“Best Cocktail Bar in Johannesburg - Circle Bar”

Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I'm still a little dumb struck as to how much fun I had at Circle Bar. The bar is well worth a visit even if you are not staying at the hotel.

Upmarket. Beautiful people. Good wine list. Awesome cocktails.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Hi brettsco,

Great to hear you have been able to have some good old fun at our funky, thrilling and exciting Circle Bar. I fully agree with your comments on the cocktails served as they are simply delicious!

We hope to welcoming you back soon, as a Circle Bar visitor or as an esteemed hotel guest but even better - both...

At your service,

Kathleen Hedges - Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed June 12, 2012

excellent service and great location for other j'berg experiences.
rooms well equiped, good size and well decorated.
bathrooms very well designed.
secure car parking.
excellent reception service.

Room Tip: higher floors with view in north tower preferred
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Hi anthony n,

Great to hear your “Crowne Plaza” experience made your “Johannesburg” experience into a successful and enjoyable one! We are all looking forward hosting you again on your next trip to South Africa.

Greetings to the TripAdvisor community in London!

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Stayed on two separate occasions in the same week. The hotel is the old Rosebank Hotel which was in desperate need of a facelift and I have to say it is not recognisable, in fact the new Crowne Plaza is interesting, beautifully fitted and a real charm to stay at.

In other reviews you have read about the rooms, and the decor but for me the thing that stands out, and really stands out is the staff. Every interaction with every person was a treat. Staff were not only friendly but interested and efficient.

The rooms are comfortable although the bathroom is bordering on a little small. Liked the touches of the coffee, tea, hot chocolate, biscuits and two little chocolates.

Like!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Owner at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2012

Hi Jasonleg,

What would a vibrant and trendy hotel such as Crowne Plaza Johannesburg be without its team members! Thank you for acknowledging this and I can assure you your comments are much appreciated by everyone at the hotel. As per the Crowne Plaza motto, our aim is to provide “Great Hotels Guest Love…”. Glad to hear we have been successful in providing this to you!

See you back soon upon your next visit to Rosebank, Johannesburg!

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I have read some of the reviews on here and I cannot see how people can complain---AND BELIEVE ME I AM PICKY!!!! The hotel offers a great location, upscale, modern decor, exquisite rooms (although a bit small), great customer service and high quality healthy food. It is usually hard to get any healthy food at hotels in Africa in general...this is an exception. Continental breakfast is also surprisingly excessive. I also really appreciated the aromatherapy offered to help sleep--a nice luxury upgrade. Spa and outdoor area are fabulous .......love the waterfalls and natural stone decor with waterfalls....I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling for business or pleasure.....

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Americanincognito
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Great to hear we have been able to pleasantly surprise you during your stay with us! We are thrilled to hear we have been able to exceed the high expectations of a "picky" traveller, :)

The entire team at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg is looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kathleen Hedges - Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Spent 3 nights at hotel a couple of weeks ago, nice, rated about 3 1/2, then two nights just recently. Last night woken up about 1.30 am by someone just walking into the room and turning the light on, thought he said a 'manager', wondering why I was in the room and who was I? After a few minutes what we discussed (it was after being woken) was obviously enough and he, and she, closed the door, leaving the light on! OK back to sleep, 5.20am, phone rings, "this is your early morning call" - great, thanks, if I'd ordered one, back to sleep. Phone rings at 6.20 am, it's the same manager, I think, going through the bookings again, and again! Remember it's my fault that their system did to pick up our changes when we checked in. On the plus side they did give our team, four of us, a late checkout.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jim M
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

Dear Jim M,
Thank you very much for your honest feedback – we sincerely appreciate it. Please allow me to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience experienced during your last night stay with us. I have shared your feedback with senior management as well as the night shift team to ensure that this is not a recurring problem. A thorough procedural review has already taken place.

The entire team really hopes that this incident will not prevent you from returning to the Crowne Plaza, Johannesburg - The Rosebank very soon as we can assure you that your next stay with us will be a brilliant one.
Kind regards,
Allan Clingham - General Manager

Reviewed May 19, 2012

This hotel is on the ouitskirts of Rosebvank Mall and The Zone but well within walking distance. However it is not necessarily walking distance from the Gautrain station speciallt if you have bags.

I stayed here for 2 separate nights over a week. The hotel is a biy quirky specially with respect to its decor. The lobby has decor that can best be described as from the 70s with animal prints, a bar with rotunda tables encircled in a curtain of beads (called what else but a CItcle Bar)m floor lobbies that have funky bright red decor and paint, and the rooms themselves that are cramped, tiny and dark. The rooms have a tacky pink toned mini chandelier on a mirror wall that separates the bathroom from the bedroom. And here is the icing on the cake! There is a 2 way mirror wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. Yes,that is right! If you have a room mate, you will not be able to conduct your private business in private, since there is no way to 'shut' the mirror. See through glass walls are becoming common in hotels, but in every hotel I have found them there is an electronically controlled blind that can keep private things private. Not so here. Overall, the impression here is that of Hugh Hefner's Playboy mansion.

The first time I checked in, I was upgraded to a Deluxe room (as a Platinum member) that came with breakfast and wifi. This was a pleasant surprise since the INtercontinental Group does not believe in offering its most loyal guests any perk or benfit other than late checkout That roomwhile not spacious was fine. The second time, I was uopgraded to a Business Deluxe Room which I was informed is the same as a Deluxe Room. Well, it is definitely not! This one was tiny, and we could barely open our 2 suitcases together. The bathroom was one of the smallest. In my stays at various Intercontinental Group properties around the world, it is truly amazing how they manage to slice and dice the same exact room category into multiple categories. Of course none of these categories are ever mentioned or listed on their web site. The true and only purpose of this policy is to give the 'stupid and gullible' guest the impression that he is getting an upgrade. The intercontinental HOtel Group with its Priority Club program is the leader among ll major hotel groups in deceptive loyalty programs that are worth nothing.

This hotel also has something called a 'Platinum Club Lounge' which is really just an extension of their breakfast restaurant. There is no access control on who can get in. The breakfast here is the same as in the main restaurant with the difference that there is no one there to serve you tea and coffee or in fact anything!

There is a big security issue in the hotel that I do not think management is aware of. The side entrance by the side of the Butchers Block restaurant that provides a short cut to the Mall and the Zone is not locked or manned. Any one can get in or out off the street straight into the lobby without anyone noticing. A major concern that needs to be addressed.

I paid 25000 priority club points for each nite, and that price it was acceptable value. For anything more than $100, I would not deem it to be good value.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Hi pradipd25,

Thank you very much for sharing your honest feedback with your fellow TripAdvisor members. We truly appreciate it as it allows us to improve our service standards and constantly aim higher.

Please know that we take our guests’ safety and security very seriously and have security guards stationed at all the hotel entrances at all times. I can assure you that we will carefully investigate as to why there was no security guard present near the outside entrance at Butcher Block restaurant at the time of your observation. Your feedback on your experience at the Priority club lounge is of great importance to us and we will look into improving the member services on offer at the hotel.

We do hope that we can welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg – The Rosebank very soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 13, 2012

I know it seems strange and it's not a fetish I normally suffer from, but whenever I'm at The Rosebank I just want to stroke all the finishes and furnishings. It's a textural delight!

The very modern, funky design won't suit everyone but I just love the unusual combinations of fabrics and finishes in the lobby. Scarlet velvet oversized couches vie with wooly rugs and zebra-patterned pouffes for your attention, and even the wallpaper in the corridors leading to the rooms deserves a subtle stroke as you walk along (no-one will notice!).

The rooms are also modern, well appointed and generally spacious - I've stayed in both Standard and Deluxe rooms and enjoyed them all.

Service in the coffee-shop can be bearly acceptable - how long should it take to get a coffee?? - and the Club Lounge has been converted to an airline crew-lounge though the sign hadn't been changed when I was there last. That created a bit of confusion and embarrassment, and when I was guided to the "new" Club Lounge - a raised part of the coffee-shop - the service was so slow that the "happy hour" free wine translated into one glass if you headed off to search for someone to serve it to you! But my comments on this were immediately taken on board and a free bottle of wine appeared in my room the next day - can't complain at that...

I'm vegetarian but have eaten at the Butcher's Block restuarant with a colleague and enjoyed the meal. The Circle Bar is also a nice (if expensive by local standards) place to chill.

But what I like most is that every aspect of this hotel has been thought about and designed - nothing has been left to be just average. Whether you like what the designer has done or not, you've got to appreciate the effort put in.

The gym and small pool are both nice, but the hotel is also positioned very close to some lovely areas for running. I know Jo'burg is "unsafe" but when out for a 7am run up towards the zoo and you see groups of local ladies out running (and lots of armed response security pick-ups driving around) you've got to assume it's safe...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Keith R
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Hi there Keith R,

Amazing feedback! And to be frank, I truly adore the funky décor in the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg myself as well. Great to hear you agree with me…
Our apologies for the confusion caused due to the signage at the Club lounge. This will be rectified soonest. And thank you for your honest comments on the service received in the lobby lounge and PC Lounge. Your comments have been passed on to the relevant team members. Once again, thank you again for the delightful feedback.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,