“Tranquil place for business travellers” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hands On Retreat

Hands On Retreat
Ranked #9 of 293 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Tranquil place for business travellers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

I was impressed by the friendliness and the hospitality of Hands on Retreat. The guest room was spacious and always clean and I felt relaxed when I returned from a busy day at the office. The staff are always willing to accommodate you and the scenery within the garden is stunning. I am always happy to stay there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HandsOn_10, Manager at Hands On Retreat, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
We are very pleased that you find our guest house staff friendly and always willing to help, we strive on being ‘ Hands On ‘ in everything we do. We so happy that you felt relaxed after a busy day at the office and do hope you visit us soon again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

:-) What a place of tranquil and peace. The staff at Hands on Retreat where so welcoming and accommodating to me and my fiance. They always have smiley faces and always assisting to your needs. The rooms are amazing and very romantic. A special "Thank You" to Karen, Natasha, Nomsa and Meikie. The massages and jacuzzi where the best part of my trip, not forgetting the calm scenery around the retreat and the "privacy" I found this place by chance, in the hope of spoiling my fiance and myself. I definitely recommend Hands on Retreat and I know I will be visiting again...hopefully for another weekend get-away:-) Well done to the staff..Keep up the amazing job!!!

Room Tip: I would recommend the Premier suites. It has a comfortable bed with a double shower and a jacuzzi...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so pleased that you guys had a wonderful weekend with us, we wish you everything of the best for your future plans. Who knows maybe you guys could come and spend your honeymoon with us. That would defiantly be special.
johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

My hubby and i decided to do our "getaway thing" at a spa! and ooohwee! did we get what we wanted and more. We had the most romantic and relaxing weekend ever. I want to thank Karen for her hospitality. She is just something else hey. it didnt matter what the request was ...she made sure that we were well looked after. the treatments were amazing. We left feeling refreshed. I want to thank the staff for the way they made us feel. Very special indeed. Karen had it all to the "T". you have the place to yourself. sitting outside in the sun ,just lazing in your room or enjoying the outdoor jaccuzzi...AMAZING! THANK YOU KAREN!
You will be seeing us again!

Room Tip: dont matter which room you choose. you will still experience the peace and serenity of the place as...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Our “Couples romance weekends” is one of our highlighted packages , not only do we get to spend more time with our guest but we also get the opportunity to add that little extra personal touch, that at the end of the weekend we honestly wished that you never had to leave. Thank you for joining us and can not wait to see you again.
Alberton, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Wow ... Everything about this place is memorable

Natasha and Peter taking your booking … They really seem to care
Karin welcoming you.. All the staff seems to be in on the act. Everybody is out to make you feel welcome.
Little things such as the petite peppermint on the cushion … the little welcome message at the door to your room
Breakfast in bed because …. we wanted to watch rugby

The food is to die for. Lunch was the nicest pastry salad. Evening meals was especially good.

Taking a walk through the gardens and over the river … It is clear to see that the people in control undoubtedly are proud of everything they do.

The massage therapists, each and every one take their time. No one seems to be rushed. A couple of hours under their hands simply melts the time and stress away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HandsOn_10, Manager at Hands On Retreat, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Double “WOW” to you for those warm and generous comments. It is reviews like this that makes all the hard work and long hours worked worth the while, and making our job very rewarding. Management and staff thanks you and do hope that you join our little family soon again.
Sandton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

It is always a pleasure to stay here, whether on business or leisure. The setting is peaceful and the garden is beautiful. The staff have an amazing knack for making your stay special.
The rooms are pristine and hospitality is exceptional. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HandsOn_10, Manager at Hands On Retreat, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
We are extremely delighted that you have made Hands On your “preferred accommodation” Thank you for taking the time out to write this review and the for the wonderful comments, especially mentioning one of prize settings, the garden.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

I "found" this wonderful venue by chance (perhaps guided by angels !!) late in the week. I was feeling tired, stressed and "out of sorts" - the typical Johannesburg syndrome in August; where winter is almost at an end and all is parched and in need of some soft spring rain.

My back ached and I was searching for some light relief, after coping with what seemed like an endless series of ongoing household emergencies and expenses. While on a "special offers" provider site, I saw this "assembly of green" when scrolling further down and was instantly drawn to the picture and "treatments" on offer. Yes this HAD to be the answer. I desperately needed quiet time, "ME time" and preferably in a gentle setting with a low noise level. I made a telephonic enquiry and was met with a very helpful and friendly voice on the other end in the form of Natasha, the retreat's Manageress.

We discussed matters and, child-like, I enquired as to whether there was any chance that this guesthouse offer would be available to me over that very weekend ? She went out of her way to "make it happen" and the next thing I recall was the anticipated joy I felt knowing "all would be well" soon, as someone cared enough to assist me in my quest. I could not have been more pleased with the way everything worked out for my highest good. The kindness of the staff, the concerted effort to help and oblige every request was quite something to note. The atmosphere at the venue itself, which is very close to spiritual, as well as the kindness and good intent of all concerned, makes this a little gem of a business. It is unique as one realises this has been achieved with ordinary people
co-operating and going the extra mile, making it extraordinary !!
Privately owned by Martina and Luis, and fortunately nowhere near the predictable bustle and buzz of large chain hotels !! Hooray !!

Worth mentioning are staff members such as Head of Housekeeping, Karin, and therapist Monica. Talk about divine appointment. Nothing is too much trouble.
This type of accomodation is so needed in a city like ours. One feels stragely removed from its problems. It feels like a visit to a sanctury, outside the city limits.

"Hands On" - the name does the venue justice in every sense of the word. A little oasis in the heart of Johannesburg's cement city. What a find.

I sincerely hope to find my way back there before too long.

Room Tip: Two of the six rooms have a jacuzzi bath. This is highly recommended for the weary visitor and is a...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Dianne696
We thank you dearly for those warmly comments, we were very pleased that you found us and that our facilities helped with restoring your balance. It gives us great pleasure just knowing that our service to you was worth every moment spent at our “HOME”.
Springs, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

"Thank you to all the staff at Hands On, especially Karin really made our stay restful & relaxing. The experience was worth it, and a must do again. The rooms are well stocked and a real delight to stay in. Thank you to all Chantelle and Johan van der Walt.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review on Hands On Retreat. Management and staff really appreciates the fact that we were part of making your stay a very relaxing one.