“A friendly vibe, charming place & great value!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lakeview Backpackers

Lakeview Backpackers
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Johannesburg
Lakeview Backpackers
You added Lakeview Backpackers to your Saves list
39 Porto Amelia Road | Bonaero Park 1622, Kempton Park, Johannesburg, South Africa   |
Salisbury, North Carolina
“A friendly vibe, charming place & great value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

What an awesome group of welcoming, friendly, interesting people running a charming backpackers! They took excellent, personalized care of us. The owners were approachable but not overbearing, easy-going but always available for questions or concerns. We really did feel as if we were staying with good friends! A fun, low-key atmosphere where the staff are often mingling with guests, but not a loud, party-type vibe. The grounds are well set-up to provide quiet places to hang out like the beautiful front and back yards, or places to gather/share some good times around the pool, outside bar, or tv room. Rooms provided enough comfort & quiet for a good night's rest. Beds were comfortable, nice hot showers, coffee/tea available all the time, they will even take care of ordering food or taking you to the store if you want (also, there’s a small shopping center within walking distance that has a great café and grocery store), kitchen and bathrooms were good, and everything is clean. Facilities are all in good repair and adequate, although upgrades are planned. There’s a neat lake and park directly behind the house and also another pond/lake within 2 blocks or so that’s very nice. One thing I would note is that individual rooms don’t have locks (at least ours didn't), but the grounds are gated and the place is situated in a very nice, clean, pretty neighborhood, and the staff and other backpackers we met were all easy-going, good people, so we never had any worries. They took great care to pick us up AND bring us back to airport at a very reasonable rate, and on time. Pricing is about the best around the area, although while some backpackers don’t charge to pick you up, they will charge going-rate to bring you back which is about double what Lakeview charges, so I figure it evens out. A couple super-cute dogs help round out this charismatic place that we would highly recommend and definitely return to in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RobinSPH

Nelspruit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I left this place feeling like I'd stayed over at a friend's house! The owners are absolutely lovely people, always willing to help or just have a chat. It was a great place to meet other travelers and everyone hung around the bar in the evening. The whole experience was just very chilled and informal. It certainly isn't one of those super-commercialised hostels trying to sell you every tour on the market. However, it does quitely provide the services you may well need-like pick ups and drop offs. The only improvement I can suggest is that the house could do with a little maintanence. Overall, though, a pleasant and homely experience. Would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I can't praise this Hostel highly enough. But I can try.. The 'staff' of Rhonel and Cornelius are happy to leave you to your own devices or to help plan, organise and advise on your whole stay. The accom itself is superbly located from the airport (book the pick-up, drop-off the Hostel provides as cabs are way more expensive), has a lovely pool, a relaxed informal vibe, decent kitshcen facilities and what it lacks in water pressure it more than makes up for with charm, laughs and comfy pillows!

In short, it worked for me and next time I visit I will deffinitly be stayiong here. FACT. Enjoy..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank El_Duderino411
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed here on my way over to Mozambique as a solo traveller. I met a very welcoming couple who had just taken over the place. They were informative, helpful and friendly. Even ended up enjoying beers and a meal with them and two others who were staying at the hostel in the evening.
It is also possible for them to help you with airport pickups and bus station drop offs.
Finally it is close to the shops if you are self catering.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sam4444_12
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

The owner, Romel is a character and there is no doubt that she makes you feel extremely welcomed into her home and to SA.

The property itself is average and a little jaded, though I believe they are in the midst of doing works to the property. The amenities however are good; the kitchen has ample space for people staying to cook and all the basic equipment needed for self caterers. The sitting room area has a large TV, plenty of movies, board games and books and feels very relaxed and the pool is set in a lovely back garden.

The wifi wasn't working when I stayed so I was informed I was able to use a laptop, however I wasn't particularly happy that I was charged for this when leaving. I wouldn't have minded so much if I was made aware of this beforehand but to spring it on me via the bill wasn't particularly welcomed. This unfortunately also happened with the pick up from the airport. When arriving I phoned as instructed and was told someone would collect me but no fee was mentioned and when booking it had stated that it was included. I illustrated my frustrations with this and Ronel agreed to only charge a one way fee rather than return but it nonetheless left me with an unpleasant feeling.

All in all a lovely stay, it was just such a shame about the ending as until that point I had thoroughly enjoyed it and had felt extremely well looked after.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank deluxetrolley
Port Townsend, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have stayed at many different types of lodging in my world travels and I can say without reservation that this place is the most memorable. I had not planned to stay in Jo'berg but was traveling with a standby ticket for a flight to Atlanta leaving once a day...I ended up staying there 4 nights. Ronel and Cornelius were so helpful and patient, it was truly amazing be the beneficiary of such generosity. I felt like I was visiting old friends in their warm and friendly home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Close to the airport, friendly and very helpful, and close to shops if you are self catering.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Terrylin Backpacker's Hostel
The Residence Boutique Hotel
#1 of 73 in Johannesburg
5.0 of 5 stars 472 reviews
Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff Johannesburg

Been to Lakeview Backpackers? Share your experiences!