“Stink of Sewage and Horrible Plumbing”

Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
San Jose, California
“Stink of Sewage and Horrible Plumbing”
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I can't say many nice things about this hotel but I will attempt to justify how I gave it 2/5 instead of 0/5. First the rooms and hotel lounge look very posh. It's definitely a trendy and fun hotel. It is also walking distance to the Rosebank mall for shopping and meals. The area around the hotel is safe to walk a few blocks as well.

Now onto why you should think twice before booking this hotel . First the entire floor smells of sewage. That's probably because the plumbing does not work. I traveled with a big group and it seems that everyone had various plumbing issues. Ours included a non-flushing toilet a non-draining bath tub. Waking up to the smell of everyone's sewage is absolutely disgusting! We complained the first morning and they said they would look into it. After an entire day of meetings, I come back to the same problems. They say they will look into it, but that just means they do nothing about it.

On top of that, as a business hotel, I figure that they would have functioning alarm clocks or wake up calls, Their alarm clocks often lose power so you can't trust them. On top of that their wake up calls didn't always come through so I almost missed a morning meeting.

The elevators are extremely slow and don't work half the time. You're better off taking the stairs.

Lastly, I'm a Priority Club Gold member and generally I'm guaranteed a 2 category upgrade. Upon check in they told me they couldn't accomodate it because I didn't physically make the booking myself. What difference does it make that I book it versus someone who I hire to book it for me? I went back again the next day to talk to another manager and again, they said they would look into it but nothing got done when I returned from my meetings. It's horrible how they treat their Gold members. I can hardly imagine how they treat regular clients.

In summary if you HAD to stay in the Rosebank, please stay at the Grace Hotel across the street. My friends stayed there and it's a 5/5 rating. They even sent a security guard to walk over to get me.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank Joy S
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Dear Guest,

I was most concerned to learn of the events during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg! I can assure you that the plumbing and sewage issues you and your group members experienced were incidental and not reflect the product standard we offer to all of our guests.

Unfortunately, we had to inform you that no upgrade options were available at the hotel on the dates you were staying at the hotel due to bookings from other Priority Club members bookings who were given priority in advance during room allocations due to the fact they booked through PC and a qualifying rate. We do hope you enjoyed all other PC benefits offered at the hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us, and for bringing this matter to our attention.

Allan Clingham - General Manager Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Shropshire
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I loved the quirky touches in the reception and bar area of this hotel, and found the service excellent. Every staff member I made eye contact with went out of their way to say good morning/good afternoon.

I'm a bit puzzled by some of the comments on here - or maybe I was just lucky? I had no problem at all with noise levels in my room. The bathroom wasn't large, but I can't say it struck me as being too small - there was a very nice shower, all modern facilities, and I certainly didn't found I needed more space. The wifi was slow but fine - I booked airline tickets without a problem.

The room service menu was a bit limited for me as a vegetarian, but the meals I ordered came promptly and were well presented and nicely cooked.

As I walked out of the hotel to leave, I remember thinking to myself that I felt I had been extremely well-looked after. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Short note of appriciation from the entire team at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg! We look forward welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed May 30, 2011

Nicely located trendy hotel, excellent food at the restaurant, however rooms are noisy (I could hear my next door neighbours tv as if it was in my room) and cleaning staff not very discreet in the corridor despite the numerous DND signs on the doors.
Apart from that, a pleasant enough 24 hour stay.

• Stayed May 2011
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Dear Guest, I can assure you that the level of discretion of our housekeeping team has been noted and will be addressed accordingly. Thank you helping us to improve our service levels!

Hope to see you soon in the trendy Rosebank area, at the trendy Crowne Plaza Johannesburg!

At your service,

Allang Clingham - General Manager
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
Reviewed May 30, 2011

excellent hotel - staff great - all very friendly - willing to offer an assistance - knowlegeable about the area and roads - breakfast selection outstanding - breakfast staff delightful - front office team very professional - very central, and a safe hotel

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Quick thank you from all of us! Thrilled to hear our team has managed to live up to your expectations! Hope to see you soon again at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Service was exemplary in all areas, on check in I was warmly welcomed back (being my second stay), room service was delivered on time and by a friendly waitress who introduced herself by name, food was well presented and hot. Breakfast buffet had plenty on offer and waitrons were on top form offering coffee refills and hot toast. The gym was well equipped and the security and comfort were all 5star plus.......couldn't get better in Johannesburg.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
Thank you for your "all round" excellent comments. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and I will definitely share your review with the entire team.

See you soon at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg!

At your service,

Wales, UK
Reviewed April 17, 2011

This is my third time staying here and it is growing on me.

Despite a platinum card, this is the first time that I've been upgraded. The rooms before were adequate but nothing special and a bit small. This time, they upgraded me to a suite. Like the downstairs of the hotel, it was all early seventies retro, complete with purple shag rug. I really like it but a colleague who visited me was appalled.

The beds are very comfortable as you would expect. It's a pity that they haven't installed the devices that force bedroom doors to close slowly as the noise from the corridor can intrude. They also need to tell the friendly staff to keep it quiet in the corridors.

Unlike many Jo'burg hotels, this one is really well-run: efficient, reliable service from friendly people who seem genuinely interested in making your stay comfortable.

The gym is small (five pieces of cardio equipment; a very high tech cable multi gym and some freeweights. It's not grear but it's well maintained and adequate for a short stay. There's a much bigger one nearby where you can pay by the day.

The Wifi voucher system is irritating (you need to get a new voucher for each 24 hours and it must be physically delivered). The speed is good by South African standards but that's not saying much -- the joys of a monopoly telecoms provider.

The hotel is in the middle of Rosebank -- a short walk to the shopping mall and it will soon be a short walk to the Gautrain station (the line is due to open in July 2012). That will make it about 25 minutes by train (with one change) from O.R. Tambo. At the moment, it's about 15 minutes to the Sandton station. The hotel can be a bit over-insistent on you using their own cars rather than taxis from the street -- no doubt they'll say it's for safety but it can lead to delays if you don't pre-book.

A good hotel with nice people. I'll definitely be back

Room Tip: Look for the seventies retro suites -- very cool
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_2009, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Dear Sir

Greeting from a not so sunny South africa and the staff from the Crowne Plaza- The Rosebank.

Your comments have been noted and sent through to the relevant departments.

I am glad to hear that you had a fantastic stay and lok forward to welcoming you back to your suite again soon

Yours in hospitality
Bronwen Stead
Guest Relations Manager
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed April 16, 2011

A luxury hotel with all the services and amenities you can imagine, with spa, business center, cafe, restaurant, travel desk and shop. But everything is ridiculously over priced (example: washing one panty costs 15 rand!). Excellent staff and close to the Rosebank Mall, where they have a good African Market. Also located right across a police station and next to a medical clinic, which is very useful as I fell sick while there.

It was a disappointment that there was no swimming pool which one can swim in there, as the one they have is very small. And for that price they could at least have offered free internet!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_2009, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Dear Madam

Greetings from a chilly Crowne plaza-The Rosebank. Great to hear you enjoyed the services and atmosphere at our beautiful hotel.

Your higlighted comments regarding laundry prices has ben sent to our outsourced laundry company for their review.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Kind regards