“A good hotel on the whole”

Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Johannesburg
Australia
“A good hotel on the whole”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed here for three nights for work reasons. I liked the hotel and had a good room, although I had a suite (not terribly expensive) and I suspect the ordinary rooms would have been rather small. The bed was comfortable. Most of the staff were really nice and friendly, with the notable exception of the reception staff who seemed quite surly and under-trained. An example of this (but by no means the only example) was that although I had emailed and had a conversation to say I would not be arriving till the early morning after the date I had booked in, I was kept waiting at reception for ages on check-in, without any explanation about why, until I realised they were probably searching for me on the following day's check-in list. This was despite the fact that I had specifically asked for a note to be added to my booking to make sure there were no hold-ups.
The wi-fi service (with a provider called 'Always On', which is a bit of a joke) was unreliable - it was down for a whole day throughout the hotel when I was there (fortunately I was out that day); and also failed in my room on another occasion.
A slightly annoying thing was that much was made of a free aromatherapy kit in the rooms. I don't care either way about that, but if you make a big deal of it, it should be there! I did like the card in the room providing tips on jetlag, which made me feel as though my situation was acknowledged!
The room service meals were quite nice but nothing special.
I'd probably stay here again as it was in a nice neighbourhood with an easy walk to the Rosebank Mall.

Room Tip: If you can afford it I recommend a suite.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Ert53,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your review and for your constructive criticism.

I was disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations and would like to offer my sincere apologies for the areas that we have let you down. All the points that you have mentioned will be raised with the management team and where possible rectified.

We do hope that the service lapse experienced will not deter you from visiting us again in future.

Kathleen Hedges – Guest Relations manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Had a warm welcome by the lady at the reception and was able to do a early checkin. One of the few occasions during checkin that the person at the reception gave me all the hotel information including breakfast timings, restaurants, bar and gym etc without being asked for. The room was comfortable though the bathrooms were a bit small. They should have a shower partition or else a shower curtain as the half partition wets the bathroom. The wifi was a bit slow but I find that the case in the other hotels in Johannesburg as well. The staff at the concierge desk and the bell boys are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast spread is great and the highlight was the waffle dough dispenser and the waffle making machine for self use. This is the first time I have seen something like this in a breakfast buffet.

The Rosebank mall is at a walking distance. The surroundings look safe and I would recommend this hotel for business visits. The check out was very smooth as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
This is the kind of review that we love! Thank you for giving us such amazing feedback after your recent stay at Crowne Plaza, Johannesburg – The Rosebank.

I am pleased to hear that you had a memorable stay with us. Our location in the trendy Rosebank Precinct has easy and safe access to a variety of retail shops, gourmet restaurants & leisure amenities. We do hope that you will have the chance to experience this unique city again during your next visit.

We pride ourselves in delivering the best GUEST service and to get the basics right consistently and judging by your experience with us, we have surpassed your expectations.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to hosting you again.

Kathleen Hedges – Guest relations Manager
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'm a weekly regular at his hotel and this has to be the worst Crown Plaza I've ever stayed in. The rooms are poorly maintained the service is average and they boast a Business (fast) wifi that is extremely slow or just doesn't work. If you would like to watch TV you need to be a sports lover as they have 7 dedicated sports channels and if your unlucky to be here on a weekend make that 9 and little else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Stuart _B0000,

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy day to share your feedback with the Tripadvisor community. We very much value your opinion being one of our regular guests and it is very important to us that we live up to your expectations.

I have contacted you directly via TripAdvisor to obtain some more details around your concerns raised. Please be assured that we will look into the issues mentioned around Internet speed and the TV channel offering. We sincerely apologize for the poor Housekeeping service you have received during your stay which is clearly below standard. Our Executive Housekeeper is looking into this with her team.
Despite your recent negative experience, we do sincerely hope to welcome you back soon, and that your next stay will be a comfortable and memorable one.

Kathleen Hedges – Guest Relations Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just stayed 5 weeks in the Crowne Plaza - Rosebank. This was my fifth visit to Johannesburg and fifth stay at the hotel and I can't imagine staying at another hotel. My wife was with me for two weeks and share my opinion. All requests were quickly realized. Extra chairs, extra bathrobes ,etc
Highlights. Accomodation. We had a large clean cormfortable sunny room on the 7th floor, large bath with shower. Staff - Just excellent . Efficient and Friendly throughout the hotel - at Reception, at Breakfast , everywhere. Travel Desk- Took care of all Travel needs. To work, to and from the airport, trips at weekends to the Safari Parks,shopping malls ,etc. Location. Minutes walk away from the lively Rosebank Mall, Restaurants, Craft market, Cinema.and Gautrain station.Butchers Block on site Restaurant- Excellent Food and Service,certainly as good as the other top restaurants in Johannesburg - Internet Access. Free 2 day renewable voucher for Priority Club members. 1 hour free for others. Gym and Spa facilities - Very Good.

1 Thank Errol H
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Errol H,

Thank you very much for reviewing Crowne Plaza – The Rosebank on Trip Advisor, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for acknowledging that our staff made the difference on your visit, we have a fantastic team and cherish their contribution to the hotel and to our guests.

We are thrilled to have you as one of our regular guests. We hope to welcome you back soon on your next visit to South Africa.

Kathleen Hedges – Guest Relations Manager
Pietermaritzburg
Reviewed April 22, 2013

i recently spent a week at the Crowne Plaza Rosebank hotel. i really enjoyed my stay, the staff were friendly and very helpful, the accommodation was well maintained and check-in/check-out was a breeze. The breakfast at the Fresh was fantastic and catered for everyone's needs.

i would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for accomodation in the Rosebank area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear "Maithree B",

Excellent feedback - especially coming from a guest who has stayed with us for a consecutive week.

I can assure you that everyone at the hotel enjoyed having you as one of our valued guests and we are all very much looking forward to welcoming you back soon, so we can create a home away from home for you when travelling to Johannesburg.

Kind regards to everyone in Pietermaritzburg!

south-africa
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night recently. Our King Suite was very nice and big. Bed was very comfy and the shower is big. Breakfast was great and room service was quick. Will definitely stay here again if I am in Johannesburg...

Room Tip: King Suite was very good...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "robmich",

Great to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your comfortable "King Suite" when recently staying with us.

And thank you for the kind recommendations of the breakfast served at our Fresh Restaurant as well as the quality of service received by our Room Service team. We will most definitely share your feedback with the team members involved.

We are looking forward to welcoming you both back upon your next visit to Johannesburg!

Warm regards,

Mar del Plata, Argentina
Reviewed April 19, 2013

A very nice hotel, modern, with excellent location. By reserving in advance they have a very convenient rate. The room is nice, the bathroom and shower big and the bed comfortable. I could not try breakfast because I had an early flight. They can book transport to and from the airport. The Gautrain station is also convenient within walking distance, some 300 m. Also nearby, are nice coffee shops and lots of stores. The area feels safe. My only complain is that none of the two standing lamps was working, so the room felt rather gloom at night.

Room Tip: Check to see if there is an event that uses the lobby, if so try to get a room on the upper floors b...
Dear "Marcela_MDP",

Thank you for the kind recommendations! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg as well as the lovely Rosebank area!

Our apologies for the malfunctioning of the light in the standing lamp. We have an extensive room check program that would normally pick up these minor guest room issues before arrival and will investigate how this has slipped through the cracks.

Do make sure you pay us another visit soon!

Warm regards,