“There was good and there was bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Brown Sugar Backpackers

Brown Sugar Backpackers
Chicago
“There was good and there was bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

I stayed while there for the world cup so I did have the bennifit of it being packed so maybe things are different at other times. It was overprice and only 1 and the 3 nights I stayed was there hot water. It was really cold in the rooms and no space heaters. I was sleeping by a window and was glad I had and extra blanket. Everyone was sleeping in multiple layers. The good was the drivers were really nice, the breakfast was included in the price and the bar was intertaining. The staff was friendly and helpful but the internet is more expensive there than any othe backpacker I have been to in SA. I was desperate and had to stay there an extra night which didn't make me to happy but I made some new friends so that is an upside.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Oslo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I fully agree with ibejrock: we stayed one night with them in a double room one week before the World Cup, which was alright. However, when we asked them what it would cost us if we would camp 2 nights one week later because we were going to visit a World Cup match, they told us they wanted us to pay 350,- rand (40 euro) per Person per night to sleep in our OWN little tent on their campsite! Obviously we never agreed on this crazy rate and when we came back to Joh'burg one week later we went searching for another place which was owned by HONEST people who did not raise their prices with 400% because of the World Cup...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Johannesburg hotels

Copenhagen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

....but we had no electricity in our room. No electricity in the hallway or in the bathroom. We had no hot water for 2 days either. Our room was fairly nice, quite spacious for a double room and a nice big closet.
The kitchen staff was very nice a prepared us a nice meal eventhough we hadn't ordered it beforehand.
We where picked up at the airport which was nice and taken directly to the hotel.
We took the trip out to Soweto arranged by Brown Sugar. The guide was a Brown Sugar employee which was fine, but he didn't really tell us anything other than what he was supposed to - that seemed a bit strange to me.
Overall Brown Sugar has a lot of rooms and a vibrant atmosphere but they lack in cleaning and location due to no shops, restaurants, cafe's, stores or anything nearby.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank MariaCPHCopenhagen
Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

Sorry to say that but the rooms were very dirty. One night it was raining and I had to cross a courtyard without light through the mud to reach the toilet.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Budapest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

We liked Brown Sugar. A huge building with many different rooms (single, double, triple, dorm). Staff are helpful if not enthusiastic. The place offer good daytrips (even if sometimes we found them slightly overpriced) and taxi services, and very efficient free pickup from the airport. A cozy place, definitely not for party animals. The internet should be cheaper and working better.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

I made a booking at this hostel for the World Cup in 2010 five months ago in July. I was feeling very proud to have nailed down my reservations at a good price. Then, I received an email TODAY saying that rates had gone up and if I wanted to keep my reservation I had to respond immediately. The price had gone from $80 a night to over $200 a night!!! But it is now very late in the booking process at most other hostels so I have little choice but to pay more. If they had let me known months ago of their rates I would have gone elsewhere. The owner, Liezel Roux, needs to get her act together. Don't fall for this! Book elsewhere!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

A spacious place with many rooms and a very nice staff. Very close to the airport and thus a great place to make a stopover in Jo’burg. Very inexpensive. I would recommend staying in one of the cabins out back. A wonderful view of the sunset can be had from the front patio. The only drawback is that every time I was there, the place was rather empty so there wasn’t much of a social scene in the bar area.

If you’re travelling with the Baz Bus, this is where the driver spends the night so you’ll be the first person on the bus in the morning!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo