“Great Indian food”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Some of the best Indian curries available in JHB - the restaurant in Sandton City is by far the no.1 choice for chicken biryani as well as fantastic range of curries. Great naan breads as well

Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Raj in Rivonia has consistently great food. The curried lamb shank is succulent and delicious. the vegetarian bryani is the best I have eated. we even get it as takeaways with yellow Taka dhall on a regular bases. The Michaelangelo Towrs branch also has been consistently good. Our first meal at the Montecasino branch was excellent but on our last visit a month ago the ame meal was terrible. The chickpea curry had a burnt taste but the chef refused to acknowledge it. The manager ignored our complaint until we asked for the maitre de who then apologised. The previous manager has moved to Primi Mafia opposite them which may explain the poor service. I would recommend the Rivonia and Michaelangelo branch anyday.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great food , excellent service . Whole experience is a big positive - wonderful selection and very tasty food. Well prepared and good serving sizes

Reviewed October 22, 2012

it really felt like i was eating mass made food- food was too hot yet tasteless, and way to expensive for food that wasnt great--disappointing

Reviewed August 22, 2012

The Raj is located at Mandela Square in Sandton City. It has very nice ambience and the wait staff and the greeters are friendly and knowlegable. The prices are in line with what you'd expect to pay at a (very) good Indian restaurant. The first meal I had there was the Lamb Vindaloo. Although warned about the heat, I had eaten vindaloo before and was fine with it. This preparation blew the lid off. If I had not ordered a side of the cucumber-based Raita, I would have been in deep trouble. The next time I ate there I ordered a Rogan Josh, medium hot, please. Excellent. Even if you order your dish mild, it is still very spicy anyway, without the heat. All this means that The Raj doesn't cut corners with their recipes and give you bland food. I believe that in all of the art of cuisine, there is truly nothing worse than bland Indian food. Certainly not here. I had been given a suggestion to order the "Butter Chicken". I had never heard of that dish before or seen it on any menu, so I had it. If you are on a diet, this dish is not for you. It is probably the "heaviest" meal I've ever eaten. The chicken is literally cooked in pure butter (mouth watering tender result), and covered with a heavy red tomato sauce. A gazillion calories. Took (at least) half of it back to my hotel room. Had a cold Stella on draught to go with each meal. Last thing to say about The Raj (and a pleasant surprise), is that the portions are larger than any other Indian restaurant I've eaten at. Not exactly twice as big, but nearly. So the value is excellent. If you have a "delicate" palate, or have trouble with spicy foods, go somewhere else. About the only thing bland on this menu is a side order of basmati rice.