“Good Service and beautiful Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Situated at good location near Rosebank Malls. Hotel staffs are friendly and also rooms service is very efficient. Had great stay:) Food is awesome at "Butcher Block" also buffet breakfast with lots of variety of dishes i.e. healthy and tasty both.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
don j, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2016

Dear Guest
Your feedback is much appreciated.
The hotel and it's staff will be ensuring that we turn the feedback into an improved guest experience.

Kind regards
Don Jesseman
Hotel Manager

Reviewed October 10, 2013

The worst hotel stay in my 10+ year of traveling. Stayed for a few weeks. I would have changed the hotel if I had a choice.

Generally, the staff don't do their job well. Front desk staff including managers don't seem to be well trained with exception of the housekeeping manager. Many issues (from minor to major - you name it) occurred throughout the stay, but the GM didn't seem to care that much. One example, my rate included breakfast buffet, but this was never told at check-in. Even when I asked at the restaurant, I got an incorrect answer. The GM said this should have been told me by a travel agent who booked my hotel. Really? Isn't this one of the hotel staff's responsibilities?

With my extensive travel experience, I don't complain just to complain. Also, I understand everyone makes mistakes. It really matters how they are rectified. After my letter to the GM, I saw some, yet inconsistent, improvement, but not by much. And I continued to have issues until the day of check-out (simple example, I was promised to receive my folio via email after my check-in because they messed up and it would take an hour to fix - never seen the folio). This hotel has a long way to go for it to be called a full service hotel.

Also, there were some major design flaws that I found very annoying. To me, the design concept of the hotel is more like trying to be hip and cool, but not functional.
1. Bathroom faucets were so strong that water gets splashed all over. Very inconvenient!
2. In a regular room, the bathroom door opens outward, not inward, so often conflicts with a room door (they're located next to each other).
3. In a suite, the bathroom and bedroom are open. There's no door for the shower, so the bedroom gets humid after each shower. Closet space was very limited given that it was a suite.

On the other hand, the Butcher Block was a good on-site restaurant. Also, the wait staff at breakfast were quite friendly and nice. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. I would stay either at Hyatt or Holiday Inn if you need to stay in Rosebank.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear "wildcatm",

Thank you for posting the review on your stay with us at the beginning of this year. As you know, we have had extensive communication in the months following to address all your concerns raised and rectify the service lapses experienced. This resulted in us provided you with full compensation as requested by your kind self. We felt at that stage, we had done everything possible to restore your confidence in our hotel to the best of our ability, but at least show our genuine and best intentions to settle the matter in the best possible way.

Thank you for assisting us in our ongoing drive for quality and enabling us to improve the hospitality offered to our guests. Your interest and concern are much appreciated.

I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again.

Yours sincerely,

Allan Clingham - General manager & the Crowne Plaza team

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Good location very convenient to the Zone and Rosebank shops. Hotel staff are both friendly and efficient and rooms are adequate and clean. Choice of TV somewhat limited unless into sports. The 'Butchers Block' located in the hotel is a great choice for a decent steak.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear "JohnJaneD",

Thank you so much for the great recommendations! Glad to know you enjoyed the central location of our hotel in the vibrant Rosebank area. Furthermore, I will discuss your comment on our TV channel selection with the management team. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Do make sure you pay us another visit soon!

Warm regards from the Crowne Plaza team,

l

Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I chose this hotel primarily for it's convenient location. It is just a few steps away from the Gautrain station (making access to Sandton or the airport very easy), the Rosebank shopping mall and there is a Europcar right on the property. Our room on the sixth floor was adequately spacious and comfortable - although the bathroom had a shower only and no bathtub. Stay on the Club Floor for access to the Club Lounge serving free coffee and soft drinks all day, a light continental breakfast in the morning and some canapes and wine in the evening. The Butcher Block restaurant on the ground floor is average at best, and I would strongly advise heading to the nearby Rosebank shopping center to The Grillhouse if you're craving a steak. The spa facilities are a nice indulgence if you have time - we enjoyed a couples massage. Tip: Become a member of their IHG Loyalty programme for free internet access.

Room Tip: Stay on the Club Floor for access to the Club Lounge.

Dear Mary_Kassam

Thank You for the beautiful tripadvisor review. I am delighted that you stayed with us and found it convenient to all the public facilities as well as to Europcar Rental which is situated at the hotel.

The Crowne Plaza does offer some rooms with a bathtub on request for guest who prefer a bath against a shower , which most of our guests requests. Yes , being a member of the IHG Club does have its benefits as pointed out. I am indeed disappointed that the Butcher Block did not meet up to your expectation and hope that you will give it a try again when next you staying here.

I am glad that you departed from us feeling refreshed after your treatment at the spa.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to The Crowne Plaza Soon.

Best regards
Alwyn Hoffman
Head Concierge
The Crowne Plaza

Reviewed October 2, 2013

What a wonderful Hotel. The design if different to say the least. The toilets are a bit unusual to say yet least. The staff are very friendly and very efficient. The rooms are very clean and well appointed. The furniture design is very modern. The wireless service needs to be improved, especially for the Business person. Breakfast is plentiful with a varied selection on offer, meeting most needs.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear "William C",

LOVELY REVIEW!

We appreciate your recommendations on TripAdvisor and we like to thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Glad to hear you enjoyed our modern hotel design and great facilities on offer. Do make sure you come back to us soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed in the Crowne Plaza in late September for 2 nights and enjoyed my stay. The staff are excellent, very curtious and friendly. Rooms are spacious and well designed and very clean. Breakfast is great with lots of options and good coffee. The gym is also ideally sized for a workout with a good range of machines and weights. My one gripe is the wireless internet, this is flakey so if you are there on business be prepared, take a 3G card with you.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear "Dai D",

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank!

Your kind recommendations are much appreciated and will be celebrated with the team at the hotel. We have noted your comment on the Wifi connectivity issues you had experienced but we have already been able to address this matter. So, you should have a far better internet experience next time around upon your return to Johannesburg.

Warm regards from the Crowne Plaza team!

Crowne Plaza Johannesburg

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have stayed at the Crown Plaza Rosebank before. I chose this hotel because I had a great experience when I stayed here for a week last year; it was under per diem; they have a Great staff, rooms and restaurant
I arrived in SA after a 15 hour flight from Atlanta, GA. I Took the Gautrain from the airport (highly recommended) to the Crowne Plaza Rosebank. Arriving I felt a calmness come over me as I was pleasantly greeted and I knew what to expect. My check in was short and pleasant. My room was in the north tower...very nice. I highly recommend this hotel when in Johannesburg, South Africa!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear "LMMUTTER",

Greetings from Rosebank, Johannesburg!

We are thrilled to read your kind comments on TripAdvisor. Your recommendations of our hotel are much appreciated and will certainly be shared with the entire Crowne Plaza team.

We cant wait to welcoming you back upon your return to South Africa.

Warm regards,