“Nightmare”

Lakeview Backpackers
“Nightmare”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I landed in Johannesburg to find my driver wasn't their waiting and Lakeview emails were bouncing back. I called and was told my driver would be there in 10minutes. Half an hour later he arrives. He was very nice but having to wait in total 50minutes, after 20 hours of travel was not impressive.
When I arrived my room lacked security, the shared bathrooms were dirty and the toilet didn't flush. A sleepless night in an unsafe city made this a nightmare. I will never be staying here again or recommending it to anyone.
The staff were really really nice. The room, bathrooms and bedroom door security were appalling.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Emily C

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chennai
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was my first trip to South Africa and I arrived late at night (23:30) and I had emailed them about my arrival at lakeview@iburst.co.za but the email bounced and I was worried. I could not call the number as well. But, when my cab dropped me in front of Lakeview, I called Ronelle and she was very helpful and thoughtful. After I got in, they got my room ready and made me feel comfortable.

The facilities are minimal, simple yet good - it almost felt like I was staying at a friend's place. On day two, I panicked because I thought I lost my phone and wallet and told Ronelle about it. She handled the situation very calmly and was so helpful. But later when I found it misplaced in the room (it had fallen behind a curtain) she made coffee for me and even dropped me at the Gauteng station to help me go for shopping.

A few things to remember:
There is no wi fi internet here. So, please make your own internet arrangement
There are no shops nearby - take your own toiletries or food if you need.
No public transport nearby though they can arrange a cab for you.
There is a beautiful lake behind Lakeview.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank srini091
essex
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in total. They arranged an airport pick up and drop off saving us 100 rand.
You just feel at ease here, anything can be arranged. Its 10 min walk to the supermarket and some food courts.
Thr only thing to make it perfect would have been wifi! You can pay to use the internet though!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank sam12370
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Situated near the airport, they will arrange to have a taxi pick you up if you call them at the airport. Depending on the time of day, the price may differ, so i confirmed the price on the phone first so i knew how much to give the taxi. Drop offs back to the airport work the same way, and they might drive you themselves but they still charge the transfer fee.

The premises are very clean, safe, and super spacious. Also, the lake and park nearby are beautiful if you have some time, but not enough to go out to the city. Super friendly staff open to hanging out or respecting your privacy if you choose.

Wifi will be available soon (but not as of early April), and they also provide a continental or full breakfast for extra cost. The night i was there they also cooked some steaks for dinner and was reasonably priced, with sides including potatoes, salad, and bread, which were all delicious, and saved me a trip to get some groceries. Not sure if they do that every night, so you should ask. I had commented that I was a bit hungry while they were getting the dinner prepared, and Ronel made sure i was okay, and got me my food as soon as possible -- super hospitality.

They've got some dogs and a kitten around. Also a bar area out in the backyard, so depending on the group, there could be some noise during the evenings, but still at acceptable levels.

There are at least two separate bathrooms (toilet and shower together), and are very clean. Definitely would recommend, especially if you are only in Joburg for a short time, like an overnight layover, as was my case.

Room Tip: The 4-bed room didn't seem to have too many outlets to charge things, but around the other commo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed March 2, 2013

What an awesome group of welcoming, friendly, interesting people running a charming backpackers! They took excellent, personalized care of us. The owners were approachable but not overbearing, easy-going but always available for questions or concerns. We really did feel as if we were staying with good friends! A fun, low-key atmosphere where the staff are often mingling with guests, but not a loud, party-type vibe. The grounds are well set-up to provide quiet places to hang out like the beautiful front and back yards, or places to gather/share some good times around the pool, outside bar, or tv room. Rooms provided enough comfort & quiet for a good night's rest. Beds were comfortable, nice hot showers, coffee/tea available all the time, they will even take care of ordering food or taking you to the store if you want (also, there’s a small shopping center within walking distance that has a great café and grocery store), kitchen and bathrooms were good, and everything is clean. Facilities are all in good repair and adequate, although upgrades are planned. There’s a neat lake and park directly behind the house and also another pond/lake within 2 blocks or so that’s very nice. One thing I would note is that individual rooms don’t have locks (at least ours didn't), but the grounds are gated and the place is situated in a very nice, clean, pretty neighborhood, and the staff and other backpackers we met were all easy-going, good people, so we never had any worries. They took great care to pick us up AND bring us back to airport at a very reasonable rate, and on time. Pricing is about the best around the area, although while some backpackers don’t charge to pick you up, they will charge going-rate to bring you back which is about double what Lakeview charges, so I figure it evens out. A couple super-cute dogs help round out this charismatic place that we would highly recommend and definitely return to in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RobinSPH
Nelspruit
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I left this place feeling like I'd stayed over at a friend's house! The owners are absolutely lovely people, always willing to help or just have a chat. It was a great place to meet other travelers and everyone hung around the bar in the evening. The whole experience was just very chilled and informal. It certainly isn't one of those super-commercialised hostels trying to sell you every tour on the market. However, it does quitely provide the services you may well need-like pick ups and drop offs. The only improvement I can suggest is that the house could do with a little maintanence. Overall, though, a pleasant and homely experience. Would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I can't praise this Hostel highly enough. But I can try.. The 'staff' of Rhonel and Cornelius are happy to leave you to your own devices or to help plan, organise and advise on your whole stay. The accom itself is superbly located from the airport (book the pick-up, drop-off the Hostel provides as cabs are way more expensive), has a lovely pool, a relaxed informal vibe, decent kitshcen facilities and what it lacks in water pressure it more than makes up for with charm, laughs and comfy pillows!

In short, it worked for me and next time I visit I will deffinitly be stayiong here. FACT. Enjoy..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank El_Duderino411
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Premier Hotel OR Tambo
#10 of 66 in Kempton Park
Malandela Guest Manor
Malandela Guest Manor
#35 of 295 in Johannesburg

Been to Lakeview Backpackers? Share your experiences!