“Nice, clean hotel. Best steak of my life at the hotel restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Ranked #12 of 70 Hotels in Johannesburg
Brisbane, Australia
“Nice, clean hotel. Best steak of my life at the hotel restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Nice, safe & clean hotel. We had a suite which was very spacious. 300 metre walk to Rosebank Mall and Craft Markets. Everything you need is there. Safe to walk during the day and plenty of security around. Went on a day tour to pilanesburg national park and the lion park which was organized through the hotel's travel desk. Very pleased with the tour - transport, guide etc. Had dinner one night in the Butchers Block restaurant. My partner and I both agreed, best steak we've ever had, anywhere in the world.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Guest_Relations_2009, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Thank you so much for you kind reply. I am glad that we could provide the quality service that you truly deserve.

I would like to welcome you back soon.

Take care,

Kathleen Hedges – Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

Good hotel. Well positioned and well appointed. Extremely freindly and efficient staff,

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Guest_Relations_2009, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Service Excellence is the way to go,

Thank you very much for your positive review. It is always nice to hear that our valued guest receives the quality service that they truly deserve.

We hope to welcome you back soon in the near future.

Warm regards,

Kathleen Hedges
Guest Relations Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

So the Crowne Plaza in Rosebank is the best Crowne Plaza I've stayed in, and it was much nicer than we could have hoped for, in that we only booked it as a "jumping-off point" to/from a game reserve. It was clean, and quiet, and seemed perfectly safe. (In case you were wondering.)

Problems: hotel staff didn't give us our wake-up call AND messed up our car arrangements. But my main issue with the hotel concerned the bathrooms. Our first room's bathroom had see-through walls. This may not sound like a problem to some couples out there, but THIS couple appreciates a bit of "mystery" when it comes to toilet usage. I should point out that our second room's bathroom did not have see-through walls; one member of staff mentioned that he can't figure out why some of the bathrooms in the hotel put you on display while some of them don't, but at least there is a way to opt out (or in?).

Anyway, we had an otherwise uneventful stay at a perfectly fine hotel, one close to shopping malls and far from shabby. If I ever go back to Jo'burg, I'll probably stay there, just not in one of the "special" rooms. (I might bring my own alarm clock, and make my own car arrangements, too.)

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at Crowne Plaza- Johannesburg – The Rosebank. It’s very much appreciated!

I have discussed concerns relevant departments, to ensure that history does not repeat itself.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best regards,

Kathleen Hedges
Guest Relations Manager
Nairobi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

This is the first time I have decided to stay in the Rosebank area of Johannesburg. The name Crowne Plaza itself should inspire confidence in travelers and I have also been to the funky bar there on other occasions so I thought it would be a good idea to stay here last time. The room was not bad - it had all the mod cons and amenities but the bathroom was tiny, and the heating doesn't work (it was very cold). I understand the executive wing is much better.

The Rosebank area is one of the safest in Johannesburg and visitors can walk within a short distance of the hotel to the mall and other restaurants in the area. However first timers should not rely on the hotel staff to give you information on where to go or recommend any decent restaurants - they don't know much! And if you are there for business then you need to be extra clever in booking restaurants in advance as all the restaurants in the area turn down people from 9 pm which would leave you with just burgers from Steers. Their own in-house room service menu is boring, the food stale and mediocre tasting.

Another thing: do not rely on the hotel to arrange taxis for you: they charge 50 to 100% more than regular metered cabs!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Comfort is key,

We would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at Crowne Plaza – Johannesburg – The Rosebank. It’s very much appreciated!
Guest’s perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying at our hotel is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. We can therefore assure you that your feedback is being used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our guest service standards and facilities offered.

We wish to welcome you back soon at our trendy hotel.

Warm regards,

Allan Clingham
General manager
Philadelphia area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

This hotel gave us one of the best beds ever, and perhaps THE best breakfast ever. BUT it charges to use wireless, even on our own computer, which is inexcusable in these years. And despite an abundant staff there were cleanliness and maintainence issues. There was litter on elevator floors, for example, and when we checked in the room had two nonfunctioning items. (The water heater for tea/instant coffee had a broken switch--lying right beside it--such that it didn't work. And the closet sliding door was off-track such that it couldn't be used. We reported these things and they were fixed, but in a better hotel the housekeeping staff world have noticed the flaws and had them repaired before the next guest checked in.)
We booked this as part of a package with a travel agent and thus breakfast was included, but otherwise it would have cost $23 each. There are no alternative places for breakfast for some 6 blocks. However, the hotel breakfast is enormously varied and worth $23 (everything from pickled herring to carrot juice, with all the basics covered with quality and prompt service).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Guest_Relations_2009, Owner at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for your feedback.
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer free unlimited internet services at our hotel, due to the high cost of internet coverage in South Africa and the limited bandwidth available. If free access would be provided to all of our guests, the online experience would not live up to the expectations of the user and certainly cause more frustration due to the bandwidth limitations mentioned earlier.
Please accept my sincere apology regarding your bad experiences during your last stay with us.
I have raised your concerns regarding Maintenance and cleanliness with my management team, and they are working on it as we speak.
Please allow me to apologize that the dining options for breakfast were not provided to you. We have a couple of restaurants available in the Zone shopping centre located only a block away from the hotel. We also offer breakfast in our Fresh restaurant located in the hotel lobby.
We wish to welcome you back in the future to have a true Jozi experience.

Kathleen Hedges – Guest Relations Manager
Crowne Plaza – Johannesburg – The Rosebank
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

Nice hotel with a good choice at breakfast. Usual buffet style. The Steak retaurant much better than the usual hotel fare and resonably price. Beware the 700g rib is virtually all meat so take it easy on the starch. Given an upgarde as a Platinum Club member. Smart roon with IPod radio, flat screen tv etc. The usual paid internet is a pain but the norm. iPass works here though. Not sure about the ultra modern shower / wet room idea with the smoke glass divier into the bedroom. Not so smoked with the lights on!

Room Tip: Smile. It helps
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback.

It is great to hear that you had a good experience at the butchers block, and that you were recognized as a platinum card holder.

We hope to welcome you back soon at the Crowne Plaza – Johannesburg – The Rosebank

Allan Clingham
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

I've chosen to stay at the Crowne Plaza a number of time over the past 6 months as I come in on regular business trips from Australia, and have found it to be on average a reasonable quality hotel, with just a couple of minor issues per stay (ordering white wine for dinner, getting red wine for eg). Nothing really untoward.

However my recent three-day stay was an unforgettable parade of unpleasant experiences, which commenced when I checked into my room after a long-haul flight from Perth, only to discover someone had left a deposit in the toilet that had not been flushed out by the cleaning staff. UGH! The bath also did not work, and it took literally two hours to get a Maintenance guy to my room.

OK so I finally take my bath in the tiny bathroom, and put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, and head off for a nap, only to be woken up 2 hrs later BY A MAN STANDING IN MY ROOM at the foot of my bed. He said he'd been sent to check on the quality of the room as I'd complained earlier - I'd also told Reception earlier in a follow-up phone call I was going to sleep and did not want to be disturbed. This in addition to the Do Not Disturb sign on the door.......Not happy.

I go back to sleep, another 2 hrs pass, and then some other random staff member knocks on the door - I haven't removed the Do Not Disturb sign by the way, it's still there!! So I get woken up AGAIN. for nothing. Again not happy.

The next morning I head off to my meeting using the Travel Desk service, having given them the address the night before and told them I needed to be at a meeting by 7.30am and to allow the driver enough time to arrive on time etc. I jump in the car, we head off, and it turns out 5 mins later the driver has NO idea at all where I am going, we drive around the suburbs, stopping three times so he could ask people on the street for directions, and I arrive at my meeting 30mins late. Not feeling any happier by this point in time.

Yes I had a good whinge when I checked out, yes the nice manager-type man gave me a gift of body products to take with me as an apology and took a night's booking off my final bill, thanks, but would have simply rather not had the hassle and stress of all the stuff-ups.

So at the end of the day, I have decided NEVER to return to this hotel, as they clearly do not care at all about living up to their 3-4* rating.

1 Thank DameDuFerAustralie
Guest_Relations_2009, Owner at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Thank you so much for your honest feedback! It truly saddens me when one of our loyal guests does not get the quality service they deserve. I can assure you that offering a consistent high quality guest experience is extremely important to us at The Crowne Plaza Johannesburg. Hence, I would like to sincerely apologize for your recent disappointing experience with regards to your room’s maintenance and housekeeping standards. All the issues – including your experiences with our travel desk - have been raised with my management team, and we are working on it as we speak. I do sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, to make sure that you are well taken care off. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I could be of any assistance.

Allan Clingham – General Manager