“Good business hotel, stylish and spacious”

Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed October 12, 2009

A rather strange foyer with somewhat bizarre funishings, but nice in its own way. Huge rooms with good facilities. Wifi at a reasonable cost. Helpful business centre. Good restaurant and bar. Lovely pool though it was closed rather a lot while I was there. Overall, though, a very good experience.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
The_GMTheRosebank, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2009

Dear Guest

I am thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel. Thank you for your positive feedback which I will share with my team.

Best wishes

Reviewed October 10, 2009

I had stayed at the Rosebank some years ago and was pleasantly surprised by the (radical) improvements that have taken place. The rooms are modern and well equipped; the beds are very comfortable indeed, with high quality bedding and linen. The bathroom, though very small, was serviceable, the shower worked well and the towels and toiletries were fine. The staff were very friendly. Most were also efficient (in particular the two women at the travel desk were very helpful and well organised). Others seemed well intentioned but were not quite "on the ball" about everything - at check-in they said they couldn't find our reservation (made over the internet) and even when we had showed them the print-out of our confirmation it took a long time to sort things out. Being so near to Rosebank Mall is great as it is a short and safe walk away, with plenty of cafes, restaurants and good shops - the African Craft Market on a Sunday morning is fantastic.
Other minor moans about the hotel: the lighting over the desk is very poor. I was pleased to be able to use their wifi but had to peer at my laptop because it was so gloomy in that part of the room. Surely it would be easy to have a lamp there? One of the doors to the wardrobe is fixed in place (ie it isn't a door, it's a panel) and it meant having to be a contortionist to gain access to one's clothes. Having said that, there was a full-size iron and ironing board in the wardrobe, which was very useful after a long flight.
I have to say that the decor in the lobby/reception area is not to my taste at all. Some may call it trendy but others would call it a bit of a dog's breakfast and I would be firmly in the latter camp. However the bedrooms are very pleasantly decorated and much more calming.
I would recommend this hotel to others as being good value in a good location; it is not a five star hotel but they don't charge five star prices.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Second stay here in two weeks and I am enjoying it more and more. The somewhat garish but expansive lobby starts to look trendy and modern and the new rooms seem more and more inviting. Excellent front-desk staff elevate this hotel above the norm. Rooms are really new and fresh with great flat-screen TV sets and ipod docking stations. Major gripe is the exceptionally small bathrooms (no bath in either of my rooms) which are modern but oh so cramped. In fact, the bathroom does not do the room justice. However, the entire experience is really pleasant and I would not hesitate to stay here again - in fact, I really want to - and this property is a lot more exciting and fresh than the more expensive Grace up the road! Internet access is far too costly though! And, its a short 7 minute walk to the Rosebank CBD and mall...quite safe for Johannesburg and an easy stroll. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
The_GMTheRosebank, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2009

Dear Guest

I am delighted that you enjoy our hotel. We are very proud of it too. I will be sure to share your review with my entire team. They really get a kick out of positive re-inforcement. I am thrilled that our modern decor is growing on you, but I must say that I am most proud of my team that always go the extra mile. Last year we introduced a merit award program. Next month sees our first employee of the year, Jane Mello, jet off on a fully paid for holiday to Mauritius with her mother.

We are trying to source a more reasonanly priced internet service provider, so watch this space.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza.

Regards

Trevor Latimer

PS - rooms with baths are available on request.

Reviewed August 24, 2009

Stayed one night on 22 August 2009. I called Vusi at reservations 5 days in advance to request 3 rooms on the same floor. She was going to email me a confirmation. I never received anything and called her again 2 days later. On arrival, we discovered that none of the 4 rooms we had reserved were on the same floor. The receptionist managed to give us 2 rooms on the same floor after we insisted that we want at least our daughter on the same floor. It was a Saturday night and the hotel was not very full.The receptionist also appeared to be ignorant of the Priority club loyalty program.The rooms are comfortable but the bathrooms are extremely cramped.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
The_GMTheRosebank, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2009

Dear Guest

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the poor service experienced at the hotel. I understand from my team that they have been in direct correspondence with a letter of apology. I thank you also for your observations with regards to our Priority Club Program. Remedial training is already underway.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 24, 2009

This is a superb business hotel, recently renewed.
We had all comforts (SONY LCD 46", Ipod Docking station, etc.) except for hot water!
We stayed for 2 days and we couldnt' manage to have a shower!
I finally had to was my hairs with hot water from the coffee machine!

The hotel could only send maintenance personel to open the tub and touch the cold water....
they initially said that the hot water comes from the top of the building and that I had to wait for the hot water to arrive at 2nd floor, than they said that nobody had hot water in the hotel...
I can understand techical problems, but they didn't care at all :-(

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Please allow me to apologise for your poor experience. Your comments have highlighted the need for a heightened level of internal communication from management downward. This would have then provided you with the accurate account of our technical problem from the outset. We have set up an internal communication tool to address this issue going forward.

I do hope we will see you again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed July 27, 2009

Simply perfect; Huge Breakfast buffet, fresh food, very nice rooms, and barthrooms, very clean... We definitely loved it! You must go there.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2009

This is a good clean average hotel. It is a busy place. Wireless internet is available for a fee. It is similar to a well appointed Marriott. Room is quiet. Nothing great about the views. It is walking distance to the Mall but only go in the daytime. The Mall has nice shops, an African Market and restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business