Protea Hotel Johannesburg Wanderers
Don Sandton I(Sandton)
  • Restaurant
Premiere Classe Suites(Johannesburg)
  • Pool
The Capital on Bath(Johannesburg)
Monarch Hotel(Johannesburg)
View Hotel
All reviewsnice hotelmelrose archroom servicean applecape townbusiness hotelcricket stadiumreception stafffree shuttlecomfortable roomssouth africaenjoyed my stayrosebank mallwanderersjohannesburgclubprotea
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Having stayed here on over 50 occasions in past years, I returned after some 3 years recently when business circumstances allowed. And not much has changed. The front office team were welcoming, the restaurant staff friendly, and the room spotless. And the red apples are as crunchy as juicy as ever!! And it is close to Sandton, where the restaurant night life offers plenty of choice.

We ate dinner in the restaurant, which was somewhat disappointing as some choices were unavailable and we only discovered this after placing our orders. The breakfast though is the complete buffet. A bad sleeper, the bed was a pleasure (and one of the reasons I had stayed so often in the past). My only gripe is that internet access is frustratingly so - either on wifi or when using one's own device. Being on business this was a problem.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Wanderers club - much quieter
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Carolyn J, General Manager at Protea Hotel Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear KevS7,

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at the Protea Hotel Wanderers again.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure whether or not we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS' expectations. We need to know when we have done right, but more importantly, when we have done wrong!
Please accept my apologies for your dinner experience and frustration with the Wi-Fi.

I am however pleased to hear that the services you remembered from previous stays, the welcoming front office TEAM, friendly restaurant STAFF and of course our crunchy juicy apples, all lived up to your expectations.

We thank you for your loyalty and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Unfortunately stayed here whilst on Business in Joburg. The rooms are very plain, boring and moody. The food was OK.
When I arrived at the hotel, I mentioned that my business had a agreed corporate rate with the hotel. The manager confirmed this, however she mentioned that they needed an email clarification from my PA to confirm I worked for my company to receive the discount. My PA emailed the hotel manager on my 7th day at the hotel, which I thought would suffice. When checking out of the hotel on day 20. I checked the bill to find that the discount was added only after they received the email. Meaning they charge me full rates for 7 days. So, The hotel charged me full scale rates for the 1st 7 days, saying they could not grant the coporate rate on these days. Utterly ridiculous. I tried to reason with the manager on duty, but to no avail. They have lost a lot of business. My team are currently working on a large engagement for 5 months staying in another joburg hotel. Lastly, I booked the hotel limousine to bring me to tampo airport, booked it for 3pm. When I arrived on time at reception. I was told my car was given to another guest and car would be back in 25 mins....do the maths.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Carolyn J, General Manager at Protea Hotel Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear andrew p,

Thank you for post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us. Sadly it seems that the TEAM and the outsourced transport company have not delivered the level of service that we are usually proud to offer to our GUESTS.
On behalf myself and my TEAM, please accept my sincere apologies for your service experience.
I would personally like to investigate your matter and have sent you a direct email. I hope you will afford me the opportunity to rectify any shortcomings.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies.

Carolyn Jones
GENERAL MANAGER

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Staying here for 6 nights on business and medical tourism! Very reasonably priced - in stark comparison to many of the properties around it. Food VERY good - well prepared, well presented and ludicrously cheap by European standards. Close to everywhere but pretty quiet. All staff good - some exceptional. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear JBPKabale,

Thank you for your terrific review of our hotel!

I can’t wait to share your comments with the rest of the APPLE TEAM.
Thank you for your kind words!

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Wanderers.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

This hotel will remain my hotel of choice when on business in Johannesburg. The hotel is conveniently situated to great entertainment areas, good shopping and close to most attractions. The rooms are well appointed, good air-conditioning, and decent bathrooms. The restaurant serves great South African food at reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Wanderers Club so as to enjoy the view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank GusBehn
Carolyn J, General Manager at Protea Hotel Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Dear GusBehn,

As a loyal GUEST of the Protea Hotel Wanderers, we are delighted to receive your review.

You are spot on when referring to the unique location of our hotel. We are only minutes away from the business hubs, Sandton, Rosebank and the Melrose Arch Precinct as well as the local attractions.

We are continuously striving for excellence and it is great that we achieved this on your visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Johannesburg!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Good value hotel, nice and clean.
Staff friendly and efficient, could teach the African pride melrose a thing or two.
Would definitely return.

Only gripe is it was cheaper for me to book through yeego(uk company) than online at protea site even with procard.

Not really reward local loyals are you protea?

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear kinetic46,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review here on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that you found the TEAM friendly and efficient. And our services and offerings good value for money.

I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly at gm@phwanderers.co.za as I would like to look into the matter regarding the rate.

We hope to have the pleasure in hosting you again soon!