“A hostel that feels like home”

Lakeview Backpackers
Nelspruit
“A hostel that feels like home”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I left this place feeling like I'd stayed over at a friend's house! The owners are absolutely lovely people, always willing to help or just have a chat. It was a great place to meet other travelers and everyone hung around the bar in the evening. The whole experience was just very chilled and informal. It certainly isn't one of those super-commercialised hostels trying to sell you every tour on the market. However, it does quitely provide the services you may well need-like pick ups and drop offs. The only improvement I can suggest is that the house could do with a little maintanence. Overall, though, a pleasant and homely experience. Would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I can't praise this Hostel highly enough. But I can try.. The 'staff' of Rhonel and Cornelius are happy to leave you to your own devices or to help plan, organise and advise on your whole stay. The accom itself is superbly located from the airport (book the pick-up, drop-off the Hostel provides as cabs are way more expensive), has a lovely pool, a relaxed informal vibe, decent kitshcen facilities and what it lacks in water pressure it more than makes up for with charm, laughs and comfy pillows!

In short, it worked for me and next time I visit I will deffinitly be stayiong here. FACT. Enjoy..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank El_Duderino411
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed here on my way over to Mozambique as a solo traveller. I met a very welcoming couple who had just taken over the place. They were informative, helpful and friendly. Even ended up enjoying beers and a meal with them and two others who were staying at the hostel in the evening.
It is also possible for them to help you with airport pickups and bus station drop offs.
Finally it is close to the shops if you are self catering.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sam4444_12
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

The owner, Romel is a character and there is no doubt that she makes you feel extremely welcomed into her home and to SA.

The property itself is average and a little jaded, though I believe they are in the midst of doing works to the property. The amenities however are good; the kitchen has ample space for people staying to cook and all the basic equipment needed for self caterers. The sitting room area has a large TV, plenty of movies, board games and books and feels very relaxed and the pool is set in a lovely back garden.

The wifi wasn't working when I stayed so I was informed I was able to use a laptop, however I wasn't particularly happy that I was charged for this when leaving. I wouldn't have minded so much if I was made aware of this beforehand but to spring it on me via the bill wasn't particularly welcomed. This unfortunately also happened with the pick up from the airport. When arriving I phoned as instructed and was told someone would collect me but no fee was mentioned and when booking it had stated that it was included. I illustrated my frustrations with this and Ronel agreed to only charge a one way fee rather than return but it nonetheless left me with an unpleasant feeling.

All in all a lovely stay, it was just such a shame about the ending as until that point I had thoroughly enjoyed it and had felt extremely well looked after.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank deluxetrolley
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have stayed at many different types of lodging in my world travels and I can say without reservation that this place is the most memorable. I had not planned to stay in Jo'berg but was traveling with a standby ticket for a flight to Atlanta leaving once a day...I ended up staying there 4 nights. Ronel and Cornelius were so helpful and patient, it was truly amazing be the beneficiary of such generosity. I felt like I was visiting old friends in their warm and friendly home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Close to the airport, friendly and very helpful, and close to shops if you are self catering.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Hamburg
Reviewed January 31, 2012

This place is definitely in my top 5 Hostels in the last 11 month of traveling. Ronel runs that place in such a nice way, that you feel immediatley at home when she starts to show you arround and talk to you! Her place is very close to the airport and when i needed a lift to somewhere, she took me there or found another way to help me. When i´m coming back to Jo´burg, that will be the one and only pick i would make! Clean rooms, nice common area and everything you need!
Furthermore it´s close to a to a casino and a shoppingmall, where you can spend some time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
AirportInn & Suites Isando
#53 of 107 in Johannesburg
Sunflowers Guesthouse
Sunflowers Guesthouse
#11 of 65 in Kempton Park

Been to Lakeview Backpackers? Share your experiences!