“TREATED BADLY BEFORE ARRIVING AT LODGE”
Review of Kenjara Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Johannesburg
Kenjara Lodge
Johannesburg, South Africa
“TREATED BADLY BEFORE ARRIVING AT LODGE”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I bought 2 City Slickers vouchers. I phoned the lodge to make a booking, Wally told me that he will book the weekend, but Sarah will call to confirm, because she works half a day. I emailed Sarah telling to please confirm that weekend. I had not heard from Sarah by 9h15 the next day, so I decided to call.....Wally told me that she will be in shortly. At 10h00 I called, Sarah told me to send the vouchers and then she will confirm. Waited until 11h00.....no reply....I called back....Sarah SHOUTED to me "I am busy checking in the International guest and cannot help you...will try and send the confirmation by the end of the day".

Sorry my family and I have travelled INTERNATIONALLY AND LOCALLY......this was the first time that we received this type of treatment.

I contacted City Slickers...... for a full refund.

IF SHE IS SO RUDE OVER THE PHONE.......HOW WOULD GUEST BE TREATED ONCE YOU AT THE LODGE.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BMW522

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 12, 2013

After seeing a deal on City Slicker for the voucher for 1 night stay for 2 including breakfast, I decided to purchase 2 for a weekend getaway. We arrived at the lodge and felt scared to exit the vehicle as the surrounding area was of extreme poor quality. Checked in at the front desk, and was showed to our room. There was no indication from any staff to advise of breakfast times. Once entering the room noticed that the front door was unable to close 'quietly' as we had to slam the door each time to be able to lock it. The room was very poor, the duvet cover had large brown stains all over, the carpets were stained, shabby and extremely old, the covering on the base of the bed had moist stains all the way down to the floor, the toilet did not fill up properly so was unable to flush some of the times and the toilet was leaking from the back. The shower curtain was stained brown and there were brown grease marks running down from the wall from previous guests, in the shower and at the basin. The station channels on the TV was very bad, some channels the picture could not be seen from too much static, and they advised that they offer DSTV, which was 1 channel only of which management decided what their guests should watch. The Friday night I was advised they were holding a birthday party but the noise would not be too bad as they were holding it in the Boma area. At around 10:30pm I was woken to shouting outside my door by youngsters, as my room was next to the main entrance of the bar, which carried on past midnight, there was no interference from management side to lower sound levels. When you enter the front dirt road, there is no fencing, walls, no security at all around the premises; therefore you are in fear of sleeping in a recent high crime area. Cannot comment on their food offered as I didn’t eat anything. Kenjara should change their name to Kenjara backpackers. Local travelers try to get away into the Country side for some peace and quiet from our hectic daily lives. This experience has put me off the Muldersdrift accommodation area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jr7958
Boksburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My first impression made me want to turn the car around and go home. I booked Kenjara as I had bought vouchers thinking I was getting a good deal, never again! The price I paid was still not worth the accommodation. Room was neat but needed a good scrub and actually bulldozed and rebuilt would be better. Shower made a big mess, toilet seat loose, bathroom door did not close or lock. Curtains gaped at the sides,door handle almost falling off, bed hard, pillows so soft they were almost non existent. Hardly slept a wink, we felt quite isolated. No security but there were the dogs (which barked a lot at night) and were allowed all over the main house, did not have a problem with that as I am an animal lover but some people would not like it.
The only good thing I can say is .... the dinner was excellent! Started with black mushrooms with cheese, divine. Main was chicken schnitzel, baked potato and veg, awesome ! The price of the meal was reasonable.
I'm sorry the place is good for passing trade. First impression was right !

Room Tip: Not my cup of tea.