“A hotel in need of a refurb”

Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
Dublin, Ireland
“A hotel in need of a refurb”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Have stayed in this hotel 6-7 times, this time I brought my family and it was on this trip that I really noticed how this hotel is in serious need of a refurb in the rooms and corridors. Also the idea of a glass wall around the bathroom, looking into the bedroom is totally impractical when you have anyone else in the room.

I am a platinum member of the IHG group.

Won't be back until they have done some work on this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Les D (Dublin, Ireland)

I am delighted to advise you we have just started on the first step of the refurbishment of our guest rooms . I have copied our interior decorating team in on your mails as well, I do hope that we will seeing you back at The Crowne Plaza at some stage soon.
Head Concierge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 18, 2014

If it was not for the very comfortable bed and quiet room, I would have walked out of the hotel upon arriving at my room.

Worst service ever and a simple "I don't care" attitude from staff. I've provided written feedback to the management about several issues that occurred during my stay which were completely unacceptable and I'm yet to hear back from them, which is most concerning.

In short - avoid at ALL costs.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Mr Riaan V
Thank You for your review received. Brandon Adams our Front Office Manage has been in touch with you regarding your comments received.
Alwyn Hogffman
The Crowne Plaza
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I've stayed here for over 20 years - the new makeover is welcome - if not rather camp ! Good breakfast and good rooms. Bar has a little smoking garden outside, where you can still get wifi, and the barmen are friendly if you make friends with a tip ! Had to go off to Zim for a couple of days and they messed up my return reservation, which was annoying, but they ended up upgrading me to a suite in the end which was OK. Some staff excellent - but generally the level of service could be improved. 5 minute walk to Rosebank mall & restaurants, and next to the police station which improves your outlook on security. Good Butchers Block restaurant in house - but check out the main one in Sandton Square for the real deal!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear ChubbysHiFi

Thank you for your repeat visits over the past 20 years to us at The Crowne Plaza. I am delighted that you liked our "Camp " interiors . I must apologize that we did not have your booking on arrival from Zimbabwe. The Butcher Block is the only one in Johannesburg and in Sandton it is a different brand . I do hope that we will be seeing you back at The Crowne Plaza soo.
Mauritius
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I really enjoyed the Crown Plaza hotel. The place is very convenient for me, nice restaurant. The gym is small but cosy and welcoming, convenient its open until late and early in the morning. Angela is very friendly and helpful !!!
The bar however is not very welcoming, closes early and barman not very friendly. i felt like i was disturbing them every time i was ordering a drink and they were doing me a favor serving me.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Hugues R
Dear ChubbysHiFi

Nairobi
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I must admit that some of the negative reviews on this hotel almost made me change my mind but I am so glad that I took the risk and stayed at Crowne Plaza. Good location, wonderful service, friendly staff, very good rooms... I could go on and on. My one week stay was totally worth it. Kudos and I shall definitely be coming back. I however do hope they can fix the elevators soon. Only one was in use and quite slow.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank HopeNairobi
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, October 14, 2014
Dear "sebaheinrich"
Thank you for the lovely review on the hotel. I must point out that our new summer menu will be brought out next week and there are some really interesting dishes .

I trust that we will be seeing you back at The Crowne Plaza Rosebank , in the new season

Lenasia, South Africa
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Decided to treat myself for my birthday so used some of my points for a couple of free nights... Checked in late evening. Reception was very friendly and had a good knowledge of the surrounding area. 5 minute walk from Rosebank Mall. The hotel lobby is quite modern and upmarket. The King suite rooms are nice with a lounge. The standard rooms and Twin rooms are fairly small for crown plaza standards. The Club Lounge needs to be refurnished so that more than two families or groups can be accommodated at a time. The room service was the worst I have ever experienced. Called Room service at around midnight and ordered 2 toasted cheese and a milkshake. They didn't know what a milkshake was, would check if they have any. Anyway, 40 mins later, we get 1 toasted cheese and some type of a yoghurt drink. The other sandwich came another 40 mins later. By this time I was just too tired to eat. Check out was speedy and friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
don j, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, September 25, 2016
Dear AzTee

Your feedback is much appreciated.
The hotel and it's staff will be ensuring that we turn the feedback into an improved guest experience.

Don Jesseman
Hotel Manager
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 3, 2014

the host was beyond expectation, the location was good for people travelling by Gautrain, the shops are around the corner if arriving prior to the meeting. the reception area is stunning we especially at night

Room Tip: try the vegetarian snacks