“Raj, Rajah of Indian Cusine at Mandela Square”

The Raj Indian Cuisine
Ranked #777 of 1,237 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2012

One of the personal favourites for indian restaurants in johannesburg, excellent food ranging for about R400 for supper for 2, great romantic settings , very quiet and intimate

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I had gone to Raj as I had heard about the restaurant from a lot of my local contacts. I ordered Biryani and I must say that being from Hyderabad, the biryani was flop for me. Over all the waiters were very courteous and professional. Food was a disappointment as it was very hot (chilly) and a let down for me. Maybe my expectations were very high.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Not the best of Curries, but really average! The food was not freshly prepared and one could taste that.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

As an Indian, homesick for Indian food, The Raj performs really well. The décor is generic, which is a pity, but Emmanuel, our steward, was more than sweet, taking our orders with ease and flair. The pricing is approx. 10% less than The Bukhara (another fine Indian Restaurant, on the second floor). The portions are 20% less. Try the simple ‘Dal Tarka’ and ‘Jeera Rice’, the staple food of millions of Indians back home !

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Let me put it this way yes, the food is authentic whether it worked well with my western pallet it another thing. I love my spicy food but it still has to have flavor and satisfy, the food is average and the quality not great. There are many fantastic Indian cuisine restaurants in Johannesburg and this is not one of them.