“Terrific as always!”

Cotswold Gardens Guest House
Ranked #6 of 305 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Great business stay as always. The room was gorgeous and spacious, I really enjoyed the pool during the Jhb summer heat. As always Janine and Mike were helpful, even providing me with breakfast on the run when I wanted to get up at 5 each morning. I really love the peaceful and quiet area and the beautiful, luscious gardens.

Room Tip: Room 2 is beautiful
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
46Cotswold, Owner at Cotswold Gardens Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Sonja hi, thank you again for your wonderful review of CG. We are delighted that you enjoy staying with us. See you soon. Best regards.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

We had an extremely comfortable experience at Cotswold Gardens, when we stayed there for thirteen (13) days. It is located in a quiet and beautiful neighborhood. Rosebank mall, The FIRS, The ZONE, hotels, hospitals are very close to Cotswold Gardens. The environment was very beautiful and always kept clean.

Mike, Janine and other staff were very friendly and helpful, assisting us in every possible way; they would call a reliable cab for us, print directions to places, suggest places to see and many more. There are dozens of brochures regarding tourist attractions, malls, etc which were very useful for us.

The breakfast were delicious and we had our favorite DSTV channels to watch. Above all, the beds were comfortable to sleep on.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
46Cotswold, Owner at Cotswold Gardens Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Daniel, thank you so much for your lovely review of CG. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay. My best regards to you and Samuel.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Three of us stayed at Cotswold Gardens just before Christmas 2013. It's a beautiful house, with spectacular gardens and pool - very relaxing and comfortable. Great location too, in a beautiful, quiet neighborhood. Hosts Janine and Mike were wonderfully informative, offering excellent advice - we were lucky to meet up with them also on the Garden Route a few days later. Superb breakfasts; friendly, attentive staff; couldn't ask for better.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Jeremy thank you so much for your terrific review. It was lovely to meet all of you and again in Wilderness. We hope to see you out here again in the not too distant future. Best regards.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Wonderful place-quiet and peaceful. Great for a business stay as well. Will be returning again soon.Very central to transport and close to shops.Great breakfasts and great service.The bed was very comfortable and the room very clean and spacious.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
46Cotswold, Owner at Cotswold Gardens Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Cotswold Gardens. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Happy new year and best regards Janine

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Cotswold Gardens with our friends - a home away from home and our hosts Janine and Mike were most helpful, friendly and obliging - wonderful location to shops and restaurants as well

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
46Cotswold, Owner at Cotswold Gardens Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Marjorie, thank you so much for your review of Cotswold Gardens. It was lovely to see you both again and thank you for your second visit with your two friends. It was so good to meet them too. Hope to see you on your next trip to SA. Warm regards.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I had a remarkably pleasant and comfortable experience during my recent business trip, when I stayed 5 nights at Cotswold Gardens. The owners were wonderfully generous and helpful, from helping me find a regular cab driver to producing a delicious set of homemade cookies and a glass of wine for my arrival on the first night, when I got in too late to find dinner in the neighborhood. The public living areas and gardens are gorgeous and relaxing, and the breakfast was quite simply the best I've had in frequent travel over 4 continents.

At first, I admit that I was somewhat underwhelmed. My relatively small room was decorated in white-on-white country style, with furniture that seemed a bit uninspired, if not somewhat Ikea-ish. But minor disappointment was more than made up for by the absolutely comfortable bed, hot and strong shower, and great living spaces. As someone traveling alone, I was also very gratified by the kindness and generosity of the owners - I felt at home, but never pushed to make more conversation than I wanted.

The location is also really good - a lovely tree-lined neighborhood, relatively close to downtown and less than a mile from Rosebank mall, which as a mall is somewhat over-rated, but which does have nice restaurants.

One thing to realize about Johannesburg is that there is a pervasive fear of crime, and this can definitely affect travelers' experiences. I was strongly discouraged from going out alone at night (by many people, so I assume they are right). This meant that I ended up eating take-out from Nandos in my room, or ordering delivery - not the best dining experiences. I did once walk to one of the fine restaurants at the Rosebank mall (arriving there before dark) and then took a cab home for the less-than-a-mile return trip. Of course, this has nothing to do with the B&B -- which is in one of the safest neighborhoods--and I think people traveling in a group or with their own car would be far more free to get around, but it's worth noting.

Overall, a fabulous place that I will highly recommend to anyone and everyone going to Joburg.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
46Cotswold, Owner at Cotswold Gardens Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you so much for your marvelous review of Cotswold Gardens. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again one day in Johannesburg.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

If you are looking for an affordable, nice, welcoming, place to stay VERY Close to Rosebank and Gautrain- this is the perfect place.
The hosts are helpful- without being over barring.
The gardens are an excellent place to relax, read and just chill...
The environment is like home.. but without the hassle of cleaning :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TurtleLady2013
46Cotswold, Owner at Cotswold Gardens Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay.