“Nice Place To Meet Friends For Drinks”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Griffin

The Griffin
Ranked #6 of 9 Restaurants in Illovo
Cuisines: Bar, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Johannesburg
“Nice Place To Meet Friends For Drinks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

I went to the Griffin with my wife for lunch on a Friday.

I loved it , especially the craft beers. My wife also loved the atmosphere. It was vibey and nice. The crowd was picking up for lunch and there was big crown in one table , probably having an office party.

The food was enjoyable. I had the Griffin Gourmet burgers and my wife had the Mexican platter. The burger was very nice and the platter , for the price we paid , there was not a lot on the plate. The service was outstanding , they were very attentive and on point.

The Griffin is a great place to meet friends for drinks and bite to eat. Nothing serious , just something informal. I will most definitely go back

• Visited January 2014

“Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We went for a Sunday Lunch as I understand it is quite busy after working hours. What a lovely experience! The reason for going there was their selection of craft beers. Hubby is an avid brewer and always enjoy tasting craft beers. What a surprise. The food was FABULOUS - the kids had burgers, I had the lamb flatbread and my husband the Sunday Roast. They also have a good selection of cocktails.

• Visited May 2014
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

We patroned this gastropub as a group. Reservations need to be made quite in advance.
The decor simple but funky and modern with wooden tables and chairs. The place is extremely vibey and there is a buzz in the air. Great atmosphere!
They have a large selection of craft beers and cocktails on offer.
The food was fantastic-of special note was the squid starter and the crab linguine....absolutely delicious!
Hightly recommended for a fun night out!

• Visited February 2014
Johannesburg
“Unexpectedly Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

I have passed The Griffin a number of times and considered it more as a trendy watering-hole than place to dine. When one of our party suggested we have dinner there I was sceptical. After a couple of slightly too-sweet cocktails, we ordered the crab linguine and the lamb flatbread. I have to say that the crab pasta was one of the most memorable and delicious dishes i have EVER eaten. The lamb flatbread was equally as delicious although one of the diners was a little disappointed that the "bread" was very thin and crisp and not very substantial. I thought it was glorious. I will definitely be back!

• Visited December 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Awesome place to meet people and have a great night out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Having enjoyed an evening out with the lads at the whiskey tasting festival in Sandton, I managed to convince everyone to head to The Griffin afterwards.

With options to meet your preferences, it really is a great place to hang out and have a few drinks; you can mill-around at the down-stairs bar, or head up-stairs to the main bar / restaurant, and hang out on the balcony and watch the world go by.

With a decent selection of wine and craft beers, which I prefer, you'll soon be enjoying your drink in good company, the best Jozi has to offer.

The finger-foods are great in complimenting the beers, which although a little pricey, are worth spending the extra "Nelson's" on.

I've been there many times, each as enjoyable as the next, the vibe never disappoints and the food is amazing!

If you're looking to have a great night out while in Jozi, this is a place that you should definitely visit. They're closed on Mondays, but open the balance of the week; Friday evenings after works are best!

• Visited October 2013