“Country space with great rooms and the best open shower” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tintswalo at Waterfall

and 1 more site!
Tintswalo at Waterfall
Ranked #27 of 70 Hotels in Johannesburg
“Country space with great rooms and the best open shower”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

Great, spacious rooms with the best open shower. Great food and feel like you are in the country after a hard day of business in the hustle & bustle of Jozi

• Stayed September 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Abingdon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

I travel extensively on business and stay at many top class big name hotels around the world. I stayed at the Waterfall Hotel for 3 days and thought the whole experience was one to compare with the very best. It was a welcome oasis from the hustle and bustle of the busy agenda which formed my South African schedule. The accommodation is luxurious and charming but the unprompted service and thoughtfulness of the staff made it a truly memorable experience. On a clear road it is less than 15 minutes drive to Sandton and another 15 minutes to the middle of Johannesburg but sitting on the terrace looking out over the polo ground with Kyalami race circuit in the far distance you could be a million miles away. Great place, lovely people.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed in Tintswalo Waterfall for a couple days at the end of our SA holiday to relax and catch up with a few friends and colleagues in and around Joburg.
Everything was really good, from the friendly and efficient service from the front desk to the lovely rooms and bathrooms to the spa and the food in the restaurant. The best part for me was however the setting in the Waterfall Equestrian Estate - it is quiet and secure, but still within easy reach of everything you need or want in Sandton.
Only slight negative is some of the staff, especially in the restaurant, can do with a bit of training on things like the menu and how to serve clients in an environment like this, however what they lack in skill they do make up in enthusiasm and friendliness.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone looking for a relaxing stay in Joburg or a great location for a conference or business meeting.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Beirut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

We spent so much money on this hotel, and were disappointed beyond words. Okay, it looks nice, the rooms are spacious, nicely decorated. But that's it. The staff at the front desk is unhelpful and cold. We asked for an international plug, and they "ran out" of them, but of course didn't suggest getting one, even though the hotel is miles away from anything. The location is terrible. The cost charged by the hotel to use the driver is completely ridiculous. Also, we had to cancel a day trip to Pilansberg, three days in advance, and they charged us for 60% of the trip!!! and by the way when I made the reservation, no one said anything about cancellation fees. I loved South Africa and I loved the two other hotels we went to, but this one, the most expensive, was the black spot of our trip.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travelingways
Olargues, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2010

A small group of us (two couples and a single) stayed at Tintswalo following two and a half weeks in the bush in northern Botswana. We chose the hotel for a relaxing interlude prior to our long flights home to North America.

It was a 45 minute ride from Johannesburg Airport; longer than we'd anticipated. Upon arrival we were greeted with champagne (nice) and seated on low sofas to complete check-in paperwork, which we balanced on our knees (not nice). And what paperwork! I didn't sign as many papers when I bought my house! At one point my friends and I, after answering endless, essentially personal questions, put down our pens and said "Enough!"

Our three rooms were spacious, luxurious and offered every amenity. The bathrooms were a dream, with huge walk-in showers and water pressure to equal Victoria Falls. When I phoned for an iron and ironing board a staff member arrived instantly to inquire if she couldn't iron the item for me.

We had arranged a (We are) Out of Africa farewell dinner in the private dining room, located in the cozy wine cellar. The meal was extraordinary; every dish perfection. And the bill was extremely reasonable.

Breakfast was less of a success. We couldn't quite determine what was included in our room rate and what was extra, and the dining staff was unable to offer any guidance. There was only one other table occupied, yet obtaining a cup of coffee seemed a major undertaking. (Had they gone to Kenya for the beans???) We'd scheduled an hour for breakfast prior to our transfer to the airport, but clearly that was not enough time. Hot entrees (basic eggs and bacon) took over 30 minutes to reach our table. All items - once they finally arrived - were delicious, but we wished we didn't have to gobble them down while our limo idled outside the door.

To the hotel's credit, our single friend, whose flight did not leave until late that evening, was graciously offered her room for the whole of the day - at no charge, and without her even asking. THAT'S classy.

Would I stay at Tintswalo again? Probably not, even though it's a beautiful, restful hotel. It has an in-the-middle-of-a-housing-development location; pleasant but uninspiring. (The views of securely walled-in, villa-sized homes with their terra cotta roofs reminded me of California's "Yes, we're rich" Costa Mesa.)

Far from the airport, and far from downtown as well, Tintswalo is a long drive from anywhere. For an overnight between flights, I'd probably choose a hotel closer to the airport - though I'd miss that waterfall shower!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tattnall
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2009

Before booking my stay this hotel seemed to meet all my requirements; Quiet location in the countryside, luxurious, and service oriented. Indeed during my stay it was all these things, but it just didn't seem to hit the right note.

Yes, the location is quiet, but the hotel is located in the middle of a housing estate with construction going on on every side. Although I was not disturbed by any of the construction noise, it does lend an unfinished air to the area.

There were a few business groups that used the hotel during the day which decreased the sense of intimacy. The groups also kept the staff very busy, although they did make an effort to continue to attend to overnight guests.

The rooms are spacious, the beds are very comfortable with lovely linen, and the cookies were a nice touch. They are also showing signs of aging with stained carpets and chipped paint. The bathrooms are very nice.

Breakfast and lunch were very good. Service in the restaurant was warm but quite slow.

The staff seem to have been very well trained, and were quick to make me feel at home upon arrival. However when a few issues arose that required correction the staff were exceedingly polite but never really resolved the problems.

Overall it was not worth the drive from the airport. I would probably choose somewhere more central for my next visit.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Livetowander
Yenzi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

I have stayed in this hotel for one night and I was impressed with the room (spacious, new and very clean) and the attention level of the staff. The hotel has style due to the use an equestrian thematic in the architecture and decoration.

The food was also very good . Dinner and breakfast was very tasty and served without delays.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple