Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel about three times. We stay here because the location is good, you are near good restaurants and shops.
The reception staff are not very well trained and rather rude so dont expect to get wonderful service when you walk in the door..
The rooms are clean and well equipped, and the beds are comfortable.
The hotel restaurant has good service, the staff are friendly and the food is tasty, (try the burgers they very interesting). The "adult milkshakes" are also something you have to try when staying at this hotel.
The decor in the whole hotel is great, very modern and different.
However, I feel the hotel is very overpriced for what you get. If you look past all the decor of the hotel, its actually pretty basic with not great service.
One or two nights at this hotel is fine but I would not recommend staying any longer than that at a time.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
DesireBotha, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Dear CathyT

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent visit at The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the disappointment you experienced due to the poor front office experience encountered and shortfall in our service levels. We would like to assure you that this is not our normal standard. All GUESTS are very important to us and everything possible is done by our hotel TEAM to ensure that our GUESTS feel as special and valued as they are.

We have reiterated to the TEAM how important it is to deliver the best GUEST service and we hope to have the chance of proving to you that we are truly proud of our product and we value the enjoyment of our GUEST’S experience.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back.

The Fire & Ice! TEAM

There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch

Reviewed February 28, 2012

My partner and I received some accomodation at the hotel over a weekend - so we decided to go on holiday in our own city!

We loved the experience, the staff was outstanding, breakfast buffet delicious, the bar was such a vibe in the evenings, and our room was magnificent! What a treat!

The only two negatives - the room service ordering was not up to scratch, we struggled a bit to place the order; and the food from the deck was not as good as the rest of our experience. We thought we did better to go to other restaurants on the square.

Fire and Ice comes highly recommended! You cannot go wrong with a stay here.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
DesireBotha, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

Dear Nicole G

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit at The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch.

We were most pleased to hear that your “home away from home... at home” experience was a memorable and magnificent one, as it is our mission to focus on our GUEST’S enjoyment and service delivery is always a priority. It is always satisfying receiving such amazing comments.

We would just like to express our gratitude that you took the time to convey your constructive criticism, as it is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS’ experience our service and facilities. We value your feedback as an extremely important tool in our day to day operations, as this helps us to improve our services. We have accepted the poor room service and quality of the meal received on the deck, as an opportunity to simply do it better.

It was our pleasure to host you and we look forward to welcoming you back so that you can enjoy our hospitality to its best.

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights after arriving from London before flying on. The hotel was lovely and perfect location to get to bars and restaurants etc.

On arrival the reception staff did not even acknowledge us. After eating 10 mins we Asked if we could check in and after some strange looks was told we could do the check in but rooms would not be ready. After filling in the forms etc I asked if that was all and when we should come back? I was barked at " I am serving someone at the moment" excuse me I thought you are serving us!!! I really did start to worry and thought what had we done booking here .. But I did remember reading reception was not good so thought lets just ignor it.

Eventually we were able to get to our rooms after going back 3 times...

Rooms are lovely and well equipped for a city stay.

The pool and bar are are also very good and the staff are so lovely and always very friendly and talkative. They really do go the extra mile. It's so surprising that all the other staff excluding the reception are some of the best I have seen. Pitty reception being your first impression let it down... They could really learn a lot from the restaurant and bar staff when it comes to service with a smile and customer service.

The breakfast was very very good best I have seen in a city hotel.

Would go back if staying in Jo'Berg as good location... Let's just hope reception get some training ....

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear AllyD_2010

Thank you for your valued feedback which you posted on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch.

We are disappointed to hear that your overall impression of the Front Desk STAFF tainted your experience with us and we would like to apologise for not living up to your expectations. We receive an overwhelming number of positive responses and feedback from our GUESTS and the majority of them compliment the STAFF by name and commend the warm and sincere service received. As rewarding as this may be, we do understand and acknowledge that receiving one poor review, makes all our previous efforts null and void. We can assure you that the behaviour of the Front Desk STAFF is not our normal standard. We will certainly review your comments with the TEAM concerned and stress the importance of making a positive impression on every interaction.

Our Food & Beverage TEAM will greatly appreciate your pleasing compliments regarding being friendly, talkative and enjoying a very good breakfast. The TEAM thrives in doing good work and takes pride in doing so, and that feeling of pride is a great motivator. Without a doubt, your compliments will add to the TEAM motivation and we thank you.

Thank you once again for taking the time to comment on your stay. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back and prove to you that we are an establishment that prides ourselves on the services and products that we provide.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

Looking at this hotel when deciding where to stay, I was unsettled by a suspicion that it was all style and no substance. But after our stay I'd say that, while it certainly exudes style, there is substance to it too. I'd definitely recommend it. Service was warm, friendly and helpful, if not always completely efficient. The room was well-designed and comfortable and was glamorous and modern without ever feeling tacky. We arrived late and ordered a burger and salad from room service after eleven at night, and were served good food promptly without being charged unreasonably for it. Breakfast was not included and isn't cheap, but was well worth trying and even good value, if you're hungry - one of the two best I've had, with a spectacular array of unusual choices. The deli cafe associated with the hotel was another, cheaper option. Coffee was good but with some variability. I had trouble using the free wifi, not unusual in hotels I'm sad to say. Location wise, the hotel is well situated in terms of safety, convenience and attractions, but the Melrose Arch development can feel a little sterile, if you're looking for a taste of the city. Having been to some other Protea hotels I'm not sure I'd recommend the whole Protea chain, but I think Fire and Ice Melrose Arch is a real quality hotel and a worthwhile choice for younger travelers and couples.

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear Captaintrash

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review on Trip Advisor. Your kind words and compliments are greatly appreciated and they will without a doubt be conveyed to the TEAM congratulating them on a job well done.

The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch thrives on being trendy, young & uber cool. Therefore we are very proud of our services and facilities offered and you could not have given us a more humbling compliment by saying that we have both substance and style.

We look forward to welcoming you back so that we can continue delivering the service you so rightfully deserve.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

After an exhausting 34 hour day and night we arrived at this great hotel first thing in the morning. Great service in every direction - reception staff could not have been more helpful. The buffet breakfast was excellent and pool and outdoor lounge and bar areas very relaxing. Only downside was the Friday night disco which was louder than anything I have ever heard - had its upside as we found a great pizza place close by and lingered long over a bottle of fat b... white wine.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
DesireBotha, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Dear Doreen F

What an amazing comment regarding the restaurant and TEAM of the hotel. Your comments are allowing us an opportunity of recognizing brilliance from within our amazing TEAM of STAFF.

The feedback regarding the DJ evenings have been noted. Our DJ normally plays till about 23h00 and then the music resumes to the background hotel music, though we will be monitoring the noise in future to keep the music at an acceptable level.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Had a hire car for this trip and the sat nav was a useful. Melrose arch is a safe gated area - as other reviewers point out - not the cheapest place - but Woolworths is close and there is a great pizza restaurant close to the hotel.

The rooms are amazing to look at re design. However, they aren't particularly practical. The drain in the shower and sink are, as already highlighted, not good re water build up. To the point after the first night stay I really felt sorry for the cleaning staff for the work they have to put in to keep the bathroom area "shining". But 10 out or 10 for cleanliness. Bathroom is part of the bedroom - divided by a large shower curtain - so if you're body conscious sharing with a mate/friend ....... be prepared.

We stayed on a Friday and Saturday night. We had a notice in the bedroom that a DJ was in the bar that night - but the noise would stop at 11.00 .... well at 2pm it was starting to get quiet. The room overlooked the pool to give you an idea of how the noise travelled. On Saturday night - same noise issue but it stopped around 1pm (or I fell asleep and didn't notice it). So be prepared if you're looking for a quiet night's sleep on a weekend.

It's a very "hip" venue and clearly somewhere people want to be seen! Recommend the Sunday high tea for this experience - the woman wear their designer best - a country to true wealth extremes!

The hotel staff are amazingly friendly - the restaurant and bar are good - but expect tourist or top end pricing. I had the "high tea" on Sunday which was an experience. Again the staff made it but the food was okay. Recommend the passionfruit juice and "milk shakes".

A clean, comfortable and safe hotel (and area) to stay. Useful if you have a hire car to get around in - not a brilliant place if you are back packing and relying on public transport. All that said, still an nice experience to say you've stayed there.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep try to avoid rooms that over look the pool/bar area. Friends had a room facing...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
DesireBotha, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Dear CharlesP4

It really is wonderful to receive such a positive review as it makes the effort we put in to delivering “The Best GUEST service” truly worth it as we have made your stay a special one.

We strive on GUEST feedback as it is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding GUEST expectations, therefore your comments are much appreciated and invaluable to us.

As for the maintenance concern highlighted, we have stressed to the relevant department how important it is to make sure that the room is in good repair and that the facilities in the room are functioning properly. We would like to apologise for the frustration caused due to the water build up.

We can only hope we continue throughout passion of our product and our brand to continue delivering the service you so rightfully deserve.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

The Fire and Ice was very nice, clean and extremely friendly staff but because of a few mishaps and the location in town I would not stay there again. First off the hotel is in a nice area and safe at night. There are lots of nice restaurants to chose from and shopping around the mall but the area is also very expensive. I had to hire a private car everywhere I wanted to go which made life tough for me considering I am a tourist and on a minor budget. There are no taxis I could find. There is nothing in the area to do or sites to see which was the reason for my travel to Joburg. I was lucky enough that a tour service had openings for me or it would have been a bery expensive place to be. The hotel did not impress me for two reasons which could have just been a freak thing but it happened. The drain in the shower would not drain properly so water began to pile up in the shower and get onto the tile floor. I told someone about this the first night and it did not get fixed till the day before I left. They didn't even bother to ask to change my room until after it was fixed. The other thing was the private care they hired for me forgot me at a cinema at 1230 in the morning. The movie ended at 1100 pm. I called the number on the card and when I finally got to the hotel they said that number was no longer in service. I proceed to tell them I called they're sister hotel for a ride but they never transferred the message to pick me up. They didn't seem apologetic when they apologized which irritated me. Like I said these could have been freak things for this hotel considering other recommendations but it happened to me. If you have a car, you are there for business and don't have a budget then this is the perfect place for you. If your on a budget, can't afford to hire a car and don't want to be in an expensive area then this is not for you. I would have gone to stay in the Rosebank area. Cheaper hotels, cheaper mall and had a cinema to kill a few hours at night

• Stayed: January 2012