Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
Rondebosch, South Africa
“Enjoyed my stay”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I really enjoyed staying at Protea Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch. The location was quite convenient, close enough to all the places I needed to be by Johannesburg standards, including the Melrose Arch Mall if a bit of shopping is required. The hotel itself is clean, fresh and fun in terms of the design, and the standard rooms are bigger than those of Fire & Ice in Cape Town and very tasteful. Best for singles and couples, as whilst the toilet is completely private the shower area is only separated from the rest of the room by a curtain. Friends staying together should opt for the only slightly more expensive deluxe rooms in order to get more shower privacy if this sort of thing is an issue for you.

The breakfast was delicious with lots of options and the milkshakes are legendary, don't forgo these when staying there...

Whilst the staff was pleasant and certainly not unfriendly they weren't very informative and we had to prompt and ask a lot of questions to get the info we needed when checking in.

If you are self driving and have a car/hire a car there is ample safe parking in the basement of the mall underneath for a mere ZAR 65 per stay.

One of the things I enjoyed most about the hotel was that it is frequented by all different kinds of people. Young and old, foreign and local, fancy and plain all made an appearance, and helped provide a really great & welcoming atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear mmre,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our fabulous hotel, it was quite delightful to read.

The Melrose Arch Precinct is indeed a wonderful location to be situated in; it is convenient and has much to offer. We ensure that the hotel is well maintained making it appealing to all GUESTS that walk through the doors. The rooms boast a unique design, which is indeed tasteful.

We do have 3 corner suites in the hotel for the GUESTS that require more privacy as it has a separate bathroom area. Our culinary TEAM has exceptional skills in preparing super scrumptious meals as well as delicious gourmet milkshakes; an experience isn’t complete without one or the other.

We do apologize that the STAFF were not informative; it is certainly a point that we are going to look into as our STAFF are the face of the hotel, and they need to be equipped with a smile and also information for the benefit of our GUESTS.

The hotel is place where people from different backgrounds come to meet, greet and socialize; a great atmosphere is created for a wonderful platform of people.

We look forward to hosting you once again at our hotel.

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My stay at PH Melrose Arch was absolutely incredible. From the service to the classy rooms to the food. It was breathtaking. Most of all I LOVED the location. Shop during the day party at night what more can you ask for. The hotel was vibey and had a really special feel to it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear nivashinis,

Thank you very much for such a wonderful review of our hotel.

We are beyond pleased to hear that you had an ‘absolutely fabulous’ stay with us, our STAFF are excellence driven thus providing you, the GUEST with the best GUEST service.

The rooms at our hotel are elegantly designed making our GUESTS feel fabulous, we have an exceptional culinary TEAM that provide all the tasty meals within the hotel and we are happy that you had the opportunity to spoil your taste buds.

We are located in the Melrose Arch precinct, which boasts a wonderful array of stores that are convenient to all our GUESTS, it is indeed a great place to shop all day and party at night, a city within a city is what we describe our location to be.

The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! is a known as the place to be with its unique upbeat vibe and uber atmosphere, we are thrilled to know that you enjoyed staying with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I expected this hotel to have the quality and service to match it's excellent location. However, I was very disappointed with both. Although the front desk staff was not rude, they were not friendly nor helpful either. The room had the most impractical design for a hotel room that I have ever encountered. It consisted of one room with a shower curtain that could be drawn to partially enclose a bathroom, shower area. Otherwise, the shower was open and right in the sleeping and living area. Privacy was simply not possible. Furthermore, the outside door opened right into the bathroom/shower area. Although the toilet was located in a water closet, we did have to request the cleaning staff to come and re-clean this area, as it was not clean when we checked in.
We had lunch in the restaurant of the hotel and we waited a full hour for our food. Several other people complained about similar service. The restaurant manager gave the excuse that they had been unexpectedly busy in the bar area. Numerous inquiries about our meals proved futile and just as we were about to leave, the meal arrived. The manager charged us full price for the meal, despite the long wait.
The rooms had no WiFi access in them, although some computers were available for use in the main lobby. Again, service was an issue. The computers were not user friendly and the passwords kept changing. I needed to get front desk staff to help me, but they were short staffed. I tried to order a mineral water at the bar, but it was never served to me.
I gave up on the computer. During the day I purchased my own mineral water at a local store. I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Look at the room before you check in.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear LoisTB,

I am extremely sad to hear that your stay with us was anything but special and I would just like to thank you for such a detailed review. Without your comments we will not know where we are going wrong and can only learn from this!

It is apparent that we are failing to deliver on one of our Protea Principles which is ‘The best GUEST service’ and it is concerning when my TEAM is just not getting the basics right.
The room design is an edgy and urban concept which is to make clever use of available space that boasts with fashionable techniques and features and we sincerely apologize for the disappointment you encountered as a result of the poor housekeeping. It is unacceptable that you had to request the TEAM to clean your room again and we will focus more diligently on our room checks ensuring the freshness of each room.

As for the Front Desk and Food & Beverage concerns, words cannot express how sorry we are and that such simple requests couldn’t be carried out with the greatest of ease. My TEAM is very capable and competent in what they do and your experience is not a true reflection of their conduct. These issues will be addressed and rebuff where necessary as we aim to be the unrivalled leader of fantastic service delivery.

Please be assured that we are committed to ensuring that every GUEST enjoys a wonderful stay and positive experience with us. We know that we achieve this, as we are inundated daily with positive feedback from our GUESTS. However, we are aware that our efforts are pointless if we do not get the basics right consistently. With your valuable feedback and our dedication to you, we look forward to welcoming you back so that we can prove to you that we are truly proud of our product, services and facilities.

I would like to communicate with you directly to bring closure to this unpleasant experience. Please contact me directly (gm@fireandice-ma.com). I look forward to hearing from you and making much needed amends.

Vienna
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed the stay in this hotel very much. This was my first touch with Protea, but I really like this style very much. Got "Liz Taylor"-room, slept like a baby in comfy bed, the shower is great, room neat and clean. Food in restaurant was very good, but the milk-shakes!!! They were the best I ever had in my life, still missing them! So yummy!
Breakfast with lots of choices and ALL STAFF WAS VERY HELPING AND FRIENDLY! Thanks again, you made my first stay in South Africa memorable!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear queenie64,

Wow, thank you so much for the great review of your recent stay with us. It is highly appreciated!

It brings both me and the TEAM such great pleasure to know that we were able to play a small role in making your first visit to South Africa a memorable one. We aim to give all of our GUESTS the best GUEST service at all times and we are constantly in search of excellence and the fact that our TEAM members were able to provide you with a helpful and friendly service brings me such delight!

We are most famous for our milkshakes- with their natural flavors (no artificial flavorings) to ensure that the greatest taste is achieved in order for the burst of flavor to taste like a party in your mouth.

Thank you again for this fabulous review, it is people like you that make the hard work that we put in worthwhile. We look forward to hosting you again, the next time you find yourself in South Africa!

Regards,

Trichardt, South Africa
Reviewed June 17, 2014

once again stayed at the hotel for 1 night.. had a procard free night voucher which I redeemed on this stay.. I have to say that I was really disappointed with some of the service I received this time.. the front desk was great but at night my daughter was hungry and wanted muffins to eat so I went to the restaurant area and enquired about it.. I was helped by a lady who said that they did have muffins and would get a waiter to assist.. upon asking the waitress she said that I will have to go to my room and call room service for to get the muffins which I then did.. but the lady who answered said that I could not order the muffins as they only serve them for breakfast.. are the staff too lazy to help the guests or do they not communicate properly with each other??? this was really frustrating.. after that I spoke to the manager at the food and told her about it and the muffins were available but was really upset about all that had happened that I didn't even want it anymore.. to make matters worse my keycard stopped working (problem with the lock on the door) and everytime I went out and came back I had to knock on the door and disturb everyone in the room .. this was sorted out but at 11pm I had to move my room and by this time my kids were falling asleep and then we had to move.. what was suppose to be a night of rest and relaxation turned out to be more of a night of frustration and definitely no relaxation.. also just a note to mention that the picture quality on the tv was really bad .. most channels were either snowy or had pictures jumping.. really disappointed with the stay and I have stayed there a few times before and the service seems to be getting worse!!! felt like a waste of a night and I am glad in a way that it was a free night voucher cos otherwise it will be just have been money wasted ..

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mohammed N
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear Mohammed N,

I am so terribly sorry that you and your family had such a poor experience on your last visit. As you have stayed with us on many occasions before and always enjoyed yourself, we have truly let you down.

I do appreciate the time you have taken to share this feedback and I was grateful to connect with you personally earlier this week. I have made it my priority to address these concerns and will make every effort to ensure that my TEAM are consistently ensuring that each and every GUEST enjoys an amazing experience on every stay.

We hope to have the wonderful opportunity of welcoming you and your beautiful family back and proving to you that we are truly proud of our services and we look forward to making it up to you.

Cape Town
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I stayed over for 1 night on business, room no 453 (Audrey Heburn theme), facing the courtyard and pool area (quite room).
Quick check in, room was clean and in excellent condition. Room service was quick, wake up call on time and breakfast choices & presentation superb. Did not eat dinner that evening.
Hotel has viby feel to it and was quiete busy, especially at check out time the next morning.
Can definetly recommend for anybody who enjoys a different style hotel.

Room Tip: 453 facing inner courtyard (quiet room)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Miriam C,

Thank you so much for your outstanding feedback on your recent stay with us; it brings us such great pleasure to read.

Giving all our GUESTS ‘the best GUEST service is of absolute importance to us and is exactly what the Fire & Ice! brand stands for and we pleased to know that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations from check in, which begins from the minute you enter into our establishment.

Our location is one of our paramount selling points, as the Melrose Arch Precinct is a very secure complex boasting a great deal of shops and eateries.

We trust that your stay was simply fabulous and look forward to your next escape at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice!

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Recently visited the hotel for drinks for meeting we I entered the hotel it looks very nice but once you sit down you notice that the place needs work the tables are dirty and should be replaced the staff are no where to be found we wait for 15 min for menus or to acknowledged I was then told that the table was booked For some one else but there was no one there to tell type that when we arrived, I really think the level of service has dropped since Anton has left the group, I really hope that Marrriot group can sort it out as this was a nice hotel..... what a pity!!!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank b-simon68
Dear b-simon68,

I refer to your recent visit and I am sincerely sorry for the poor experience you encountered.

Consistency is vital in our industry and unfortunately very noticeable when we do not get it right every time. Although we receive compliments on a daily basis about our establishment, the décor and atmosphere and many positive STAFF mentions about the wonderful service received, this certainly did not resonate during your visit.

I admit that we can only be as good as the last experience and once again I apologise for letting you, our GUEST down. I would love to have the opportunity to connect with you personally to ensure that this situation is correctly dealt with and that, as our valued GUEST we make every effort to turn the situation around.

Please feel free to contact me personally at gm@fireandice-ma.com. I look forward to hearing from you.