“ok accommodation shame about the interruptions”

City Lodge Hotel Johannesburg Airport - Barbara Road
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Edenvale
Brisbane, Australia
“ok accommodation shame about the interruptions”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Hi, my husband and I stayed here for one night before our return flight home. On arrive at midnight staff were great and we got into our room and all was good. Unfortunately however that is where it ended. We were interrupted more than 4 times in our overnight stay by staff asking us when we were leaving. We had the room booked from our midnight check in until 6pm the next day and confirmed this on check in. During the knocks on the door we continued to explain that we have booked and paid for the room until 6pm. We even had advised the front desk of the interruptions but it still continued. On one occasion one of the staff entered our room without knocking - totally inappropriate. When we advised managment all they could say was 'sorry'. Maybe reimbursement might have made up for the constant interruption to our sleep. We booked the room for the extended time as we had a long overnight flight to face and knowing we don't sleep on planes well wanted to rest. So much for that. On a positive the breakfast which we managed to go to becasue of one of the many interruptions was excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 62Cath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

This place is really beautiful and way cheaper than Inter Continental, I can't believe it has so many bad reviews.
Pros: A lot cheaper than IC, very comfortable and stylish.
Cons: The customer service is extremely bad. They intentionally hung up on us when we were asking about wi-fi and it literally took 5 calls to their main number at different times if the day to have anyone answer the phone.

In short: good architects and builders. Bad management.

Tips: Try to get information at the front desk.

• Stayed October 2012
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I had a number of layovers in Joburg during our honeymoon in Africa, so we were a bit nervous going here based on some of the reviews. However, each time we returned to this hotel, we had a pleasant experience. The rooms were clean and comfortable enough and being able to walk to the airport was an added bonus. It's not a 5 star hotel but it gave us the rest we needed after long flights. The breakfast was very good with lots of options and we even had dinner there one night which was just fine. If you've got a layover in Joburg, you won't make a mistake staying at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mdnp v
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Johannesburg Airport - Barbara Road, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Many thanks for your comments. We are very glad that you enjoyed staying at out hotel and found it convenient and offering good facilities and services. We also hope you had a great honeymoon in Africa.
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I arrived at the hotel about 21:40 on a Friday evening, after a 10 hour day flight from Amsterdam. Having checked in I went to the bar/restaurant to grab a beer and some food, but the kitchen was already closed, and the bar stopped serving drinks at 22:45. People kept arriving looking for a sandwich and drink, but no chance.

Next morning, got down for breakfast around 10:15 - surprise, surprise, breakfast was finished.

Given this is an airport hotel, directly connected to the terminal, the idea that people arriving on late flights cannot get basic services, is astonishing. They have a captive market of early/late travelers, but they simply do not care.

The one good point was the bed was very comfortable, and the shower was great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank paddymanning
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Johannesburg Airport - Barbara Road, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your constructive comments. Our coffee shop is open unil 22h00 and our bar service until 23h00. We will look into these operating hours to see if they should be amended. We are glad that you found your bed comfortable and enjoyed your shower - but we would like you to approve of your overall experience (including coffee shop bar service and breakfast timing) so we will be looking into these issues to see if some "tweaking" is needed. Thank you again for your review.

Travelers are raving about these Edenvale hotels

Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I spent one night at the City Lodge in Johannesburg while I was on transit, and I have to say I was very dissapointed. On the positive side, the hotel is inside the airport, which is very convenient, and the rooms are nice and big. Having said that, I have no intention whatsoever to return to this hotel. Why? I you take a look to my other reviews, you will see how much I value service and small nice details in the relation between a hotel and a guest. Well, in the City Lodge the details were horrible. To begin with, I waited for more than 25 minutes to do the check-in. When you have spent the day travelling, that's way too much. More importantlly, the whole front-desk area was a bit chaotic and messy. After 25 minutes, I got a room. To my surprise, when I inserted the card and entered in the room, I found out another person inside! They didn't even know which room was occupied and which wasn't. Terrible. Another 10 minutes to get other room. Luckily, this one was empty.

The other very ugly detail is that they don't have free wi-fi - I had to pay 145 Rands for four hours. It's not the price what bothers me but the fact that 90% of hotels in the world now offer free wi-fi as an extra service to their clients. The fact that this hotel charges for it means to me that they see the guest as a cow that has to be milked.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CityLodgeJHB, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Johannesburg Airport - Barbara Road, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are naturally disappointed that you did not enjoy your say as much as we would like you to have. Your comments are valuable and we will be looking into these matters to see where improvements can be made. Please accept our apology for your long wait at reception and being given a room that was already occupied.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Had an overnight stop here on our way to Rwanda. It was a very easy and convenient place to stay, went and ate dinner in the airport which was handy. No complaints - standard airport hotel. If you just need an overnight stop then this place is ideal.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LKK01
CityLodgeJHB, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Johannesburg Airport - Barbara Road, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Many thanks for your posting on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you again soon as a guest at this hotel or one of the other hotels in our group.
Sydney
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I found from TripAdvisor bloggers that the City Lodge OR Tambo Airport would be the best place to stay the night in transit through Johannesburg Airport (en route from Australia to Rwanda). I had some trouble booking on-line, as they do not seem to be on the main booking services such as Expedia or Booking.com. A service called i-Res came up. I booked. My credit card was charged the full room rate, but I received no confirmation. This was May, for a stay in October. I could find no "contact us" e-mail address on the iRes site. I searched some more and found the hotel itself. They had received the request from the company behind iRes, but despite my requests have not confirmed that the rooms are booked and paid for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Tosca08
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edenvale
City Lodge Hotel OR Tambo Airport
#43 of 68 in Johannesburg
Road Lodge Johannesburg International Airport
InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport
Protea Hotel by Marriott OR Tambo Airport

Been to City Lodge Hotel Johannesburg Airport - Barbara Road? Share your experiences!