“refreshing - wonderful example for 'new Africa'”

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed May 27, 2010

thoroughly enjoyed my stay - 2 nights. loved the funky decor and modern feel. Melrose Arch is a delighful and friendly little shopping mall with some great restuarants all within walking distance of the hotel. The ground floor cafe in the hotel was a pleasant place to sit and enjoy a coffee or lunch.
Would have been useful if had been given more information about the hotel facilities when I checked in, but i found my way around. Breakfast was a bit disappointing, better value breakfasts available in cafes in the mall.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,011)

Reviewed May 24, 2010

Lovely brand new hotel in the impressive Melrose Arch residential and commercial development . Beautifully appointed with quirky yet tasteful interiors make this a cut above the average. Lovely breakfast also! But..and there is a big but - the superior ambiance of the bedroom is spoiled by the cheap inclusion of a shower and wash-basin virtually alongside the bed. In fact, you can almost lean out of bed and feel the shower spray. Hotels that cheapen their rooms by placing the shower or bath in full view of the bed really do seem trendy - but ultimately they are cheap. I would never stay here unless I was a single traveler. The flimsy and tacky hospital-bed curtain which supposedly protects the bedroom area from the shower is simply not enough for real privacy. And, its depressing. What a pity as the old movie decor and crystal lighting is so lovely. And, why put a see-thru plastic desk in the room - it's might look pretty, but no mouse will work on this surface! If you can get your laptop to work, there is some free (but limited) internet which is a big plus. A contradictory stay with much potential. Pity about the exposed shower.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Just returned from SA and stayed at Fire and Ice for the weekend with family .Just want to say we all had a great time at the hotel.The decor throughout the hotel is amazing .You get so used to the same generic hotel rooms around the world and this was a pleasant change from that .The staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble.Gawie the manager has got a great team together and he is always around keeping a discreet eye on things!Would definately stay again and on a footnote Melrose Arch is a really godd place to stay with good bars and restaurants etc on your doorstep

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2010

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The staff were all friendly, efficient and very proffessional. The Decor throughout the whole hotel is mind blowing it puts other hotels to shame. What really impressed me was that the General Manager was around the hotel all the time chatting to guests and his door is ALWAYS open. The location is fantastic, with loads of restaurants and the shopping is brilliant. I have never wanted to go to Johannesburg for a holiday in the past but now I can't wait to go back for no other reason but just to stay in that hotel. Well Done Guys and I will see you very soon.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Went for dinner at the new fire and ice hotel in Melrose arch. Menu seemed a bit expensive, but selection was good so were happy to pay prices.

After waiting 1hr15min to receive our meals and no apology from the manager, the food was cold. We sent it back and once again it came back cold.

We decided not to stay and just pay for the drinks. The manager who we dealt with did not apologise at any stage.

While i was sorting out the bill, the chef approached our table to apologise to the other parties. He complained that he had been begging for more staff in the kitchen but nothing had been done. I find this very unprofessional for a employee of the hotel to be sharing that information with its patrons.

This is the first bad experience i have had at one of their hotels.

I hope they can sort out their service problems before the world cup.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I was booked in one of the three suites for the soft opening period of the hotel. Having stayed in the Fire and Ice! hotel in Cape Town - which is wonderful I might add - I was so excited to come to this hotel and accepted during the soft opening all would be fine. Knowing only too well that sometimes soft opening can be problematic I called the hotel several times prior to leaving he UK to ensure the room was ready and that all was in order and was told each time I rang that everything was up and running and sorted out. I even called ahead to arrange an early check in as I had a business meeting on the morning I landed and I wanted to freshen up prior to arrival and the reservations agent I spoke with advised that she would be able give me an early cheque in free of charge given I was staying in their 3 suites. I was so thrilled and was so looking forward to a stress free calm experience with the hotel. Especially given the wonderful service I got in Cape Town.

I flew in from London for business 2 weeks after making this booking and a week after the arrangements for early check in, and after a 12 hour HIDEOUS flight I arrive at the hotel only to be informed by the front desk that the suites - in which I was booked - had not even been built yet. They would not be ready for some time...

I was then helped by the operations manager and eventually a few hours later by the general manager, after much debate and hours of sorting things out - hours I could ill afford on a hectic business trip - in a sister hotel within the development. The sister hotel within the development but not in a suite - which I needed - but a room which always I feel looks bad if you are bringing people for business as the bed in the room always makes me thing it is for something other than business. I had to pay for further meeting areas as the first time the hotel got it wrong and then when the "fixed it" they got it wrong again...

Sadly did not find the managers particularly helpful in trying to resolve the issue and found them asking me how to fix the situation and as I explained on numerous occassions it was not my error nor my fault and they agreed the hotel was entirely to blame but now I am in a room - not a suite... During our initial conversation to attempt to resolve this I had the general manager say to me at one point in the conversation if I would like him to go and finish the room himself... I hoped he was being helpful but cant help in reflection to think that he might have in fact being rude and slightly offensive in his manner and sadly it has left such a poor taste in my mouth.

I then was woken VERY early the following morning with calls from another of their hotels waking me up enquiring as to why I had not checked into the hotel the night before... It also seems I have now been billed for that room which was booked and I did not use... So another hour or two will be wasted trying to get my money back for the terribly shocking service I have had... Having to also ring the UK to confirm charges were not taken for 45 minutes was a costs I did not need.

All in all a VERY disappointing situation and I know that all of the issues have been brought to the managements attention and despite being in a MUCH smaller room - not to what I needed - and having hours taken from my day without so much of a complimentary anything - bar a handful of dried fruit - apples - which had a peach pip within the dried fruit which I think summed the whole experience up entirely!

I am deeply disappointed and sadly I will now never be able to use this hotel - or their brand again.

Protea hotel as a brand sadly has in my opinion slipped terribly over the last ten years and such an exclusive brand at such a high rate I would have expected to have had MUCH better service and at least have the same room in another hotel with such huge FUNDAMENTAL internal faults causing a busy guest to have lost so much time and energy trying to fix an error that my opinion is a school boy rookie error that was totally avoidable if someone within the hotel had actually been doing a decent job - which is what surely they are paid to do.

So my advice... Don't trust what is said on the phone or that your booking is confirmed and if they say it is try budget an hour or two in case it is not. If you do make sure you get a single individual to email you personally to confirm so that way it seems it is the only way they can deal with anything given that I kept getting asked to whom I spoke and I kept pointing out I should not need to take names as your staff should all be trained to do things correctly the first time.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Excellent service from start to finish. The room was so trendy and very comfortable. Great location. The whole hotel's decor and detail is so stunning. Breakfast was excellent also.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business