“Lots of glitz but the substance of delivery isn't there anymore”

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
London, UK
“Lots of glitz but the substance of delivery isn't there anymore”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I have been a regular visitor since November 2010 on business and I first went to the hotel just after it opened in August 2010. When I first there everything worked well and the staff were friendly - they were trying hard and succeeding (see my earlier review). Since then it has gone done hell progressively, it still looks stylish (even a little bling) but the core things are going wrong more often. Recent stays have included leaking water in the corridor outside the room, air conditioning failures at least twice and trainee staff left unsupervised to deal with guests at reception. Still find the staff very friendly and trying to help but feel the management team has lost its way on the basics.

Don't eat there either - evening food and room service is poor and there are plenty of choices nearby, Breakfast is OK but it's cheaper and with more choice in nearby cafes.

A final "watch-it" is their outdoor music nights - despite being largely a business hotel they do this on a Wednesday or Thursday - they are noisy and last to 11 - get a room overlooking the road. At the moment there is also building work at the back too there.

Room Tip: avoid overlooking the pool because of music and bar noise. Ask for a room overlooking the road.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
DesireBotha, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Dear SJS15

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor after your most recent visit at The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch.

We sincerely apologise for the disappointment you encountered on your last visit due to the shortcomings in both the physical issues as well as certain service aspects. I can assure you that these concerns were dealt with the necessary sense of urgency as these points raised are of a serious nature.

We receive an overwhelming number of positive responses and feedback from our GUESTS and the majority of them compliment the STAFF by name and commend the warm and sincere service received. As rewarding as this may be, we do understand and acknowledge that receiving one poor review, makes all our previous efforts null and void. We always stress the importance of making a positive impression on every interaction, and as we say, we can only be measured against a GUEST’S most recent encounter. Our product is all about the ‘energy’ and ‘pulse’ and it is absolutely vital for us to make every effort in getting the basics right every time.

We are greatly concerned that you feel the management have ‘lost their way’. We value the input by all our TEAM members but will take a serious re look at the style and the manner our senior TEAM members use to address procedures and resolve concerning issues.

As for the Food & Beverage concerns raised, we know that such issues are not always solved overnight; however we are very positive that with our continuous training and the mentoring structure that we have in place, this will only yield great results. As you are a long staying GUEST it is very fortunate that the centre offers both the convenience and variety so that our GUESTS have many dining options available to them. We are currently introducing a new restaurant menu which will definitely provide our regular GUESTS with some wonderful new meal options.

We do value your comments and can't thank you enough for providing us with such a detailed encounter of your stays with us. This information only allows us to continuously make improvements to our product and implement further preventative maintenance programs.

We do hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back once again and prove to you that we are truly proud of the quality of our product and the facilities that we provide.

The Fire & Ice! TEAM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Although I did my homework and researched the hotel in advance, I must admit that my expectations were lower than usual, especially with the negative advice I received from travel mates and reviews on Johannesburg. I also didn't like the fact that I'd be isolated from the outside world per the setup of Melrose Arch gated community....but I got over it once I took one step within the Protea Fire and Ice! The decor is utterly gorgeous and romantic, excellent use of color!!!! The rooms were spacious, immaculate and thoughtfully decorated.

Pros
Very helpful staff (especially front desk & housekeeping) to all 45 of us!!!

Security was present around the hotel at all times

Breakfast was buffet with plentiful selections - fresh fruit, made to order omelettes & eggs, pastries, etc...

Nice pool, lounge area and bar

Milkshake bar = the Ferrier Roche milkshake is the only way to go!

Cons
Lunch wasn't all that great, I would venture through Melrose Arch and eat lunch and/or dinner at OceanBasket, the Meat Company or another restaurant

Limited nightlife...but we made our own fun!

Overall, I enjoyed my stay @ Protea Fire & Ice Melrose Arch, would stay again and definitely recommend to others!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
DesireBotha, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear Foxxyjade

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent visit at The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch. We truly appreciate that you have taken the time to provide us with an in depth outline as to what transpired during your stay.

We were most pleased to hear that your expectations had been exceeded, as it is our mission to focus on our GUEST’S enjoyment and service delivery is always a priority. Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right constantly, therefor I would like to thank you for your kind words.

It was our pleasure to host you and we look forward to welcoming you back so that you can enjoy our hospitality to its best.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel and liked it very much. The design is very cool, the room was funky but at the same time cozy and equipped with everything necessary but nothing superfluous. The rain shower was especially nice.
The service in general was a little slow (check-in, Milkshake bar...) but the staff very friendly at all times. The milkshake I had was really good and the choice they have is quite creative (not the usual plain vanilla...). I didn't have breakfast or dinner at the hotel so cannot comment on that. There are various cafes and restaurants round the corner which is convenient.
Overall, I had a very enjoyable stay and the hotel is really something different.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Dear FerrisXL

We would just like to express our gratitude that you took the time to convey your constructive criticism, as it is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS’ experience our service and facilities. We value your feedback as an extremely important tool in our day to day operations, as this helps us to improve our services as Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently.

The Food & Beverage TEAM hope to get the opportunity of hosting you upon your next visit. We can guarantee that it will be a great experience!

We look forward to welcoming you back so that we can continue delivering the service you so rightfully deserve.

Funchal, Portugal
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Have been to this Hotel several times and have been seeing that the service is getting very weak in the last visits. A good example was on my recent stay, when they forgot my laundry,meventhough I had called housekeeping and had advised the reception. Asked 4 times to maintenance, reception and housekeeping to change my remote control of the TV....Unbelievable because I checked out and it was still not resolved. Also changing staff on a frequent basis, is also not a good sign. The service at the bar is getting worse, with all the new guys trying their best, but without any experience. Dont give a worse classification due to the quality f the room, the location and the simpaty of some of the employees.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Dear cdn07

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent visit at The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch. We are truly grateful that you have brought your concerns to our attention.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the lack of urgency in executing your request. We can assure you that this is not the normal standard that we so proudly strive to achieve. As you are aware Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service but we have failed dismally in this regard.

We will most certainly review your comments with the TEAM concerned and stress the importance of making a positive impression on every interaction with our GUESTS. While this does not detract from your experience, your comments will allow a better experience to other valued GUESTS by allowing us to correct an area of the TEAM so easily avoidable.

We do value your patronage and we are sincerely sorry that you experienced such an unpleasant service. If in the event you do decide to stay with us again in the future, please feel free to contact myself directly and I will gladly ensure that you have a comfortable stay.

Thank you once again for taking the time to comment on your stay. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back and prove to you that we are an establishment that prides ourselves on the services and products that we provide.

Desire Botha & TEAM
GUEST Relations Manager
Darfur, Sudan via Charlotte, NC, USA
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The Protea Fire and Ice isn't TRYING to be cool - it IS cool! It's hip, it's chic, it's artsy. It's ALL that!!! And more. The rooms -- hidden away behind nooks and cranies and twisty corridors - are spacious, and well lit, with bright lighting where needed: the bathroom mirror, and many lamps. It could use more variety in choosing which lights are lit - I tried to get the panel lighting behind the bed to stay on only, and wasn't able to, only with the overhead, which was too bright. I didnt' mind that the lovely bathroom with the cool, glass enclosed shower with the huge showerhead was inside the room, but it IS something to think about. However, there is a curtain that crosses the entire room if privacy is a concern. The frosted glass enclosed separate toilet was plenty large for me (loved the included magazine rack!), but may be a consideration for the claustrophobic. Not an inch of space is wasted, and not a single opportunity to exude chic-ness is missed. The chair, the desk, the mirrors, the "rose petal-strewn" carpet, the tucked away closets, the wall-to-wall wide open-able windows, the black/white/grey color scheme, the 50s era photos updated with black/white images of contemporary beauties and beaus (I had Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn and Naomi Campbell - quite a combo!). The common areas are great! Loved the elevator: dark and hazy -- very adult - with a pinlight on the control panel. And secure: you could only punch Lobby and the floor that was imprinted on your room card! The dining room is huge, open and art deco, with (very) low lighting for dinner and windows open to the sky for breakfast. Also some open air seating. The restaurant food was adequate, and varied. The menu was well done whimsy - especially the milkshake names (which i didn't try, but saw that many people did!). The bar area was lively and amenable, including an eating area to the side and an outside/open air area. The bar seems to be open FOREVER! But wasn't overly loud (unless maybe if you were on that floor!) There were so many cute and quaint little alcoves throughout the first floor that it made you want to just sneak away! The staff was lovely and helpful with welcoming smiles each time you passed the front desk. (Helps that you don't have to worry about who's a guest since the elevator isn't going to move if you don't have a key card!) The location is near perfect. You can walk to Melrose Arch shops and restaurants, and the Rosebank Train is only about 10 minutes away. (The hotel offers a shuttle, but wasn't operating when I was there.). I offer that it should be adult only. Not because I don't like children, but because it's not very child-minded. I saw a few children, and they just looked confused and lost -- with the exception of running up and down the spiraled staircase leading from the lobby to the dining area. It was too dark and too sterile, and the chairs were too big for them. As wonderful as this hotel is, all its chic-ness is lost on children. Even the milkshakes were mostly alcohol laced! I LOVED this hotel! It was very me!

Room Tip: I was on fifth floor, and I thought it was noise-free (more noise from INSIDE the hotel - cleaning...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Amnesty1
Dear Amnesty1

Thank you for your kind words posted on Trip Advisor after your recent visit at The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch. We really do appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to provide the hotel with a detailed overview as to what transpired during your stay. We were ecstatic to receive your compliments and without a doubt, we have commended the STAFF for their exemplary service.

As you are aware, The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, thrives on receiving GUEST feedback as it is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations. Therefore your comments regarding the property and TEAM are truly amazing. We can’t thank you enough for taking the time to post your comments and allowing us an opportunity of recognizing talent from within our remarkable TEAM of STAFF.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we look forward to welcoming you back so that you can enjoy our hospitality to its best.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Arrived on the Christmas weekend. We check in to our room on the 4th floor which was not comfortable as they are doing renovations on that floor and the room had a very strong smell of paint. When we called the front desk we were moved us to another floor instantly by the front desk manager. When we called for our luggage the lady that had originally checked us in was annoyed that she was not aware that we had moved rooms and wanted to know who had moved us without her being informed first. She was very impolite in her approach. The room was lovely decorated but quite small. We had a lovely time walking around the precinct and we really enjoyed the milkshakes and light meals. The dinner is very standard very few options. The breakfast was very good. We left on Christmas day we had a lovely time.

Room Tip: Book a suite they have more room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Dear Farhana H

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent stay at The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch.

Firstly we would like to apologise most sincerely for the unfortunate sequence of events during your stay with us over the Christmas period. The TEAM were undergoing preventative maintenance in selected rooms and we were hoping that it would allow us a great impression to our valued GUESTS. Unfortunately in this instance it was not the case and as a result of the occurrences it has left a poor impression.

We receive an overwhelming number of positive responses and feedback from our GUESTS and the majority of them compliment the STAFF by name and commend the warm and sincere service received. As rewarding as this may be, we do understand and acknowledge that receiving one poor review, makes all our previous efforts null and void. We can assure you that the behaviour of the Front Desk STAFF is not our normal standard. We will certainly review your comments with the TEAM concerned and stress the importance of making a positive impression on every interaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back so that you can enjoy our hospitality to its best.

Roodepoort, South Africa
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We arrived for the New Years Eve celebrations in Melrose Arch and was pleasantly surprised with the suites. The suites are comfortable, spacious and styled according to the decor and style of the Fire & Ice style. I cannot fault the suites - it is really great. I did have a problem with the batch plug and was very disappointed with the lack of service to sort it out - they eventually arrived and advised that they can 'fix' it the following day - which did not help me as we only stayed the one night.
Our experience in the restuarant was not great - we ordered finger foods and wine - our first wine choice was sold out and the portions were very small. We were so disappointed with the restaurant that we decided not to have NYE dinner there.
The in-room (free) wi-fi was fast and easy to access.

Room Tip: Corner suites are worth it!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
Dear ADavis1977

We would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the disappointment you experienced due to the poor dining experience and shortfall in our service levels. We would like to assure you that this is not our normal standard as all GUESTS are very important to us and everything possible is done by our TEAM to ensure that our GUESTS feel as special and valued as they are.

The TEAM we were most pleased to hear that your stay in the suite was comfortable. It really is amazing to receive such positive feedback from our GUESTS and we would like to thank you for your kind words.