Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch
Ranked #10 of 70 Hotels in Johannesburg
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

It was the first time I stayed at this hotel, only for one night though. I would have to say, I would have no problems booking this hotel again. The hotel is clean, rooms have a funky modern retro film inspired theme, which made it stand out from the bog standard Protea hotels. Melrose Arch is a vibrant location and hotel fits in very well. All the staff I spoke to were very helpful, pleasant and service was good.

The hotel has a pool, was a great place to relax during my stay and the bar is an attraction in its own right!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rakesh K
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear Rakesh K,

This is definitely a review for the books; it was lovely to read about your fantastic experience with us!

We are very proud of the ‘Old Hollywood’ glamour theme and as it is a unique concept, it gives us great pleasure in knowing that you appreciated these extra touches. Being situated with the Melrose
Arch precinct adds to the vibrancy and fantastic atmosphere.

It is great to hear that my TEAM had provided you with excellent service and that each encounter was a wonderful one; we thrive on delivering the best GUEST service at all times.

Indeed the bar is one of our greatest attractions, with an awesome vibe, which offers an abundance of delicious drinks. This showcases just exactly what we do get right, almost all of the time.

Thank you for taking the time to review us. It would be nothing less than a pleasure to host you again and we thoroughly look forward to your next visit!

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

I am so glad I was only in this hotel for one night. I hated it. True it was clean and the beds were comfortable, but I could not stand the decor. It is supposed to be hip and modern but I am not into Hollywood and plastic furniture - pictures of movie stars outside each room. Although the breakfast was very good, room service was not. The food was mediocre and there was nowhere in the room to eat it. We had to eat on our beds. There was constant thumping from the music in the bar/disco(?) that was annoying. The bathroom lacked privacy. I will not be back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DallasKaren
Dear DallasKaren,

Thank you for taking the time to review us after your stay in November last year. It is most disappointing to read about your experience.

Our décor resembles the glitz and glam of the Old Hollywood Glamour era which is prominent in all our spaces, granted it’s not to everyone’s taste; however the comfort and cleanliness of our rooms and public facilities always receive top priority.

We take the good with the bad and even though you enjoyed a great breakfast it is disappointing to hear that our room service TEAM had let you down. We are currently implementing more training to achieve efficient service and to consistently prepare good food for us to surpass GUEST expectations; we know that such issues cannot be resolved overnight.

The feedback regarding the evening entertainment has been noted. Our product is all about being ‘trendy’ and ‘energetic’ and we aim to create an awesome vibe for our GUESTS. The DJ plays till 21h00 and then the music resumes to the background hotel music, though we will be monitoring the noise in future to keep the music at an acceptable level.

The concept behind the urban design of the open-plan bathroom is all about creating more space for your enjoyment. However, we do have suites available with a traditional en-suite bathroom and a separate lounge area to enjoy in room dining should you prefer that on your next stay with us.

We can assure you that your particular experience in no way represents the standard we're constantly striving to achieve as we only want to create moments of magic during every GUEST stay.

If you wish to discuss your experience in more detail, please contact me directly gm@fireandice-ma.com. We hope to have the chance of changing your opinion of us and I look forward to hearing from you.

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

20 minutes from the airport, a very clean hotel in a very lively neighbourhood. Perfect welcome by black staff, very young but experimented people. Very modern rooms, quiet, good mattresses. Very nice and quiet swimming pool area. Will definitely come back!

• Stayed January 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear travelaurent,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us after your recent stay.

We pride ourselves in offering fantastic accommodation, wonderful STAFF and of course pristine facilities. My TEAM and I pride ourselves in achieving excellence whilst striving to deliver exceptional service to all of our valued GUESTS.

Our bedrooms are designed in such a way to not only provide comfort but modern nuances and up to date features too. It is always great to hear when we are getting it right.

The weather is absolutely stunning this time of year and a day next to our pool is very inviting. Feel free to sip on a delicious milkshake or cocktail whilst basking under the African sun!

It was an absolute pleasure hosting you and we look forward to your return.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Good location, in a safe compound close to shops and restaurants. Unfortunately we were unpleasently surprised by the behaviour of the 3 concierge ladies we found on arrival. Probably not trained well enough, they seemed reluctant to be there, annoyed to assist us with basic things like making a local call, or with providing the wi-fi connection info. They kept talking to one another without looking at us pretending we werent there. When i saw them do it with other guests i realised i was not having visions. At one point we were so stuck we asked to talk to the manager on duty and they told us he/she wasnt around...
We left our bags at reception to go on a tour, and were told they'd be taken into our room immediately. Sure enough on our return late in the afternoon the bags were still there. We left some suggestions on the feedback form provided at reception, but never heard back from management.
The only reassurance came the next day, when we dealt with a wonderful lady who is in charge of transport, who organised a driver to take us to the airport with a smile. The driver was also very professional and pleasant. So I guess we were unlucky to encounter the three young grumpy ladies at check-in, but it certainly left a bitter taste in our mouth that kind of spoilt the experience. A little bit of training in customer service will certainly fix the problem.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom L
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Tom L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us after your recent stay in December last year.

Reading your review has definitely saddened me and your opinion of us is something that we are not proud of. I would like to apologize most sincerely for the bad service received and for creating such a poor first impression.

It is embarrassing to hear that my management TEAM was not available to assist you and that the situation was handled so poorly; we could have handled it more swiftly. Even though our TEAM continues to display genuine eagerness to please all our GUESTS, we are truly sorry to hear that this did not resonate during your interactions with our STAFF. I will conduct regular service training with the TEAM to ensure that each encounter with GUESTS is positive & efficient whilst showing a true sense of caring.

Despite the mishap, I am happy to hear that there was a moment of magic to brighten up your experience. We want each and every one of our GUESTS to be well attended to from the moment of arrival and to leave with fantastic memories. We take great pride in our product and the services that we offer however it only takes one poor review to make all of the previous efforts null and void.

Should you ever plan on visiting us again, please contact me directly on gm@fireandice-ma.com as we would love to surpass your expectations! Until then, safe travels.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Food: The breakfast buffet has very small amounts of food in the serving trays which makes the entire buffet look picked over and sparse. Good food though. Nice hotel design, more on the trendy side , meaning the shower has no door, is located in the room next to the bed. I like the idea of recyclable glass water bottles, but I question how they disinfect the bottles between uses as guests check in and out. That's why I went to the mall conveniently located down stairs and bought my bottled water. The Room: The rooms are too small and so are the beds, unless you are a hundred pound pre-teen, you will fall off the bed. Pool: FREEZING as it is not heated and is flanked by tall buildings on all sides. It seems to be the staff hang out/ smoking and break area. Staff: The front desk staff team are very nice, as for the staff upstairs in the restaurant ...well it's a matter of "luck of the draw" Although, there is a nice young lady from Zimbabwe and she was consistently courteous and provided excellent service. I noticed 4 couples complaining and engaged in heated discussions about their bad experiences with front desk staff or some drama that transpired during their stay. NEVER GOING BACK TO THAT PROPERTY. I like Protea Hotels, just not this location.

Room Tip: It a great place if you want to go binge drinking an a beautiful hotel bar filled with men on the lo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank africa247
Dear Africa247,

Thank you for providing us with detailed feedback after your recent stay with us.

Firstly, let me apologise most sincerely for the poor service you had received. It is certainly embarrassing to hear that your time spent with us was anything but special.

We strive to offer the best breakfast spread in Jozi and it wasn’t intentional to produce limited quantities; our TEAM replenish the dishes often and it definitely a point that needs reiterating as all of our GUESTS are to enjoy a delicious breakfast at all times.

The initial idea of our room design was to create the feel of open space; nor an office nor a home whilst offering a modern take on new age hotels. As part of our Sustainability Commitment we’ve joined the Vivreau Global Water Revolution & installed a Vivreau bottling system and we are constantly implementing ways of minimising our carbon footprint. I can assure you that the necessary stringent measures are put in place when cleaning the bottles as the safety of our GUESTS receives top priority.

Being within a precinct environment, there are offices located right next to the hotel including apartments. It is very concerning to hear that it is a STAFF hang-out area as this isn’t something that we take lightly. It is most unfortunate that this has detracted from your stay with us.

Unfortunately our pool isn’t heated and will definitely be an option worth considering should we upgrade the pool facilities in the future. Thank you for highlighting this suggestion.

Our property is all about the ‘energy’ and the ‘pulse’ and it is absolutely vital for us to make every effort to get it right. By hosting evening entertainment, we feel that we have achieved the perfect mix in providing our uber cool GUESTS with an experience of cool vibes playing in the background. The DJ normally plays till 21h00 and then the music resumes to the background hotel music, though we will be monitoring the noise in future to keep the music at an acceptable level.

Lastly, one of our Protea Principles is ‘The Best GUEST Service’ and it saddens me to know that my TEAM has let you down. I will conduct regular service training with the TEAM to ensure that each encounter with GUESTS is positive & efficient.

We would love to be given the opportunity to change your opinion of us on your next visit. Please contact me directly via gm@fireandice-ma.com and I will personally see to it that you are well looked after.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

I frequently stay here on business trips. Pity that this once super trendy hotel are falling to pieces: 1. Hand shower unit in bathroom was broken. 2. Shelf at basin lop sided and can't hold any weight. 3. Room serivce was shocking. Menu states R150 for a meal, but you get charged R165! Oxtail portion looked like a sample plate, it was so small.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Hein H
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Hein H

As a regular Fire & Ice! GUEST, thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent, yet unfortunate experience. My sincerest apologies that this stay was so terribly marred by the less than satisfactory standards.

I am sure you will know from your previous experiences, that this is most certainly not the ‘norm’. We have ensured that the inconsistencies have been attended to as well as tightening up daily, weekly and monthly maintenance measures. With our passion and determination to ‘getting things right’ consistently, we will ensure that no GUEST receives a less than satisfactory product.

The difference in menu prices was completely our error and has been corrected since and we have re addressed the dish portions and presentation to ensure that GUEST expectations are met and exceeded.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon and restore your faith in the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! brand and prove our commitment to delivering a quality product every time.

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed a few nights in the hotel. Loved the decor - so beautifully put together. The room was a little small as compared to some of the other places I have stayed at, however, it is perfect for a couple. Supper was delicious. Breakfast was amazing. The milkshakes are legendary :) Love the stores around Melrose Arch and found the hotel to be very well situated. Staff service was good. Only negative is that the price for hotel car parking seemed ridiculous.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Fatima S,

What a delight to read about your experience at our hotel!

Our hotel is young, urban and edgy with modern features which we are incredibly proud to showcase. The décor is beautifully designed to create the Hollywood star feel adding to the glitz and glam within the fabulous Melrose Arch precinct.

The bedrooms have been designed in such a way to create additional space and should you wish to have a bigger room upon your next stay I suggest that you reserve one of our gorgeous corner suites.

I will definitely extend your compliments onto the Food & Beverage TEAM. Whilst every effort is put into the preparation of our culinary offerings, I can assure you that your high praises make all of the hard work worthwhile. Legendary is definitely a word renowned to describe our delicious milkshakes; we have added a few more to our menu for your enjoyment.

Being part of a precinct environment, the parking for our hotel GUESTS is owned by Melrose Arch and unfortunately the pricing is a pre-determined rate. I do apologize that for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Thank you for taking the time to review us and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.