“Bad start, but overall good”

Genesis All-Suite Hotel
Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I arranged a transfer from the airport to Genesis, gave them my flight details. Much to my disappointment when I landed at 7am, after travelling from Greece, there was no one waiting to pick me up. I called to ask what had happened, and they said that they were sending someone, only after I called to say I was waiting. After a 2 hour wait (note Genesis is 15minutes away from the airport), I was called to say the driver was outside at pick-up zone, and i had to go to him because he could not find a parking. Walking around in 7 degree weather was an added frustration. I didnt find the driver, so I went back to the terminal to wait, after serveral calls, I was told the driver was outside again, so I went back out and finally found him. He apologised but honestly it was very unprofessional. For R350, do yourself a favour and rather just get a taxi/cab from the airport there are many available on arrival and charge the same price. On arriving at Genesis, there were other guests who seemed to be waiting for a transfer to the airport, and the lady was literally shouting at the driver to hurry up as they were getting extremely late, so it seems that transfers are a general shortcoming of this place.

Even though the staff at reception were polite and professional, they weren't very apologetic about their obvious mistake. I was not even given a discount on the messed up transfer. And honestly I was to tired and frustrated at that point to argue so I just paid the amount due.

The apartment itself is great value for money. I would highly recommend the place. It is spacious and modern, with all the facilities and comfort of home. The building is secure and there seems to be safe parking for guests.

I was alittle disappointed as the Spar seemed to be under renovation. However there are restaurants in the building, I did not get a chance to try them though so can not comment on the quality of food. Genesis is located in a nice area, peaceful, not busy with traffic.

I would definitely stay here again, as you definitely get more than what you pay for in terms of the actual accommodation....however, I will definitely not arrange a tranfer with them.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
656Nico, General Manager at Genesis All-Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to complete the Trip Advisor Questionnaire following your recent stay, here at Genesis Suites & Conferencing.

We were delighted to note that you overall enjoyed your stay with us. It is the goal of our team here at Genesis Suites & Conferencing that our guests feel as comfortable as possible, so that your stay will be as pleasant and successful as it can be, which might give us the chance to establish a long-lasting relationship.

We very much appreciate reading your comments, as it is only by receiving such information from valued guests, such as yourself, that we are better able to see where we stand in certain areas and what improvements we can make to further satisfy any requirements that you may have.

It will give us a great pleasure to welcome you back to Genesis Suites & Conferencing . Indeed, perhaps when planning your next visit to Johannesburg, you would be kind enough to contact my office directly in order that I can make the necessary arrangements for an airport pick-up and also to make sure that you will have an enjoyable stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Genesis All-Suite Hotel

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Rooms were good. Breakfast was brilliant....we Live in Australia and needed a place to stay for a family Barmitzvah.
Tis hotel was recommended and we are glad it was. All worked out well and we had no complaints .

Room Tip: Family needs a two bedder. 1st floor . It was winter - no heters in the rooms however we had no issu...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

We were delighted to note that you overall enjoyed your stay with us.It is the goal of our team here at Genesis Suites & Conferencing that our guests feel as comfortable as possible, so that your stay will be as pleasant and successful as it can be, which might give us the chance to establish a long-lasting relationship.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Sure, it is a bit crazy having the main ensuite quite so open, but for all that we thought the place superb, ultramodern and yet comfortable. We did not have a walk through shower layout in any of our rooms..
Who needs TV in the bedroom, if you are busy all day and then want to crash. We did need to ask for the salt, but it came speedily and with a smile.
They have jammed normal pillows into slightly small size pillowcases, to give an aesthetic effect which I found uncomfortable to sleep on, I asked for a larger pillow case or a softer pillow, and they found me a cuddly feather pillow.
We just used one of the hand-towels for a dishtowel...
Although they said to hang up towels we would reuse, they changed them daily. (At home I reuse towels dont you?)
,I would suggest that they have draft stoppers at the entrance doors. We used a towel on the cold JHBG nights
The staff were all very obliging storing our luggage whilst we went on safari, and then storing from checkout till our night flight, booking taxis, etc etc. There was no problem at all with service
On site restaurant a real treat, value for money, and so little known to the locals.
Security features unobtrusive compared to many places
So convenient to all my relatives. Great value for money. We will be back and I am sure the relatives will be parking more visitors there.

Room Tip: second stay room was above the pool area, so a bit noisy in the mornings
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
656Nico, General Manager at Genesis All-Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

We were delighted to note that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff to be helpful. It is the goal of our team here at Genesis Suites & Conferencing that our guests feel as comfortable as possible, so that your stay will be as pleasant and successful as it can be, which might give us the chance to establish a long-lasting relationship.

It will give us a great pleasure to welcome you back to Genesis Suites & Conferencing . Indeed, perhaps when planning your next visit to Johannesburg, you would be kind enough to contact my office directly in order that I can make the necessary arrangements to personally ensure that your stay is a comfortable and enjoyable one.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Craziest layouts you can possibly imagine. No TVs in the bedrooms. Heated floors throughout, except the bathrooms (where you need it most).

Layouts of single bedrooms require you walk from the toilet to the sink through the shower. in fact, the shower has two doors, to allow this passage through it.

The two bedrooms have the master bathroom on-suite, quite litterally, on suite. In fact my slipers at by bedside got wet after the shower leaked and water ran to the bed itself. No door or barrier whatsoever between the bathroom (including toilet) and the bedroom.

No TV in bedrooms.

Staff is not helpful.

Super clean and modern.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to review Genesis Suites on Trip Advisor.

We very much appreciate reading your comments, as it is only by receiving such information from valued Guests, such as yourself, that we are better able to see where we stand in certain areas and what improvements we can make to further satisfy any requirements that you may have.

Please accept our apologies that the suites that you were allocated on your arrival did not meet your expectations and that you found the various facilities within the room to be unsatisfactory . We were delighted to note that, despite of that, you overall enjoyed your stay with us rating Genesis 4 out of 5.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I called up the reception to ask for a blanket; i was told to come fetch it myself. and that was on the coldest week of my stay in Johannesburg!
we were not provided with basic things like a dish towel in the kitchen. This is a self-catering hotel that does not even have salt in its kitchen, these people can do better!
We even missed our flight waiting for a cart to fetch our clothes which did not come until a good 15 minutes was over!
Their place is clean and nice only their room service sucks!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Yandiswa N

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to inform us on the issues you experienced during your stay here at Genesis Suites.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you in this regard, I can assure you that this is certainly not indicative of our usual high standard of service and I have addressed your comments personally with my Rooms Division Manager.

We very much appreciate your comments, as it is only by receiving such information from valued Guests, such as yourself, that we are better able to see where we stand in certain areas and what improvements we can make to further satisfy any requirements that you may have.

Yours Sincerly,

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed at Grbesis Suites and had a wonderful stay, it is very modern and clean and It was convinient from airport and to malls as we were driving ourselves. Its a good neighbourhood and felt safe.

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to complete the Trip Advisor Questionnaire following your recent stay with us here at Genesis Suites & Conferencing.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back to Genesis Suites in the future.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed there for a week and it was lovely. There is everything you need within easy access such as a grocery shop, gym, restaurant and hairdresser.The apartments are clean and come equipped with a fully functional kitchen. The rooms are small but comfortable and clean.The staff at reception were friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Your feedback is valuable to us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Genesis Suites.