Lebo's Soweto Backpackers
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Genesis All-Suite Hotel(Johannesburg)
Clico Boutique Hotel(Johannesburg)
$189
$152
Travelocity
The Reef Hotel(Johannesburg)(Great Value!)
$70
$67
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbike tourhour tourvilakazi streethector pietersondaily livesstory tellingbunny chowlocal lunchtasty lunchreggae musicorlando westapartheid eratownship lifesights and smellstraditional meallocal kidscamp fire
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We chose to do the 2-hour tour of Soweto. A driver was sent to Braamfontein station to pick us up and drove us back there after the tour. He was really nice and friendly and explained a lot of things to us as he was from Soweto (but he wasn’t taking part in the tour, he was just helping the Backpackers with the picking-up of people).
This has been a really interesting and original way of visiting Soweto. The use of bikes allowed us to be closer to the population and not only have a look at the location through car windows. Very moving experience.
Little disappointment though: in the highlights of the tour, Nelson Mandela’s house is mentioned. But note that it is not the entrance to the house. Just a look around it behind bars. And as we didn’t have much time, we could not stay longer there…
Otherwise, I find it a bit pricey compared to other attractions in Jo’burg but as part of the money is going to the community, I don't really mind.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EleanorRigbyEverglot
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This guesthouse provides a great way to experience life in Soweto. To be able to see Soweto from the inside, and realize what a vibrant and safe neighborhood it actually is was a really great experience. Staff is friendly and helpful and the garden with the fire pitch is a great place to spend some time relaxing and socializing in the evenings. Bike tour was really nice. This place I would recommend because of the experience and the atmosphere.

Room Tip: I was in the twin room that had the window out to the dining room, it was a very nice room, but you would get woken up by the breakfast being prepared in the morning so I don't recommend it if you want to have a lay in.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Carin_jinja
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Lebo and Lungi took my family and I (wife and two daugters aged 11 and 9) around the sites and sounds of Soweto. This was an amazing experience, which gave a balanced and experienced insight into the area. They say that history is written by the victors, but in the case of Soweto this line is less defined.
Although we didn't stay at the backpackers there was certainly a great vibe in the time we spent there and our hosts during the tour could not have been more helpful. Superb.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Graham R
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed in Soweto and it has been one of the most impressive visits during the holiday - the staff is very nice (although vegetarian is a flexible definition, it seems), and combining a stay here with one of the bicycle tours and/or the apartheid museum makes for a worthwhile destination.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank southafricavisitor
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I loved staying at Lebo's. I was travelling solo and was the only guest there during my stay, so I was sooo well looked after. Really nice place, clean rooms (and newer, brighter, better quality than a lot of others I have stayed at), secure hostel and rooms. Lovely staff and awesome bar area outside - loved hearing the beats from the street at night while sitting in the upstairs indoor-outdoor area having a few beers. If you are here, you HAVE to do the bike tour of Soweto, the guides were fantastic and there is so much history to the area.
(I was here around September 2012 but am just slow getting my review up)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo