“Excellent Service”

Ranked #28 of 295 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Vancouver
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I was a woman travelling alone to Africa and this was where I stayed when i arrived and before I left. I was quite nervous and apprehensive but Anne made me feel welcome, comfortable, at home. She more than exceeded my expectations, arranging my transport to and from the airport (thanks to Darrell - my excellent driver), making recommendations, booking a tour and looking after all my needs. My room was beautiful and I felt safe and secure. I used Trip Advisor to choose my accommodation and I was very happy with my choice. I was extremely impressed with the personal attention I got from Anne - my stay at Rosebank helped make my trip a success. Than you Anne!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Sanspen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We booked a one week stay at the Rosebank Lodge in spite of the fact that we read the review posted on January 9, 2012. The author of the review had rated the lodge very highly, as had all other guests who had taken the time to write a review. I do remember experiencing some lingering doubts, but that was mainly due to the fact that my husband and I are a mixed race couple and this is our first visit to South Africa.

At first we thought we would take the Gautrain to Rosebank and then hire a local taxi to take us the short distance to the Lodge, but when we were quoted a very reasonable rate for a taxi to meet us at the airport, we opted to have the staff at Rosebank Lodge book a taxi for us. Everything went according to plan and all went smoothly when we arrived at the guesthouse. There was no issue with our driver entering the premises, because he is well-known to all the staff.

During the course of our stay, we were delighted to meet several other guests from around South Africa and from places far and wide. Everyone was treated with respect and kindness - as indeed they should be. To our surprise and delight, we found that two travellers from our hometown in Canada - one of South Indian descent and the other of Chinese heritage - were visiting at the same time as the two of us. It's a small world indeed.

I took the time to discuss the negative review with the owner of the Rosebank Lodge and came to understand that her strict rules are designed to ensure that her guests as accommodated as safely as possible, in a city known for its high crime rate. Only registered guests, staff and people with whom she is familiar are invited onto the premises.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SadhusWithiPods
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2012

fantastic location, stones throw from rosebank mall, very safe, the bed, heaven, the only negative was the way the owners treat the black south africans, our taxi driver was made to feel very inferior when he was only doing his job, he was asked to stay outside the gate, we needed to change some money to pay him, coming from australia where we treat everybody equally, it was very very embarrasing, talk of human rights violations.

Room Tip: rooms with their own entrances, give you privacy.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank trimjam
BirdEyeView, Owner at Rosebank Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Thank you J for the review and commenting on your stay. Whilst we appreciate your feedback, we would like to draw attention to the latter part of your comment and try to understand how you could have drawn such an obviously wrong conclusion from the sequence of events.

As a guest house focused on the wellbeing, privacy as well as safety and security of our clientele, we have signs up outside the entrance explaining that entry is prohibited to all but "registered guests". As the gentleman who came to pick you up for the taxi service did not announce himself, the assistant on duty (not the owner as you previously stated) insisted for the man to wait outside. This is a policy for all unannounced and unregistered persons wishing to enter our lovely guest house and it has served to protect us well, as our clientele.

Thus, that you decide to issue what is clearly a racial slur is slanderous and we wish that you had rather shown more sensitivity and spoken with us to understand the reasoning behind our safety and security policies. South Africans are proud of how far the country has come in the last 20 years and it’s a pity that you make light of our journey as a country. We hope you won’t make this mistake again during your future travels. This certainly doesn’t assist other travellers by giving incorrect off the cuff observations. We would encourage you to be far more observant before jumping to conclusions
Los Gatos, Ca
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We chose this based on trip advisor and were not disappointed. The owner, Anne was there but her husband had some surgery so Margie took over the running. She was so helpful, new to the job, but what she couldn't answer she made a point to find out. I got help with the internet acesss, she made dinner reservations and car arrangements. When my husband was ill one day, they were very helpful. The room was lovely, only the bathroom without a door to close was a bit strange. Overall a very pleasant experience and breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I stayed here for 3 non-consecutive nights in December and it was the perfect stay to help me start my travels in South Africa.

I was apprehensive about traveling solo and walking around the neighborhood but I was pleasantly surprised with how safe it was, especially walking through the patrolled streets to Rosebank Mall.

Location, room size, breakfast and cleanliness are all fantastic but Anne, Margie, Rosie & Cynthia are the true gems of the guesthouse - I felt they went above and beyond, including letting me check in early, make dinner reservations at local restaurants and preparing a packed breakfast when I had to depart before the scheduled breakfast time.
Would highly recommend this place to anyone traveling to Jo'burg, from families to business travelers to solo travelers.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Charlotte D
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Our two day stay could not have been better and will book again on our next visit to Johannesburg. We could not have hoped for a better host who went out of her way to be helpful even though we arrived at 9am when our book in time was midday. The breakfast was so good and large we did not need lunch.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden facing room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RDJI
The Netherlands
Reviewed November 24, 2011

One of the best experiences I've had while travelling. Very friendly staff and great service, and in a very nice and pretty location where you can feel safe. The room I had was spacious and well furnished, with a very comfy bed. Instead of a minibar there's a big fridge in the central living room, with a small ledger to keep track of your purchases. There's also a small library here with books, travel information and magazines to read.
The Rosebank Lodge is about a block-and-a-half away from a large mall for all your shopping and dinner needs.
You can also book transport to/from O.R. Tambo airport while booking your room, which I highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo