“very nice public areas, very bad service!”

Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
Newcastle, South Africa
“very nice public areas, very bad service!”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We went here for a two night stay , we had a bussiness function the one evening. The public areas was very funky and interesting. the service at breakfast was not. For such a beautiful hotel , the service was surprisingly poor? no interest and it was if there was a lack of training?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear "Heilavh",

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg! Although you indicate to have had a comfortable stay with us, we regret to hear the service in our breakfast room has let you down. We have already discussed your service experience with the management team and have implemented appropriate action already.

I can assure you that staff training & development is a key focus of the hotel, hence we will strive to rectify this issue soonest.

We do hope you will pay us another visit soon when back in Johannesburg.

Your sincerely,

Allan Clingham - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Rooms clean and well equipped, location is very good, safe to walk around. The mall almost next door, by the way, visit the African market at the Mall, very reasonable prices and lots of souvenirs, wait if you can for the Roof Market on Sundays, even more things to see and fun. Very good Fitness room. Great restaurant, try the beef and the $R300.00 local pinotage wine! Very high quality of breakfast (included in the room rate) too!!

Room Tip: It does not really make much difference, at least not that I know.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear "LeoMex",

Greetings from the team at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg!

We are thrilled to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us and soaked up the Rosebank atmosphere and energetic surroundings. The Rosebank market is indeed an ideal place to buy affordable but beautiful local arts and crafts.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind regards,

Allan Clingham - General manager
Port Louis, Mauritius
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I had previously stayed at this hotel a few times but that was years back. Nothing prepared me for the pleasant surprise of a completely re-done hotel! Its a modern hotel with very good facilities. I requested a shuttle which was waiting for me on arrival at airport. Now that I know the Gautrain station is a short walk from hotel, i will not need a shuttle service next time.It takes much shorter by train. Check in was fast and very welcoming. My room was available as booked and was clean and tastefully arranged. Internet is complimentary, fast and user-friendly. I loved the quality of the pillows!! Breakfast is great, with a wide selection. Staff is very friendly and helpful though in the bar on the ground floor there is need for improvement. I went in and sat down expecting them to approach for service but they just looked at me until i stood up and went to make an order. The gym is adequate. I took many of my meals in restaurants at the nearby mall, a short walking distance. I just wanted to be out of the hotel not because of any other negative reason.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear "Wilberforce2013",

Great to hear you enjoyed the new look and feel of the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg! And I fully agree with you on the Gautrain connection between Rosebank and the Airport. I can assure you, you will enjoy the efficient service offered on Gauteng's new public transport system.

Thank you for pointing out an area of improvement related to the speed of service at the lounge bar. I will discuss this with the relevant managers and take action accordingly.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time I stay at this hotel, this year. The hotel is good, well located, very close to the Rosebank mall (02 blocks). The food at the hotel's restaurants are good and breakfast is very nice. The staff is quite friendly, you may notice that they need some training. However, I have the impression they are there really trying to do their best. A few comments related to fail in towels and amenities replacements. But ok. The spa located by the swimming pool is very good and if you have the time, don't miss their massage. Is really worth it! Internet is free for guests in the first hour. You may consider buying one of their daily packages for this service. As I said, this was my second time here at this hotel. I would certainly return for the third time.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank liafl
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear "liafl",

Greetings from Rosebank!

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with your fellow trip advisor users. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the hospitality on offer at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg as well as its surroundings. And thank you for pointing out some areas of improvement when it comes to the replenishment of towels and bathroom amenities. I will discuss this with the housekeeping team.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Hi, stayed in Crown plaza rosebank for last week of October. Was fine but a couple of things could have been better. I was a business traveler on the same weekend that. Barcelona played Real Madrid, naturally for a football fan I wanted to watch it in the bar. Sadly there was a birthday party on at the same time which meant I was unable to concentrate fully on the match due to the noise. There was no residents bar available. This party also meant that the level of customer service displayed towards regular non party customers was very poor. Bizarre that you had to wait so long whilst sitting at the bar for a drink, to me it felt like sheer ignorance and happened more than once during my stay. (Too long to be served at the bar for drink) Rooms were nice, beds were comfortable mad housekeeping very good. At the gym there was a note up to report to business centre' which I did, and asked for a towel as there were none in the gym. It never arrived which was frustrating and poor again seeing as it was not a busy time. I stayed for 9 nights all together, I'm back again in a weeks time and will try the Hyatt which is nearby. I found the fact that you had to pay for parking also pretty disappointing considering the room rate wasn't exactly cheap. Overall I would stay again, perhaps, but the poor customer service at the bar and the gym did make me slightly disappointed overall.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear "Homersimpson33",

Thank you for your honest and detailed review! Our sincere apologies for not being able to accommodate you in the Circle Bar during the broadcast of your preferred Champions league game. The bar was indeed very busy due to a birthday party which lead to this unfortunate experience. I will discuss this with the team to see if we can find an alternative solution in case there will be a similar clash of calendars in future.

The service lapse experienced in our gym is unacceptable and having fresh towels available at all times is a minimum expectation we should meet at all times. I will ensure we address this issue accordingly.

We do hope you will visit us again in future and welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg!

Yours sincerely,

Washington
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I was there for the conference and stayed a full week. Location is great, close to the mall and plenty of restaurants if you get tired of hotel food. Speaking of which, food was great and I had room service every other day. Rooms are clean, bright, beds are comfy. Highly recommed for business stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear "KK_traveler2013",

The team and I are very pleased to hear we have been able to make your business visit to Johannesburg a comfortable one. Thank you for the detailed comments and recommendations. I will celebrate this with the team at the hotel.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was my worst business travel ever!!I move around due to the nature of my job.my stay at this hotel was horrible with open discrimination and poor customer service!! my room supplies were only replenished on the first day and I never saw any other supply again. had to reuse the same shower cap twice and when it was taken away it never got replaced!dont ask how my hair looked like :-(...shower gel and bathing soap were never replenished and I dreaded for the day my tissue rolls will run out!! :-( the towels that were replaced for my room from day two were old and torn and I have this in picture!!the ones that replaced this were also in the same condition!!!I the staff were impolite and didn't have a solution to any problem that you had including the ones caused by their laxity!! will never recommend this hotel

Room Tip: nothing good to write about..i don't know how you will choose a room that will be replenished wi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear "406Jackie",

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with further feedback on your stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg. I can assure you that your feedback is highly valued.

Please accept my and my team's sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced during the night of your event. Your detailed comments on the lack of replenishment of in room amenities is unacceptable and not of the standard you can expect. I have discussed your comments in detail with our Housekeeping team and evaluated this extensively.

We can fully understand your frustration and disappointment when experiencing service lapses and we sincerely regret that we have not been able to live up to our good name in making your function a splendid memorable event. I do believe the above compensation offered is significant in value and reiterates our commitment to resolving the matter.

However - I am unpleasantly surprised to read your comments around "open discrimination" and I feel this part of your review is very much out of place. The team and the Crowne Plaza is a true reflection of South African society and has got a diverse team of managers and operational team members. I can assure you that - not in any way - are they exposing our guests to discrimination of any kind or treat guests differently based on their race, gender or religion.

I can assure you, should you find the opportunity to return to South Africa and stay over at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg that every effort will be made to ensure you enjoy our very best care and attention.

Assuring you of my best intentions,

Yours sincerely