“Good hotel close to Gautrain and Rosebank”

Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Good facilities, friendly staff.

The team added some nice touches to make our stay special.

Close to Rosebank Mall.

Downstairs bar provides the option to change lighting color of your private booth.

Bathrooms a tad small.

Stayed: October 2013
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear "zhenn z",

Just a quick note to thank you for the great review! We appreciate the fact you have taken the time to share your recommendations with your fellow TripAdvisor readers.

Do make sure you come back to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg soon!

Warm regards,

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had to go to South Africa for visa business and it was 2 adults and 2 children. The hotel was very accommodating with the rooms and sleeping arrangements as well as making sure we had sufficient space for my husband to continue to work and my children to not feel trapped in a small room. The staff are extremely friendly and very trustworthy, and lets face it in South Africa this is something to be happy about. One morning I was one the phone walking out the breakfast restaurant and left my bag on the seat. Before I realized and got back downstairs the staff had locked it away and were on the phone to our room. The rooms are clean and quiet. The night we arrived was the end of their fashion week and although the reception area and circle bar was a hive of activity we could rest easily in peace and quiet in our room two floor directly above. It is located across the road from a police station but again not noisy and we were able to have some documents certified without getting a car. a block away is Netcare hospital and although we didn't need them it was great to know it was right there. a few blocks away is the Rosebank mall and The Zone but is currently under construction for a remodel so a little dusty. The hotel has a pool but we didnt use this facility. We did avail of the business centre and although its pricey for use of their pc, everything else was done for a small fee. It is clean and quiet as well. The hotel has a spa that needs a few day pre booking especially in summer which I found hard when you don't know what you are doing each day.

My only two suggestions for this hotel would be to have a after hours spa facility for those coming back from a busy day shopping in Sandton or Rosebank :-) and the second would be to have at least one children's channel for kids to watch while parents are getting ready each day and before bed at night. We resolved the second issue with ipads and youtube player but that gets old fast.

Room Tip: if you are travelling with children and need 2 rooms phone the hotel directly to ensure interleading...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear "Milkmonkey",

Greetings from the Crowne Plaza team!

It was a pleasure hosting you and your family at our hotel. And we are extremely pleased to hear that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Your detailed comments of the service received by the various team members is much appreciated and will be shared and celebrated. Thank you for pointing out some areas of improvement as well, which will be discussed with the management team.

Lastly, its great to hear you enjoyed the Rosebank area so much as we are convinced that many travellers to Johannesburg start to discover this exciting but centrally located area within our beloved city.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

TL;DR:
Hotel location was good, having a rental car facility next door to the hotel is what brought me here. Hotel security for the most part was good, but there was one Paul Blart overachiever that made my family scared. Internet was painfully slow, rooms were ok but needed repair, breakfast was great, and the IHG lounge was great to refuel during the middle of the day. Would I stay here again? Maybe, it would be my second choice.

Unabridged:
I reserved two rooms for a family for four because the rule of having a maximum of two people per room. We took the Gautrain from the airport, which sounded like a good idea but it wasn’t economical because the fare for four people was over $50 USD. When we arrived at the Rosebank station, it was a 5 minute downhill walk over uneven pavement. My advice is to use your handle and lean your suitcase on two wheels instead of four. We arrived during the day time and there was ample security around with local cops.

The check in process was normal with very few hiccups, they were courteous and fairly attentive. The bellhop was very attentive and grabbed our luggage without asking, I’m the kind of person where I would rather do everything myself. We had two adjoining rooms, one with a regular shower and one with a handicap shower. I mentioned the two different bathrooms because the handicap bathroom did not make sense to me. It leaked… a lot. We had to build a makeshift dam from the used towels to make sure water didn’t leak into the room. Other than that, the room was just okay. I’m not picky nor am I entitled, I am afraid of additional room charges because of the culture there. With that said, parts of the room with high traffic and usage showed signs of heavy wear. The door stop was beyond repair, you can tell it has been shoddily put back into place with caulk. The sliding shower door fell off the track after my second use and we were missing a chair. I called housekeeping to make sure they were aware of it so I wouldn’t be charged later on.

Breakfast and the IHG club were a huge plus to our experience. Breakfast was a combination of a buffet with an omelet station. The IHG club served as a pleasant recharge station for my family if we came back during the middle of the day.

Since this was our first time visiting Johannesburg, we came back to the hotel by sunset and explored the Rosebank Mall at night. There were guards present at the gate at all hours of the night, even though the neighborhood seemed safe to me. The streets were not that well lit compared to cities in the United States (I’m from Boston), so that would deter some people from exploring at night.

There was one major incident that really stuck out with me and it was with one of the security guards. He literally followed within 30 – 50 feet behind my family and I as we walked from one part of the hotel to another, even from the gym. He did this for several days before I spoke up and asked him if there was a problem. I asked for his name and complained to the hotel, I only got back a generic response from the deputy general manager. Even at that time, it sounded crazy to report an employee following you.

The Internet was free if I recall correctly, but it was so painfully slow it wasn’t worth it. The queen size beds were actually two twin size beds put together. It’s hard to sleep with your spouse because both of us fell in between the divider. If you’re staying anywhere close to the club over the weekend, forget about sleeping. The music and bass were so loud it kept you up after 2 am, this is a factor if you have an early morning road trip in the early morning.

//Advice on renting in SA

After reading some people’s advice, you have to make sure to document and videotape everything! Before we checked out, I made sure to videotape the room to make sure there was no damage that wasn’t documented with the hotel. I’m glad I did this because I ran into trouble with Europcar, see below. Make sure to double and triple check the bill before leaving because there were charges tacked onto my bill, such as breakfast. I paid in cash every time when we ate breakfast but for some reason several breakfast charges made it onto my bill.

//This is for Europcar

It’s great to have rental car facility next to the hotel, but you also have to make sure you do your own due diligence. Every single nick, scratch, and dent you must report to the agent; even if you think it’s minor. Before I returned my car I ran it through the carwash because it was dusty and muddy. When you check out the car the agent checks out with you, however when you return the car, it’s with a different person other than the agent. The employee that checked in my car scrutinized everything. He opened the trunk, checked the spare tire and he told me “Your tire is flat, we have to charge you for this.” I didn’t even know I had a spare in the trunk, but I told him several times to bring out his tire gauge so we can measure the air pressure. He ignored me after several attempts demanding that he take out his tire gauge. I was visibly irritated when he blatantly refused to acknowledge me, but after when he conferred with the agent that helped me check out the car, he simply said to me “ok, you’re fine.” Really??? On top of that I asked for a printout of my receipt with Europcar and the bill was literally three times my original quote. I brought in my copy of the quote and the agent was shocked at the price difference. She asked for a copy and made sure I was charged the lower price.

In conclusion, my family and I travel to Asia every year. This time we went out of our comfort zone and traveled to South Africa this time. It was an experience and we will return again, but you just have to respect and go with their ways of doing business for obvious reasons.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear "mfong59",

Thank you for the detailed comments. Although you do indicate you had a overall pleasant stay with us, I do want to apologize for some of the inconveniences experienced.

I was surprised to hear your experience with one of our security guards. The Crowne Plaza Johannesburg takes safety and security very seriously and put in a lot of time and effort to ensure the necessary precautions are in place. The behaviour of this specific security guard is not of the normal standard and will most definitely be discussed with our security company in charge.

My apologies for the error in billing, reflecting a breakfast charge that had been paid for in cash. Unacceptable and this should not happen. I have already discussed this with the relevant managers who will reiterate this in training and departmental procedures.

Your comments on the service experienced by EuropCar will be conveyed to their management team.

Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us when visiting South Africa and we hope you return to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg soon.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

It has a nice ambiance. Housekeepers come 3 times till 9AM, I didnt get why they were so insisting. There is a club and restaurant which are quite good.The hotel is 5 min walk away from the mall. Overall it was OK.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear "basarco",

Great to hear you liked the design of our beloved Crowne Plaza Johannesburg. I fully agree with your comments on the easily accessible and attractive surroundings of Rosebank and the close proximity to the Rosebank Mall.

Do make sure you pay us another visit soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of previous occasions and while I am impressed with the front of house service and the general level of service, I remain disappointed by the fact that the only choices of in-hotel dining in the evening are room service or the out-sourced franchise restaurant. This might well suit carnivores, but it does not suit me, particularly when I travel on business and do not want to be confined to my room to dine. The menu choice for vegetarians and/or those who prefer not to eat huge quantities of meat, is sadly limited and although the waitron was accommodating, the quality of what I received was inferior to the lunch served by the hotel bistro the following day. An up market hotel like this does need to ensure a better range of choices for business travellers who, for various reasons, may be confined to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift lobby
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear "gingermelonmp",

Thank you for your posting your experiences on TripAdvisor and we appreciate the detailed comments on the food offering at the various outlets at our hotel. Of course, we find it very disappointing to hear that we have not met your expectations when it comes to our restaurant offering at the hotel, focused on vegetarian options in our dining venues.

We are not sure whether the various vegetarian options have been properly communicated / offered to you while visiting the different dining venues as - besides our room service menu - we offer our guests a variety of light meals, soups and salads and sandwiches, including several vegetarian options at Rosebank Cafe, in the lobby area of the hotel. Furthermore, our outsourced restaurant adjacent to the hotel called Butcher Block actually does feature a selection of vegetarian dishes on their menu as well as multiple sumptuous chicken and fish dishes for those guests who are not vegan. Again, I am not sure whether these options have been clearly explained to you by your waiter or host.

Irrespectively, I will forward your comments to the restaurant management for internal review. Thank you for assisting us in our ongoing drive for quality and enabling us to improve the hospitality offered to our guests. We do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again and welcoming you to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg again soon.

Alwyn Hoffman - Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Situated at good location near Rosebank Malls. Hotel staffs are friendly and also rooms service is very efficient. Had great stay:) Food is awesome at "Butcher Block" also buffet breakfast with lots of variety of dishes i.e. healthy and tasty both.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
don j, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2016

Dear Guest
Your feedback is much appreciated.
The hotel and it's staff will be ensuring that we turn the feedback into an improved guest experience.

Kind regards
Don Jesseman
Hotel Manager

Reviewed October 10, 2013

The worst hotel stay in my 10+ year of traveling. Stayed for a few weeks. I would have changed the hotel if I had a choice.

Generally, the staff don't do their job well. Front desk staff including managers don't seem to be well trained with exception of the housekeeping manager. Many issues (from minor to major - you name it) occurred throughout the stay, but the GM didn't seem to care that much. One example, my rate included breakfast buffet, but this was never told at check-in. Even when I asked at the restaurant, I got an incorrect answer. The GM said this should have been told me by a travel agent who booked my hotel. Really? Isn't this one of the hotel staff's responsibilities?

With my extensive travel experience, I don't complain just to complain. Also, I understand everyone makes mistakes. It really matters how they are rectified. After my letter to the GM, I saw some, yet inconsistent, improvement, but not by much. And I continued to have issues until the day of check-out (simple example, I was promised to receive my folio via email after my check-in because they messed up and it would take an hour to fix - never seen the folio). This hotel has a long way to go for it to be called a full service hotel.

Also, there were some major design flaws that I found very annoying. To me, the design concept of the hotel is more like trying to be hip and cool, but not functional.
1. Bathroom faucets were so strong that water gets splashed all over. Very inconvenient!
2. In a regular room, the bathroom door opens outward, not inward, so often conflicts with a room door (they're located next to each other).
3. In a suite, the bathroom and bedroom are open. There's no door for the shower, so the bedroom gets humid after each shower. Closet space was very limited given that it was a suite.

On the other hand, the Butcher Block was a good on-site restaurant. Also, the wait staff at breakfast were quite friendly and nice. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. I would stay either at Hyatt or Holiday Inn if you need to stay in Rosebank.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear "wildcatm",

Thank you for posting the review on your stay with us at the beginning of this year. As you know, we have had extensive communication in the months following to address all your concerns raised and rectify the service lapses experienced. This resulted in us provided you with full compensation as requested by your kind self. We felt at that stage, we had done everything possible to restore your confidence in our hotel to the best of our ability, but at least show our genuine and best intentions to settle the matter in the best possible way.

Thank you for assisting us in our ongoing drive for quality and enabling us to improve the hospitality offered to our guests. Your interest and concern are much appreciated.

I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again.

Allan Clingham - General manager & the Crowne Plaza team