“Wonderful stay”

Cotswold Gardens Guest House
Ranked #6 of 298 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Cotswold Gardens with our friends - a home away from home and our hosts Janine and Mike were most helpful, friendly and obliging - wonderful location to shops and restaurants as well

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
46Cotswold, Owner at Cotswold Gardens Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Marjorie, thank you so much for your review of Cotswold Gardens. It was lovely to see you both again and thank you for your second visit with your two friends. It was so good to meet them too. Hope to see you on your next trip to SA. Warm regards.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I had a remarkably pleasant and comfortable experience during my recent business trip, when I stayed 5 nights at Cotswold Gardens. The owners were wonderfully generous and helpful, from helping me find a regular cab driver to producing a delicious set of homemade cookies and a glass of wine for my arrival on the first night, when I got in too late to find dinner in the neighborhood. The public living areas and gardens are gorgeous and relaxing, and the breakfast was quite simply the best I've had in frequent travel over 4 continents.

At first, I admit that I was somewhat underwhelmed. My relatively small room was decorated in white-on-white country style, with furniture that seemed a bit uninspired, if not somewhat Ikea-ish. But minor disappointment was more than made up for by the absolutely comfortable bed, hot and strong shower, and great living spaces. As someone traveling alone, I was also very gratified by the kindness and generosity of the owners - I felt at home, but never pushed to make more conversation than I wanted.

The location is also really good - a lovely tree-lined neighborhood, relatively close to downtown and less than a mile from Rosebank mall, which as a mall is somewhat over-rated, but which does have nice restaurants.

One thing to realize about Johannesburg is that there is a pervasive fear of crime, and this can definitely affect travelers' experiences. I was strongly discouraged from going out alone at night (by many people, so I assume they are right). This meant that I ended up eating take-out from Nandos in my room, or ordering delivery - not the best dining experiences. I did once walk to one of the fine restaurants at the Rosebank mall (arriving there before dark) and then took a cab home for the less-than-a-mile return trip. Of course, this has nothing to do with the B&B -- which is in one of the safest neighborhoods--and I think people traveling in a group or with their own car would be far more free to get around, but it's worth noting.

Overall, a fabulous place that I will highly recommend to anyone and everyone going to Joburg.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
46Cotswold, Owner at Cotswold Gardens Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you so much for your marvelous review of Cotswold Gardens. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again one day in Johannesburg.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

If you are looking for an affordable, nice, welcoming, place to stay VERY Close to Rosebank and Gautrain- this is the perfect place.
The hosts are helpful- without being over barring.
The gardens are an excellent place to relax, read and just chill...
The environment is like home.. but without the hassle of cleaning :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TurtleLady2013
46Cotswold, Owner at Cotswold Gardens Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed for two months whilst our home was being renovated. Cotswold Gardens was an oasis of tranquility during our noisy and dirty renovations. The owners were absolutely wonderful and supportive and made us feel very welcome - well beyond the requirements of guest house proprietors. Breakfasts were excellent with broad selection of foods and especially delicious croissants. We left having made new friends. Thank you both, Jeanine and Mike!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill H
46Cotswold, Owner at Cotswold Gardens Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Bill, thank you, I appreciate your review so much and am thrilled we could help during this stressful time of building. That Cotswold Gardens was such a peaceful haven for you both is wonderful . Hope to see you soon, warm regards .

Reviewed November 7, 2013

After arrival in Johannesburg with a 2.5 hr wait in customs control it was a blessing to be welcomed by Janine & Mike and to sample home made cookies, coffee and the tranquility of the superb gardens. The attention to detail and the service complimented by the staff was a joy to receive. As strangers to the area we were put at ease and directed to places as per our requirement. Albeit evening meals are not available there are local takeaway shops and restaurants who engage a separate courier company to collect and deliver your meal, ie: they will collect from 2 different takeaways/restaurants. The price/s were astonishingly low, £24.00 for 2 plentiful meals including 2 bottles of Rose.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much Tony, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will return one day. Best regards to you both.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have being staying at this guest house over a number of years.The service has been consistently good during this time. The accommodation has met my needs, the breakfast offering is comprehensive and a big attraction is the tranquil gardens amid the rush of the city. The location is ideal between the city and Sandton and is directly accessible from the freeway. Lastly the friendliness and the accommodating nature of the hostess is the cherry on the top.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
46Cotswold, Owner at Cotswold Gardens Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you so much Robert, I really appreciate your wonderful review and hope you will be back again in the not too distant future. My best regards.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Cotswold is such a beautiful homestay. From the moment you walk in, the beauty of the place strikes you- with beautiful purple trees and flowers and a huge garden. The rooms are absolutely delightful and the bathroom is very neat and clean. There is coffee, tea and cookies in each room and you are welcome to steal fruits from the dining area! The location is convenient- as it is walking distance (10 mins) from the Rosebank mall which has really good stores and the amazing Grillhouse (and a hoard of other restaurants). Janine is a wonderful and warm host and makes sure that you are taken care of as soon as you land. She arranges pick-ups and drops and cabs and would gladly make a reservation for you. The staff is very helpful and the breakfast is super. I can't wait to go back! Thank you Janine xoxoxo

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2 which is the largest room, with a separate dressing area and a bathroom with a s...