“Good for what we were looking for” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Reef Hotel

The Reef Hotel
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Johannesburg
Sao Paulo, SP
“Good for what we were looking for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We’re only staying in Joburg for one night and we’re looking for a hotel that offered a good price, a good and clean room and that was located next to the airport or to the attractions we wanted to visit.
With this in mind, the hotel was a good choice for us.
The location was perfect for us as we wanted to be next to Soccer City and the Apartheid Museum. Also, the room was very new and looked nice, clean, with a good and comfy bed. The transfer service was great.
Although it was a good value for us, we had some problems in our stay. Our internet didn't work and the night staff wasn't able or willing to fix it. The night staff also tried to arrange for us an non-authorized driver when we asked for the service instead of contacting the official service offered by the hotel. When we checked in we were asked to pay for the room even though we`ve a book with booking.com. We paid in the hotel and after we received an "no-show" e-mail from booking.com telling us that the cancelation fee was going to be charged. We're able to solve this problem with booking.com, but it was a very bad act from the hotel. Also the hotel didn’t offered a taxi service but only drivers,. For us, it worked very well as the driver as very good and we didn’t want to worry about transport.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flavia B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

With this in mind, the hotel was a good choice for us.
The location was perfect for us as we wanted to be next to Soccer City and the Apartheid Museum, but you can't walk around at night. Also, the room was very new and looked nice, clean, with a good and comfy bed. The bathroom didn't have a door to separate it from the bedroom. The transfer service was great.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

This hotel is great for meetings in the business or financial district. The hotel staff is competent and the service is with a smile. I liked the 60s retro vibe of the hotel via the style of the architecture. I found the car service to be lacking on the airport pick up. After a 10 hour flight I honestly don't have much patience. They scheduled an airport pick up to pick up two parties who had flights an hour apart. huh? I was the earlier flight and I did wait for a South African 15 minutes, which was over a half hour. I ended up getting my own taxi. Which you can do and it is the same price. So if that situation happens to you just move on and don't look back.

I'm actually going back to this hotel next week.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Pretoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed at the Reef Hotel during March, and was pleasently suprised by the exsistence of a business hotel in Johannesburg.

I generally enjoyed my stay at this hotel, and found the design and layour of this hotel to be quite refershing from the norm. I am happy to see that the Reef Hotel is contributing to the upliftment of Johanneburg.

Well Done!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mpho L
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I had booked to stay at this hotel between 26-29th Feb. 2012 but later cancelled because it was far away from the venue of my conference. But it was good riddance i didn't stay with them because they ended up coning me R750 through my debit card. As if that is not enough, when i went in person to complain the lady at the reception- NOORIA kept on saying she doesnt know how to refund the money although she agrees they wrongly charged me. When i insisted she 'faked refund' by swipping my debit card!!!!!!!! and i guess she thought- good riddance!! but am not done with them because i feel cheated especially because they kept me for close to two hours waiting!!!

SO DONT BE CONNED! I plan to go back with cops in two weeks time to reclaim my money!

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Jacinta M
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

This hotel was ok. There was nothing wrong with it, but it wasn't great either. It's very clean and modern, and although the rooms are comfortable, they are a bit dark. The bathroom and the bedroom are not two separate rooms - they are merely separated by a wall, so don't share a room with someone you're not comfortable with hearing you go to the bathroom.

The hotel only gives you 100MB of free internet which goes quickly, and because it requires log-in it can only be used by one person at a time, meaning if you're sharing a room you can't both use the internet simultaneously. Not the end of the world, but annoying.

While it's fine to go out of the hotel during daylight hours, the business area it's situated in empties out after 6pm and becomes very unsafe. The hotel does have its own drivers and are helpful in arranging transportation for you.

The other annoying thing that happened was that the power went out twice, although only in my room and not anyone else's. The first time they came and fixed it quickly but the second time it took them a long time to respond. It is a bit unsettling sitting in a dark room at night without any lights, waiting for someone to come fix it.

Room Tip: Don't share a room with someone you aren't super comfortable around - the bedroom and bathro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I travelled to Johannesburg for business but decided to book an extra night in this hotel so that I could also take in a bit of the city. Unfortunately I regretted my decision to book a room at the Reef hotel and, although I will be travelling back to the city again, I will not be staying at this hotel.

The hotel is trying to pitch towards the business guest but I found it did not meet my needs. Firstly, when I met my colleagues in the lounge I was very surprised that the hotel would not allow the drinks to be charged to my room. This meant I had to dash up to my room to get cash to cover the entertainment, not a classy business move..... I also booked the deluxe room as it offered free wifi internet. Be warned, this internet service is limited to 100mb, needs to be constantly logged back in (making file downloads difficult) and your access to it will be terminated early on the morning of your departure. You are also meant to get an espresso machine in the deluxe room. Mine was broken, spilled water all over the floor and when I asked them to fix/replace it, I returned to the room to find a small kettle and received no apology for the lack of this facility. Also missing was the 'well stocked minibar', I had a fridge under the desk which was completely bare and is tied into the energy saving 'card system' which turns all electricity off in the room if you do not have your room card in the appropriate slot. This means any drinks you do decide to keep in the fridge (maybe some milk for the coffee you now have to make because the espresso machine is broken and they haven't supplied you with any milk) will be warm by the time you return. I received an unbooked wakeup call at 6:30am when the receptionist wanted to know if an iron and ironing board was in my room as another guest required it (no was the answer, did they really have to wake me?). The website also says there is 'video on demand', this means you can access a limited number of channels on the wall mounted TV, but for a business hotel there is a lack of any international channels such as CNN or BBC. When you select the option for movies the TV explains that the selected service has been locked by reception (on demand?).

I also found the bottled water was not replenished after the maid had serviced the room. When I questioned this at reception I was told that the water is complimentary and only offered when you arrive. It may seem like a small point, but its lots of things like this that turn you off a hotel fast. After all, I paid just as much for the second night as I did the first!

Although initially the staff appeared keen to help, they did not deliver on any of my requests (such as replacing the espresso machine). When I finally asked to speak to the manager I was told that she had gone to help another guest and would phone me in my room. I never received a call and left shortly there after.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Milly064
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel Apartments
Genesis All-Suite Hotel
Genesis All-Suite Hotel
#15 of 73 in Johannesburg
4.0 of 5 stars 271 reviews

Been to The Reef Hotel? Share your experiences!