“Nice hotel in safe area of Johannesburg”

Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at Crowne Plaza - The Rosebank two times in January. The rooms where very clean, the Staff friendly and very approachable, and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel offers free Wifi (for 1 hour per day) and the option to extend it as you need. The is a bar in the hotel whice was nice but i thought a little pricey. The Butcher Block restaurant attached to the hotel offers a good selection of dishes, expertly presented. If you do decide to venture out, The Rosebank Mall offers a wide range of restaurants to choose from As for security concerns, dont worry. Rosebank has its own security force walking the streets around the Mall and near to the Hotel. At no time did I feel threatened or unsafe at any time. The security guards are very approachable and always happy to help. If you travel from O.R. Tambo airport to The Rosebank, I recommend you use The Gautrain system. It is very safe and the ticket costs R115. The only bugbear is you have to change trains at Sandton, but this is all well signposted. Walking from Rosebank Gautrain station to the Rosebank hotel is easy and safe. You exit the station by the northern exit, turn back on your self so Nandos is on your left side, walk 20 meters and then turn in to the Rosebank Mall. Walk thru the mall and continue in a straight line to the Rosebank hotel entrance. Walking time is about 5 - 7 mins.

Room Tip: I was in the South tower in Room 410 (4th floor double room) and on my second visit, Room 329 (on th...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank PaulA126
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear PaulA126,

We at the Crowne Plaza Hotel are delighted to receive your commendations on your experience at our hotel and to hear that our team has lived up to the promise by providing you with genuine and true hospitality.

Thank you for sharing your great tips and observations with the Tripadvisor community. Your feedback is of utmost importance and it will truly assist future Johannesburg travellers in choosing a hotel that can accommodate their needs.

Once again thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed my 4 night stay here. The service was great and the rooms are very comfortable.
The key pad on my door broke and was not able to "read" my key card. It was annoying as I had to keep traipsing back down to reception to get them to let me in. However, they did fix it quickly.

• Stayed: September 2012
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Steve_Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable thoughts with us.

We really appreciate your constructive feedback and all the great compliments. We are thrilled that our team was able to provide you with seamless service during your stay at our hotel.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

The rooms are small but adequate. The free wi-fi is great and the hotel is fine for a short business stay. Great breakfast. But the best thing is the staff - well trained, friendly and genuine.
The bathrooms are tiny with shower-in-the-bath which I dont like. You always end up with water all over the floor.

Dear UKvisitor1234,

Thank you for your constructive and positive comments especially your observations on our facilities.

I have addressed your concern regarding the shower that sprays on to the floor to our maintenance team. They will look into it and try to find a solution in order to prevent water from scattering all over the floor.

Your commendations of our team in particular are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated them for doing such an outstanding job!

We hope that we can welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Another excellent stay. The Crowne Plaza continues to offer a great product at a good price. The service at the hotel is top class and the team always look to accommodate requests. Plus everything is done with a smile. I will be visiting again. The market at the nearby Rosebank Mall - 5 minute safe walk - is also well worth a visit.

Dear realtrueopinion,

Wonderful to hear from you again!

Thank you for the great compliments and for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community. I am delighted to hear that our team has lived up to the promise by providing you with genuine and true hospitality.

I look forward to welcome you back soon.

Allan Clingham- General manager

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Just your typical Crown Plaza hotel.
Very funky & modern lobby and rooms were very clean. It is within walking distance (2 blocks) of a few decent restaurants, a shopping centre, the Gau train & the African rooftop markets
The staff were not friendly, not one person that we interacted with smiled! The concierge was not very helpful, nor was she informative.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear alipaige11,

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy day to provide us with your constructive feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the bad service you received from our team and for the limited assistance from our concierge team. This is certainly not reflective of the levels of service standards we strive to offer to every single guest of our hotel. Please know that I will take this up with my management team and make sure that they look into this is concern.
We do appreciate you assisting us in our ongoing drive for quality and enabling us to improve the hospitality offered to our guests.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon and that your next day with us will be a better one.

Yours sincerely,
Allan Clingham – General Manager

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was back at the Rose Bank for another week’s stay during a works conference. All my previous comments about the funky, tactile décor and the good service remain as before – see the review from last year for details. In short, it’s a very good business (or city-break I guess) hotel, in a nice area of Johannesburg.

And don't be scared to stroke things...

Room Tip: Avoid 1st floor rooms on the North Tower - they look over the lobby roof and just don't get a vi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Keith R,

It is good to hear from you again!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy day to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community. I hope we can have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 23, 2012

The hotel is great, classy and very modern and funky in terms of its appearance. The facilities are also good in the spa and the gym. After staying here for approx. 10 years now the staff do know me which makes for better service however as in the hotel industry they change ever so often so I often encounter new faces. The reception staff are great especially the ones I know and they take special care to assist. The rooms are awesome, spacious and very comfortable. The only gripes I have is the lack of a lounge for priority members which needs some serious work done and even the temporary lounge is unsuitable for a hotel of this class. The second gripe is the the restaurant which is not part of hotel but it is the main restaurant servicing the hotel; the food is really not up to standard and I have often had problems with room service which is a never ending story even after numerous calls to the manager of the restaurant. Other then that it is a great hotel and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The rooms are great and I believe al of similar quality so no problem wherever you end up.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear Lee L

We would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a great review on TripAdvisor!

We really appreciate your positive comments regarding the hotel's facilities and the staff service. We are pleased to share your recommendations which will motivate the team even more to continue to delight our guests!

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay with regards to the service received at our a la carte restaurant. We will take these issues up with the management of the Butcher Block restaurant and address it accordingly to ensure that this is not a repeating occurrence. Thank you very much for sharing your valuable thoughts with us, especially coming from a regular guests such as yourself.

May we take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you back again with open arms to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank!

Kathleen Hedges - Guest Relations Manager