“lovely stay”
Review of The Reef Hotel

The Reef Hotel
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The room was great and the bed really comfortable. The water pressure and the roominess of the shower was just as lovely. Very relaxing stay considering the stress experience while trying to part my car!! The parking was an interesting experience - very tight and a close call with the wall...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Iain T, General Manager at The Reef Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Charles

Thank for your kind words - we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at The Reef Hotel. We always strive to make our guests' stay as pleasant as possible, but it is always good to hear first hand about a positive impact.

Our parking, while secure and convenient, can be a challenge - especially to a first time visitor. Please feel free to phone in advance, on your next visit, and we would be happy to arrange that one of our experienced drivers assist you with parking..

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I was put on this hotel by mistake, but I was pleased after staying for one night, and then I decided to extend my stay for 10 days. Awesome staff from the reception to the management. When i checked in I was given a room on the 10th floor but the A/C was leaking, and immediately without hesitation I was put in another room on 9th floor. The rooms are clean, comfortable with great view of Johannesburg and an excellent buffet breakfast. Fresh fruits, pastries, and hot breakfast. Unfortunately, it's not for leisure travelers as there's no restaurants or shopping malls nearby. However, if you have a car it's a great value for 4 star hotel. I was given a warm hospitality where everyone will greet you with your name. What's missing is a gym.

Room Tip: Top floors have a better rooms
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Iain T, General Manager at The Reef Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Thank you Madey00 for taking the time to review The Reef Hotel

We are very happy that you ended up staying with us, even if it was by accident, and additionally so, because you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have recently installed excercise facilities on site, as well having made arrangements with a local spa and gym for our guests. I will ensure that reception conveys this information to all our guests checking in.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards
Iain Turner

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed here on business due to almost every other hotel in Joburg being full (and only after checking out early from the Urban Hip Hotel Ashanti) but I am so pleased I did! I had often seen Reef when looking for hotels for leisure travel but had always opted for Easy Hoel in Bramfontein. So I gave Newtown a try.

Excellent, friendly service from every staff member I met from arrival by the doorman, to Beauty on Reception, to the maintenance guy, waiters and bar men. What ever management are doing here they are doing it right.

I opted for the Delux room option. The room on 12th floor was clean, large and very comfortable with large king size bed, big bath tub, shower cubicle, wall length windows with views over south Joburg and exposed concreate ceilings. They also has a nespresso style coffee machine in the room at no extra charge (unlike Hilton!)

I opted for bed and breakfast which was served in the ground floor cafe. Buffet style with fresh cooked eggs etc - the usual hotel breakfast and good. Again with very friendly service.

I ate dinner in the fine dining restaurant on th e3rd floor behind exception. Good quality, good value for money and again great service.

I would recommend the hotel for business and leisure. Easy access to the bank offices, anglo, etc and to southern areas.

Don't be put off by its downtown location. Things have moved on. Whilst there is not a lot in the loal vicinity they have on site car parking, the fine dining restaurant and cafe are open until 10 and they have bar on the 3rd floor. They also have a roof top bar open on certain nights.

If you are a light sleeper and not used to city noise and like to sleep in be warned that the city begins to rumble to life at around 6.15.

Only thing missing was a pool and/or gym.

Room Tip: Delux rooms are not much extra (although not sure of the difference).
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Iain T, General Manager at The Reef Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Stanin
Thank you for the comments regarding your stay at The African Sky Reef Hotel.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful - I will forward your kind words to them.
While we do not have a swimming pool on the premises, we have an arrangement with a spa that is nearby, who do have a pool, and we would be happy to take you there on your next visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Iain Turner

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Everything went very slowly. When we arrived, it took 30 minutes to do the check in. We had asked if we could have a quiet room, but we were given one in the left side of the building, which is above a extremely noisy street (you could hear cars and music very clearly, and we were in the 11th floor!).

We asked for a change of room and we were given one in the other side, which was much better. The room is quite nice and well equiped.

The staff was unhelpful and untrained and some of them couldn't speak very good English. There were various examples, but the worse was the day we were leaving: we have agreed with them to send us a taxi to pick us up next to the hotel and take us to the airport, and we had paid for it in advance. The hotel driver arrived 20 minutes late. Luckily we had time and we could catch the plane, but it could have missed it!

We didn't like the area at all: on the weekend, there is no one around and it looks dangerous, so we didn't feel like leaving the hotel on foot. We visited the areas of Newtown and Rosebank and they looked much better, so I would definitely recommend to go to a hotel there.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mar N
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel seems to over promise and under deliver. The only thing 4 star was the stars one could see in the sky. At breakfast the kitchen staff were drinking the customers juice. There was only one croissant and they were not making more. The breakfast selection was adequate. Especially for a "4" star. The one good thing was the dinner. Service was good and tasty food.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Arrived very late but the check in was very fast and efficient. cannot believe that this jewel is right in the middle of Johannesburg CBD. the restaurant provides sumptuous food dishes. Enjoyed their chips. At night its quiet thus allowing you to concenrate on your business.

Room Tip: Very quiet for people who want to work at night.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Checked in very late at night but was warmly received by Onward who made me feel really welcome. The room had excellent decor and a comfortable single bed just as I had requested.

Despite my charger been different from the sockets in the room, there was 1 square socket that I could use thus did not need to request for an adapter.

Breakfast was an elaborate affair and very good, I thoroughly enjoyed it and to crown it all, there is free wifi :-)

Room Tip: Try the 15th floor rooms, they present an excellent view of the city
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business