“a lovely place for you to stay”
Review of Abigail's B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Johannesburg
Abigail's B & B
Ranked #181 of 300 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I has been stay with Abigail's B & B since my first time to south Africa in 2007 till now , I go every year , always stay here , the room is style, and stuff friendly trustful , home made jam is my favorite beautiful garden , and 2 friendly dogs not far from city zoo , base in a very nice area

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Cathu510
There are newer reviews for Abigail's B & B

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Stayed at Abigail's for 7 days and the enchanting garden, lovely, clean and spacious rooms with bathrooms and kitchens were a delight. Friendly, efficient staff who really provide a personal touch made me feel completely 'at home'. The charming decor and personal touches provide more than just a bed. It feels like home from home.
I can strongly recommend Abigail's. It is also close to major shopping centres and Zoo Lake with parks and lovely safe sunset walks. Alfred Rietmann (Artscape)

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Alfred Rietmann
Reviewed March 11, 2011

The minute we drove through the security gate to our parking near out entrance, you could tell that owner took pride in the establishment. The gardens are nicely laid out, the buildings are in good repair and once you get inside there are beautiful old collectables to feast your eyes on. The accommodation couldn't be more comfortable and is decorated with such taste. We had guests for coffee one evening who travel a lot and they could not believe the value. I could recommend Abigails B & B anytime.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hazel077
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I stayed at Abigails for 8 nights with my three adult children. The accommodations were quite uncomfortable, dirty, and cold. The bathroom had mold on the tiles; there was a thick layer of dust on all the window sills, and the rooms smelled musty and old. Although we had been assured that there were no cats (my children are allergic), there were pictures of cats on every wall (a kind of cat decorating motif) and one cat that had the run of the dining room. My daughter was very sick, and we had to go to the hospital for an allergy-related condition which cleared up when we left. The alleged queen-size sleeper couches were small pull out sleeping mats that were very uncomfortable. Abigails didn't provide top sheets for these mats. One window would not close --leaving a 3-inch gap for air and bugs to enter our quarters. Because the weather was very cold, this made the rooms uncomfortably cold all the time. We stuffed newspapers and towels in the window gap (which soiled the towels from the dust), but this was not sufficient to stop the flow of cold air. We had only one space heater that didn't solve the problem, and the owner neither fixed the window nor provided another heater. It was like camping, but at a far higher cost. The pool was extremely dirty and not suitable for swimming. The alleged internet was very expensive on pay per data usage basis. On the plus side, the neighborhood was nice, safe and conveniently located. The owner and staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Upon arrival I was asked if I would mind to stay in Moira and David's house as the other rooms were all occupied. Parking was across the street, but as it was just for one night I agreed. I was given the run down on keys and gates, and the owners left for a night out. When I returned at 11.30pm the neighbourhood was in darkness: I crossed the road and fumbled with all the keys in the dark, only to find the front door's safety lock was in place and I could not access the house! In the dark I tried to ring doorbells, knock on doors, and finally had to access the internet on my phone (don't know what I would've done without this!!) to get the telephone number to contact the owners. They told me they were leaving and would be home in 30 minutes. I spent the next hour-and-a-half in total darkness on the verandah! Exhausted after a stressful week and petrified and exposed in the dark. Moira and David were very apologetic and told my I was lucky that I could get in....! They offered me an apology, a R100 refund and the offer to return for free. They are missing the point - I could not access my room for a portion of the night; I was completely exposed and quite frankly did not get what I paid for. It is preposterous to think a mere apology (and sob story about how they were affected....) would do it. The R100 gesture was miserable and I won't be returning for the free night! On the gate there is only 1 star and not the 3 as listed on the web page!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank IrishAfricanmeisie
Reviewed August 10, 2009

This B and B was booked for us as part of a self drive tour. We found it easily, felt safe and secure. It is in a nice area where we felt safe to walk around. The rooms were clean, bright, spacious and comfortable. We actually had rooms at number 51 over the road. We were provided with a double room for the children, a double room for ourselves with a sitting room and we had full use of a well resourced kitchen. It is decorated in a very homely style and we felt as if we were staying in someone's house not a soulless hotel. The children loved the garden to run around in

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Lee67
Reviewed March 22, 2009

From the outset of booking with Abigails the owner was rude and I should never have booked this accommodation. Whilst the rooms suited our needs, there were many things about the accommodation that was clearly sub-standard, including doors that do not close or open properly (very difficult with babies), uncomfortable beds (one of the 2 single beds in my room was old and saggy, it nearly tipped me out when I slept in it), ants throughout the kitchen and in the bedroom, an under-provisioned kitchen in terms of implements, filthy pool, and a broken piece on the floor that was both a trip hazard and my son hurt his foot on it. This was not the worst though. We had problems with the plumbing to the point where there was an unbelievable high pitched noise and banging pipes throughout 2 whole nights of our time there. We attempted numerous times to raise this issue with the staff, however it took a number of visits by tradesmen, which further disturbed our stay, for the issue to be resolved. We were also without hot water a number of times. When we tried to address this issue on payment, the owners were rude and abusive, attempting in no way to compensate us for the terrible time we had, even saying that "this is Africa", as if we should expect poor service and sub-standard accommodation. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family