“Best student accommodation eveeeeeer!!!”
other traveler has booked this property
view from patio
view from bottom of garden koi pond
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
view from patio
view from bottom of garden
koi pond
swimming pool at night
entrance to Swanage
Leopard loft
a double bed room
dining room tables seat 16
kitchen view from scullery
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
drhousejr
Austria
“Best student accommodation eveeeeeer!!!”
Reviewed September 14, 2017 for a stay in July 2017

Swanage is absolutely the best accommodation a student can get in Johannesburg!!!
Unfortunately, I stayed somewhere else but thanks to some coincidences I had to do a lot with Swanage and the people there - if I had known Swanage before my booking at the other place, I definitely would have booked there! It doesn' matter at which hospital in or around Johannesburg you'll work - Swanage is always worth it! The house is great, you'll find everything you need there (+ a swimming pool:)))!) and Alan is such a kind man, it was an honour meeting him! He also shows you and the other students around, plans a lot of social events (like Fahrenheit-Mondays) and also takes u to an iiincredible safari if you want to! To sum it up, it was gorgeous and I can definitely recommend this place a 100%!!! Go there, you won't regret it!!!

Sep 17, 2017
Josh M
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Must be the best place to stay as an elective med student”
Reviewed August 18, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

Alan has created a perfect home away from home at Swanage. He welcomes you into his house gladly and is an excellent host. I stayed here while undertaking my elective at Baragwanath and found it to be perfect. Clean, comfortable and good facilities! Alan has plenty of local knowledge to help you make the most of your stay in South Africa. Wouldn't hesitate to return!

Your age range 18-24
Aug 22, 2017
Mustafa F
“Best place, look no further”
Reviewed June 22, 2017 for a stay in April 2017

If your looking for a place to stay during your medical elective, look no further. Swanage is hands down the best place to stay during elective. It is like a home away from home. You will probably be staying with other people on elective at your same hospitals so they will be able to show you the ropes and you can car pool to work together and save costs. Swanage is in the sweet spot where you get that community family feel but also have the independence to do your own thing when you want. Alan is the best thing about the Swanage experience he welcomes you into his house and makes you feel right at home and part of the Swanage family. With his local knowledge and 10 years of hosting students he will be able to help you with everything you need to get sorted. The area is really safe and has a local spar 100m from the house, so you wont go hungry. Also Alan being a part time ranger means he has a vast knowledge of the natural world and regularly​ organises all inclusive safaris for the Swanage guests, and others can join also, it is a must do if your staying with Alan and its by far the best deal out there you will not regret it and you'll come away with loads of great photos and memories. Like a said at the beginning look no further and be sure to book early because he is popular and I wouldn't want you to miss out on the Swanage experience.

Jun 26, 2017
Thank you Mustafa it was great having you stay.
c8u
London, United Kingdom
“Home away from home”
Reviewed June 18, 2017 for a stay in April 2017

Swanage is a great place that brings together elective students and Alan is amazing man - very warm and kind.
Sandringham is a really safe area and the neighbours are also extremely friendly - if you love dogs then all the better!

Jun 22, 2017
Paras W
“Alan and Swanage: a second home for sure”
Reviewed January 3, 2017 for a stay in January 2017

"Home away from home" is an expression that has been used by others before me but I feel like Swanage can not be better summarised. You have independence yet the security and care of a family. Dr Alan Peter goes over and beyond what may be expected from a landlord and treats us like his family. Once you live at this home Swanage, you permanently become one of the "swans" and are always welcomed with both arms home. The home is safe, secure and has all amenities including almost every appliance or backup supply you can think of. It has a lovely pool, garden. And of course Dr Alan Peter loves to entertain and ensure we have an enjoyable experience. He has an incredible personality, which make the Swanage dinners, the braai parties, and the personalised safaris awesome experiences. And he loves a good friendly banter with us! ;-) I feel like I may be repeating what's written on his website so check it out for more details. I did my elective at Bara for 5 weeks. Until I got my car, Alan gave me a lift whenever our timings overlapped. We prepared meals together and he organised a number of lunch/dinners to which all our friends (even those not living at Swanage) were invited. Alan has all the insider knowledge and readily and happily shares it whenever you need and ask. I had a really fun safari with Alan and our safari group from December 2016. Thanks all! Alan also allowed my brother to stay with us and helped my bro and I organise the best spots for our own Kruger safari. My room was my room during my time with Alan; even though it's his house, I felt like we all 'house shared' with Alan rather than 'rented' from him per se. I don't know what more to say really. Thank you Alan and the other students of Dec 2016 for being the best host family. Swanage was perfect place to unwind and feel safe after travel or shifts at the hospital. I hope others get in quick and take advantage of their stay at Swanage.

Jan 4, 2017
Thank you Manshu as you journey back to New Zealand
Hari J
Greater London, United Kingdom
“More than just accommodation - it's an experience”
Reviewed September 25, 2016 for a stay in June 2016

I had an absolutely great time at Swanage. Along with my elective experience at Baragwanath and Bheki Mlangeni, the experience of living at Swanage with Alan and the other students will stay with me. Alan made me feel so welcome and importantly I felt extremely safe - something which was initially a concern for someone going to Johannesburg for the first time with some fairly unfounded preconceptions. Living at Swanage also meant that I was able to join in with Swanage activities like cooking dinner together, going to Alan's friends' house for dinner, going on safari and a whole host of other things. As mentioned all of these experiences will be treasured and I wholeheartedly recommend any elective student to stay here!

Traveling group: Solo Traveler
Sep 25, 2016
Kumaran18
London, United Kingdom
“Couldn't have wished for more...”
Reviewed July 23, 2016 for a stay in May 2014

I arrived to Johannesburg to take elective at Bara. Warned of the notoriety and violence by friends and family ahead of my arrival, I found South Africa to be very hospitable. What made it for me was Swanage. In the safe haven of Sandringham, Swanage is a great place to stay with great amenities (Pool, TV, Internet, Dishwasher, Laundry, BBQ, Piano, Koi Pond!), places to travel and eat nearby. However, what sets Swanage apart, is the laughter and satisfaction of excellent company there. I can recommend it without hesitation. Thanks Alan.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: Solo Traveler
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Jul 24, 2016
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing