Okay, this is a 4.5 for me but since trip advisor won’t let me put that, I’m rounding off to 4 (not 5, because I do have some suggestions)
My wife and my one year old son stayed in Ashdown place for 2 months while we relocated to Johannesburg recently and I have to begin by saying nothing is too much for Glenys and her team.
She runs a tight ship and while it may seem a little extreme in the beginning (some of the staff is positively terrified of her), but you soon begin to realize that it is this rigorous regime of discipline that results in the consistency that a guest experiences in Ashdown House.
Bear in mind, that this isn’t designed to be a child friendly guest house (mostly corporate guests), but the staff would do everything possible to make it comfortable. They put a microwave, an additional fridge and removed some of the furniture to give us more space. During the stay, when they realized that my child was unwell and was sleeping with his mom, they put an extra bed in my room for no additional charge. Brilliance! As a sendoff, Glenys personally cooked us the most awesome Biryani dinner, which my wife described as the best she has had outside of Hyderabad.
A big shout out to Nicolene, Nadya, Jan, Gertrude and every other member of the staff who made us so comfortable. My wife actually got a little emotional while leaving.
Of course, in all fairness, I also have a few suggestions to make. This is coming from staying in Ashdown for 2 months and would probably affect people in long stays more.
1) The parking space needs to be covered. The amount of bird poo and dry leaves that fall on your vehicle make for a ‘crappy’ situation.
2) In the suites, a sliding door between the bed and sitting area would help immensely in making the space more private when needed. Would have been great with the kid.
3) In the winters, the swimming pool can be covered. I didn’t see one guest use it in the 2 months I was there.
4) The electric sensor on the 1st gate doesn’t work properly. It resulted in my rental car being damaged while exiting one day. Cost me 3200 Rand in excess for insurance, without it being my fault. I didn’t ask the B&B to pay for it since they were just so nice. Any other place, I would have made a big tantrum.
5) The wi-fi in room no. 8 just doesnt work. Had to sit out in the cold many evenings to skype with my family back home
All the above may seem like they are negatives, but the way I see it - these are minor quick fixes.
All said and done, it's a great place with very friendly folks. I would recommend it to everyone I know. My congratulations to Glenys for maintaining such stellar standards.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ashdown House is an upmarket, exclusive guesthouse in Bryanston, Johannesburg. Relax at the pool, enjoy a drink at the "Club House" before retiring to one of the beautifully appointed rooms. Unwind in 5 star luxury and comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Ashdown House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.