurious bathroom in the room, friendly taxi drivers that hotel personnel will connect you with.

5  Thank dancingobroni
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Spent 3 nights over Christmas. Lovely and quiet. Lucia was very attentive and arranged a taxi service when we needed it. Room was elegant and clean.

Only downsides were a green swimming pool, lack of sparkling wine , minimal breakfasts and lack of staff resulting in no evening meals.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
emmiesandton, Manager at Sandton Boutique Hotel - 28A on Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. Weappreciate your kind words about the service and premises. We are gald you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and hotel.
Christmas is a very quiet time in Johannesburg and we are no exception there: live slows down all around us and, as a bed and breakfast, we only serve meals when ordered in the morning. (this is specified in the welcome letter).
We hope to welcome you back during our normal business as usual period and we will offer you a free bottle of sparkling wine upon your return!

Thanks again fro staying with us!

Emmie and the Sandton Boutique Hotel team

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights in Sept/Oct and it seemed very pleasant. I had paid a 50% deposit before arriving. I organized dinner for 6 persons and the next morning the manager asked for my credit card as he said the deposit hadn't gone through... I did say I was surprised but the Internet service is so bad I couldn't check. I asked him not to put the dinner bill through until I had seen a detailed account of the wine, drinks and food and he fully agreed. Over the next days I experienced no water at all in the hotel, no electricity at all and no concern from any management. I endured ice cold showers, buckets of water from the borehole and was given 3 tea lights and 3 matches on my return in the night. The manager seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth..... He wouldn't take calls and the stay became very unpleasant. When it came to check out I asked to see a detailed bill and still nothing was produced, but promised to be emailed to me by the junior staff. I checked my account when I got home, the manager, on that first morning had put through, the dinner plus the full 4 nights accommodation of which 2 nights had gone through already. It was highway robbery, no bills, no explanations, and all down to no management.

Room Tip: One near the main house
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank JillianD601
emmiesandton, Owner at Sandton Boutique Hotel - 28A on Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear guest,

Although we do appreciate everybody that does take the time to write a review even if it does contain some criticism, your review is almost unbelievable. If I were treated that way, I would immediately made an enourmous fuss and left the hotel for a different one. Furthermore, we never had a problem with the water supply and certainly did not hand out buckets of water, ever. An occacional short electricity problem is unfortunately part of being in Africa. If your bill would have been faulty, would you not have reacted immediately or gone to your credit card company to rectify? It seems quite strange that it took you 2 months to react to that and made sure I got my money back. If you could be bit more accurate than that you stayed in October/November, we could still try to look into this and see what the issues seem to have been.

We do take pride in taking care of our customers and going the extra mile for them. It also is a little starnge that we have so many outstanding reviews and your view is completely opposite.

The Sandton Boutique Hotel

Reviewed December 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Sandton Boutique Hotel and it was wonderful. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and is like an oasis in the city. The rooms are stunning and extremely clean. The staff was super accommodating too. We had a mix-up on arrival because the booking site (hotels.com) didn't book something properly, but the staff was accommodating and sorted it out. They also let us stay past our check-out time and lounge in the beautiful garden. They also arranged all of our travel needs to and from the hotel. Just fantastic. The spa treatment I got was amazing as well. Overall it was a fabulous experience and I would definitely recommend staying here!

1  Thank Greeli02
emmiesandton, Manager at Sandton Boutique Hotel - 28A on Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear guests,

Thank you so much for your kind review! We certainly enjoyed having you as our guest and it was an absolute pleasure to make you feel at home. We do hope the rest of your travels were nice and would love to welcome you back some time.

Best wishes,