“Business stay”

Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Hi, stayed in Crown plaza rosebank for last week of October. Was fine but a couple of things could have been better. I was a business traveler on the same weekend that. Barcelona played Real Madrid, naturally for a football fan I wanted to watch it in the bar. Sadly there was a birthday party on at the same time which meant I was unable to concentrate fully on the match due to the noise. There was no residents bar available. This party also meant that the level of customer service displayed towards regular non party customers was very poor. Bizarre that you had to wait so long whilst sitting at the bar for a drink, to me it felt like sheer ignorance and happened more than once during my stay. (Too long to be served at the bar for drink) Rooms were nice, beds were comfortable mad housekeeping very good. At the gym there was a note up to report to business centre' which I did, and asked for a towel as there were none in the gym. It never arrived which was frustrating and poor again seeing as it was not a busy time. I stayed for 9 nights all together, I'm back again in a weeks time and will try the Hyatt which is nearby. I found the fact that you had to pay for parking also pretty disappointing considering the room rate wasn't exactly cheap. Overall I would stay again, perhaps, but the poor customer service at the bar and the gym did make me slightly disappointed overall.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear "Homersimpson33",

Thank you for your honest and detailed review! Our sincere apologies for not being able to accommodate you in the Circle Bar during the broadcast of your preferred Champions league game. The bar was indeed very busy due to a birthday party which lead to this unfortunate experience. I will discuss this with the team to see if we can find an alternative solution in case there will be a similar clash of calendars in future.

The service lapse experienced in our gym is unacceptable and having fresh towels available at all times is a minimum expectation we should meet at all times. I will ensure we address this issue accordingly.

We do hope you will visit us again in future and welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I was there for the conference and stayed a full week. Location is great, close to the mall and plenty of restaurants if you get tired of hotel food. Speaking of which, food was great and I had room service every other day. Rooms are clean, bright, beds are comfy. Highly recommed for business stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear "KK_traveler2013",

The team and I are very pleased to hear we have been able to make your business visit to Johannesburg a comfortable one. Thank you for the detailed comments and recommendations. I will celebrate this with the team at the hotel.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was my worst business travel ever!!I move around due to the nature of my job.my stay at this hotel was horrible with open discrimination and poor customer service!! my room supplies were only replenished on the first day and I never saw any other supply again. had to reuse the same shower cap twice and when it was taken away it never got replaced!dont ask how my hair looked like :-(...shower gel and bathing soap were never replenished and I dreaded for the day my tissue rolls will run out!! :-( the towels that were replaced for my room from day two were old and torn and I have this in picture!!the ones that replaced this were also in the same condition!!!I the staff were impolite and didn't have a solution to any problem that you had including the ones caused by their laxity!! will never recommend this hotel

Room Tip: nothing good to write about..i don't know how you will choose a room that will be replenished wi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear "406Jackie",

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with further feedback on your stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg. I can assure you that your feedback is highly valued.

Please accept my and my team's sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced during the night of your event. Your detailed comments on the lack of replenishment of in room amenities is unacceptable and not of the standard you can expect. I have discussed your comments in detail with our Housekeeping team and evaluated this extensively.

We can fully understand your frustration and disappointment when experiencing service lapses and we sincerely regret that we have not been able to live up to our good name in making your function a splendid memorable event. I do believe the above compensation offered is significant in value and reiterates our commitment to resolving the matter.

However - I am unpleasantly surprised to read your comments around "open discrimination" and I feel this part of your review is very much out of place. The team and the Crowne Plaza is a true reflection of South African society and has got a diverse team of managers and operational team members. I can assure you that - not in any way - are they exposing our guests to discrimination of any kind or treat guests differently based on their race, gender or religion.

I can assure you, should you find the opportunity to return to South Africa and stay over at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg that every effort will be made to ensure you enjoy our very best care and attention.

Assuring you of my best intentions,

Yours sincerely

Reviewed October 29, 2013

The Crowne Plaza in Johannesburg (Rosebank) is exactly what you expect from a Crowne Plaza. Rooms are a bit small by comparison to some Crowne Plazas but still comfortable and reasonably appointed. Actually, have you noticed that hotel rooms are always dark these days? One of the good points of this hotel is you can read a book in bed without a torch.
Another good point is the hotel has a good restaurant on the premises. The Butcher’s Block restaurant in the Crowne Plaza does good meat! If you want a large steak, cooked exactly as you ordered along with the standard assortment of veg, then look no further.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear "Paul B",

Thank you for the kind recommendations of our hotel on TripAdvisor. Glad to hear you enjoyed our hospitality and facilities at the hotel. Especially your kind comments on the Butcher Block will be shared with the team at the restaurant. I must admit our rooms are not the largest Crowne Plaza rooms you have every stayed in but are of a reasonable size for a inner city business hotel.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Good facilities, friendly staff.

The team added some nice touches to make our stay special.

Close to Rosebank Mall.

Downstairs bar provides the option to change lighting color of your private booth.

Bathrooms a tad small.

Stayed: October 2013

Dear "zhenn z",

Just a quick note to thank you for the great review! We appreciate the fact you have taken the time to share your recommendations with your fellow TripAdvisor readers.

Do make sure you come back to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had to go to South Africa for visa business and it was 2 adults and 2 children. The hotel was very accommodating with the rooms and sleeping arrangements as well as making sure we had sufficient space for my husband to continue to work and my children to not feel trapped in a small room. The staff are extremely friendly and very trustworthy, and lets face it in South Africa this is something to be happy about. One morning I was one the phone walking out the breakfast restaurant and left my bag on the seat. Before I realized and got back downstairs the staff had locked it away and were on the phone to our room. The rooms are clean and quiet. The night we arrived was the end of their fashion week and although the reception area and circle bar was a hive of activity we could rest easily in peace and quiet in our room two floor directly above. It is located across the road from a police station but again not noisy and we were able to have some documents certified without getting a car. a block away is Netcare hospital and although we didn't need them it was great to know it was right there. a few blocks away is the Rosebank mall and The Zone but is currently under construction for a remodel so a little dusty. The hotel has a pool but we didnt use this facility. We did avail of the business centre and although its pricey for use of their pc, everything else was done for a small fee. It is clean and quiet as well. The hotel has a spa that needs a few day pre booking especially in summer which I found hard when you don't know what you are doing each day.

My only two suggestions for this hotel would be to have a after hours spa facility for those coming back from a busy day shopping in Sandton or Rosebank :-) and the second would be to have at least one children's channel for kids to watch while parents are getting ready each day and before bed at night. We resolved the second issue with ipads and youtube player but that gets old fast.

Room Tip: if you are travelling with children and need 2 rooms phone the hotel directly to ensure interleading...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear "Milkmonkey",

Greetings from the Crowne Plaza team!

It was a pleasure hosting you and your family at our hotel. And we are extremely pleased to hear that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Your detailed comments of the service received by the various team members is much appreciated and will be shared and celebrated. Thank you for pointing out some areas of improvement as well, which will be discussed with the management team.

Lastly, its great to hear you enjoyed the Rosebank area so much as we are convinced that many travellers to Johannesburg start to discover this exciting but centrally located area within our beloved city.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

TL;DR:
Hotel location was good, having a rental car facility next door to the hotel is what brought me here. Hotel security for the most part was good, but there was one Paul Blart overachiever that made my family scared. Internet was painfully slow, rooms were ok but needed repair, breakfast was great, and the IHG lounge was great to refuel during the middle of the day. Would I stay here again? Maybe, it would be my second choice.

Unabridged:
I reserved two rooms for a family for four because the rule of having a maximum of two people per room. We took the Gautrain from the airport, which sounded like a good idea but it wasn’t economical because the fare for four people was over $50 USD. When we arrived at the Rosebank station, it was a 5 minute downhill walk over uneven pavement. My advice is to use your handle and lean your suitcase on two wheels instead of four. We arrived during the day time and there was ample security around with local cops.

The check in process was normal with very few hiccups, they were courteous and fairly attentive. The bellhop was very attentive and grabbed our luggage without asking, I’m the kind of person where I would rather do everything myself. We had two adjoining rooms, one with a regular shower and one with a handicap shower. I mentioned the two different bathrooms because the handicap bathroom did not make sense to me. It leaked… a lot. We had to build a makeshift dam from the used towels to make sure water didn’t leak into the room. Other than that, the room was just okay. I’m not picky nor am I entitled, I am afraid of additional room charges because of the culture there. With that said, parts of the room with high traffic and usage showed signs of heavy wear. The door stop was beyond repair, you can tell it has been shoddily put back into place with caulk. The sliding shower door fell off the track after my second use and we were missing a chair. I called housekeeping to make sure they were aware of it so I wouldn’t be charged later on.

Breakfast and the IHG club were a huge plus to our experience. Breakfast was a combination of a buffet with an omelet station. The IHG club served as a pleasant recharge station for my family if we came back during the middle of the day.

Since this was our first time visiting Johannesburg, we came back to the hotel by sunset and explored the Rosebank Mall at night. There were guards present at the gate at all hours of the night, even though the neighborhood seemed safe to me. The streets were not that well lit compared to cities in the United States (I’m from Boston), so that would deter some people from exploring at night.

There was one major incident that really stuck out with me and it was with one of the security guards. He literally followed within 30 – 50 feet behind my family and I as we walked from one part of the hotel to another, even from the gym. He did this for several days before I spoke up and asked him if there was a problem. I asked for his name and complained to the hotel, I only got back a generic response from the deputy general manager. Even at that time, it sounded crazy to report an employee following you.

The Internet was free if I recall correctly, but it was so painfully slow it wasn’t worth it. The queen size beds were actually two twin size beds put together. It’s hard to sleep with your spouse because both of us fell in between the divider. If you’re staying anywhere close to the club over the weekend, forget about sleeping. The music and bass were so loud it kept you up after 2 am, this is a factor if you have an early morning road trip in the early morning.

//Advice on renting in SA

After reading some people’s advice, you have to make sure to document and videotape everything! Before we checked out, I made sure to videotape the room to make sure there was no damage that wasn’t documented with the hotel. I’m glad I did this because I ran into trouble with Europcar, see below. Make sure to double and triple check the bill before leaving because there were charges tacked onto my bill, such as breakfast. I paid in cash every time when we ate breakfast but for some reason several breakfast charges made it onto my bill.

//This is for Europcar

It’s great to have rental car facility next to the hotel, but you also have to make sure you do your own due diligence. Every single nick, scratch, and dent you must report to the agent; even if you think it’s minor. Before I returned my car I ran it through the carwash because it was dusty and muddy. When you check out the car the agent checks out with you, however when you return the car, it’s with a different person other than the agent. The employee that checked in my car scrutinized everything. He opened the trunk, checked the spare tire and he told me “Your tire is flat, we have to charge you for this.” I didn’t even know I had a spare in the trunk, but I told him several times to bring out his tire gauge so we can measure the air pressure. He ignored me after several attempts demanding that he take out his tire gauge. I was visibly irritated when he blatantly refused to acknowledge me, but after when he conferred with the agent that helped me check out the car, he simply said to me “ok, you’re fine.” Really??? On top of that I asked for a printout of my receipt with Europcar and the bill was literally three times my original quote. I brought in my copy of the quote and the agent was shocked at the price difference. She asked for a copy and made sure I was charged the lower price.

In conclusion, my family and I travel to Asia every year. This time we went out of our comfort zone and traveled to South Africa this time. It was an experience and we will return again, but you just have to respect and go with their ways of doing business for obvious reasons.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear "mfong59",

Thank you for the detailed comments. Although you do indicate you had a overall pleasant stay with us, I do want to apologize for some of the inconveniences experienced.

I was surprised to hear your experience with one of our security guards. The Crowne Plaza Johannesburg takes safety and security very seriously and put in a lot of time and effort to ensure the necessary precautions are in place. The behaviour of this specific security guard is not of the normal standard and will most definitely be discussed with our security company in charge.

My apologies for the error in billing, reflecting a breakfast charge that had been paid for in cash. Unacceptable and this should not happen. I have already discussed this with the relevant managers who will reiterate this in training and departmental procedures.

Your comments on the service experienced by EuropCar will be conveyed to their management team.

Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us when visiting South Africa and we hope you return to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg soon.