“disappointing experience”
Review of Villa Schreiner

Villa Schreiner
Ranked #33 of 298 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 4, 2012

The location of the villa is good, the rooms are okay and there is a very nice garden.
At first glance the interieur looks modern but if you look closer everything is a bit old and not so clean. In the morning they don't serve the full english breakfast that is mentioned. Both mornings the bread was frozen and nothing is really fresh.
At arrival we could join in for a braai. The salads were good, the meat somewhat dry. At the dinnertable a nice conversation amongst guests turned into an awkward political discussion because of the dominant presence of the owner, Michiel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Marieke G

Reviewed October 21, 2011

Villa Schreiner and its owner Michiel epitomizes what hospitality should be all about. From the moment I arrived to the day I left I felt welcome and at home. To top this the excellent service, well appointed rooms and the huge garden with its chill areas, beautiful lawns and sparkling pool makes this the ideal home away from home for everyone from businessman to families. I can without hesitation recommend Villa Scheiner and categorically state that this was easily the best value for money I have experienced for a very long time.

Room Tip: Just ask Michiel, he will ensure that you stay in a room that fits your requirements
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank JohanHuisamen
Reviewed September 10, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Villa Schreiner for 2 weeks whilst having medical treatment at a local clinic. We needed somewhere quiet and relaxing. Michiel (the owner) made us feel so welcome. He arranged an airport pick-up for us and showed us the best places to eat locally.
Our room was large and comfortable and well equipped with a lovely view of the large garden with its pool and the gorgeous "summer house" which was a joy to sit in.
The B&B is in a residential area and about 20 minutes walk from Douglasdale centre which has restaurants, bars and supermarkets. It is just across the road from Jukskei Park with its charming river.
Michiel has been in the tourism business for many years and runs a business organising safaris. We needed a few days away and he kindly organised a superb trip for us and booked the accommodation and organised a Hire Car that was delivered to us at the B&B. He event lent us his SatNav !
All in all, if you are looking for a good value, friendly, relaxing place to stay then we recommedn you consider Villa Schriener.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank S_Waters806084
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I have lodged at Villa Schreiner multiple times over the past 9 months when visiting South Africa. I travel to Joburg about every other month on business. I discovered Michiel's hide-away while surfing TA and hope I can help others make the same discovery -- just don't be in my room when I am due back in town. I have stayed in all of the rooms at the Villa and discovered that they all have their own special character, comfort and provide a great place to relax away from the bustling city. My favorite place to hang is the Boma where Michiel has thoughtfully provided an honesty bar and relaxing furniture by the pool and garden. It has now become a informal tradition that Michiel prepares a Braai at least one night whenever I visit. I was even able to bring along 3 of my business colleagues on the last trip -- they all wanted to know how I found such a delightful place. I will also mention the wifi is strong, the coffee is delicious, the staff are very competent -- and the dog is happy to see me. The location is in a nice neighborhood and close to a small park. oh -- one more thing -- great breakfast choices too. Ciao

Room Tip: I've stayed in all the rooms -- all good
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank rsteele211
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We had a great time in Villa Schreiner, thanks to the unmatched hospitality of the Dutch host and owner Micheal Schreiner. The superior room is great, and our children loved Michael and his place. The pool and the garden is terrific, very quiet, big and beautiful. The breakfast is very varied and tastful with for example fruit, yoghurt, eggs any style, bacon, vegetables, toast, breadrolls. We could order what we liked! Michael gave a lot of information about things to do. A big shoppingmal, great restaurants and the highway are just 5 minutes away. So it is very easy to reach the airport. A great relaxed place to stay in Joh’burg!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Villa Schreiner is a very friendly, clean and hospitable B&B. We feel familiar during our 14 days stay. Michiel Schreiner gave us such nice tips for shopping areas, restaurants and not forgetting for a unforgettable safari. With no hesitation we can recommend this lovely b&b!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Had a wonderful time, the room was beautifully clean and a good size for our 2 toddlers and my husband and I, the bathroom was amazing too. Breakfast was delicious and the location extremely handy for us visiting friends. Michael didn't mind us having friends visiting in the evenings and although we were worried about staying in a B&B with 2 young toddlers he was very accommodating. I can thoroughly recommend this as somewhere to stay in Johannesburg.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family