Holiday Inn Johannesburg Airport
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$90
$102
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsfree shuttleclose to the airportjohannesburg airportconvenient hotelbit datedplanes flyshuttle servicesmall poolbuffet breakfaststayed here for one nightlate checknice breakfastshort staybetween flightseast rand mallwi figym
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had a straight 'airport' stay so a late arrival and an early departure. Rooms were good, clean and well equipped and staff were polite. However, 10 minutes from the airport - maybe at 3AM but not in the shuttle service advertised on the Hotel Fact Sheet as it doesn't run out of hourse, sort of understandable but we had an internal flight to catch at 0630.When I asked about the alternatives, the receptionist beckoned an individual over who provided the out of hours service but in what appeared to be a private car on behalf of 'Standby Shuttle Service'. 300 RAND for 8 km. Time precluded me making any other arrangement but jsut be aware of this when you book.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed here in April for one night because we had an early flight and didn't want to get up in the middle of the night to catch our flight from our safari lodge.

When you first arrive...or when you look at pictures...you might think this place looks nice...but look more closely and you will be disgusted. The reason I gave this hotel a "terrible" rating is because it fooled my friends and I so shamelessly into thinking we were staying somewhere "Grand" when in fact there was nothing "Grand" about it.

The bad:
- Elevator only went part-way up to our rooms...then you have to carry your luggage up/down stairs to get the rest of the way!

- Rooms are cramped

- We arrived and inspected our bed sheets (as I always do) and found not only HAIRS but BLOOD stains on our sheets!!! They had not been changed!!!

- We called to have our sheets changed while we went out for dinner...came back and we had new sheets...which ALSO had HAIR and older BLOOD stains on them!!!!!

- Inspected the "Grand" bathroom...and found MOULD, HAIRS, and DIRT in and around the bathtub, sink and shower

- The toilet barely flushed and always took multiple tries to get it to finish flushing

- Airplane noise - I am not a light sleeper, and even I was disturbed by it, my friend was awoken several times (in 1 night!)

- My credit card put a hold on my card and the front desk was NOT helpful!! They wouldn't let me use their phone AND they wouldn't even HELP me to figure out how to use their weird/foreign payphones!!

- You have to get the Internet password from the front desk - and their internet computers are VERY VERY slow

Other than that....I can say that the breakfast wasn't bad....but I didn't have much to eat other than fruit and pastries

Don't stay here! (Unless you want to do like I did and sleep covered in clothing HEAD TO TOE and shower wearing shoes for fear of catching some fungus or disease)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We checked in at around 10 pm after a long flight from Amsterdam.
After checking in, I went back to the reception to find out if a restuarant was open. The lady in the front office, whilst referring me to the room service, was un friendly and abrupt in her response. As I walked away, she said something like, " Next time I am not going to be so friendly" very loudly. I was taken aback. I was not sure whether she referred to me or not. Either way, it's not acceptable. I felt uneasy and retired to my room. I was even shy to report that Room 346 phone does not ring when called. I was saddened by my experience. Will I return to this hotel? I don't think so.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kris M
Reviewed June 22, 2012

True enough the property is beginning to show it's age, but it is clean and well maintained. The room was somewhat small like most non-five star's outside of the US. The staff took care of my every request. The breakfast was buffet had a nice variety. There is a full service grocery only two blocks straight out the front gate accompanied by a McDonalds. The shuttle only runs once every hour. Watch out for the AGRESSIVE airport porters, they took my rolling suitcase out of my hand and wanted a tip for rolling it 20 feet.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We had an overnight booking at the Airport Grand but arrived off a crack of dawn flight from Australia and so to the Hotel well before check in time.
They had no free rooms but managed to provide one, duly serviced, for us by 8.00 a m, in the meantime offering complimentary coffees to assist in passing the time. For cold and tired Travellers this was just so very nice. For helpful, pleasant, smiling Management and Staff, I have no hesitation in giving 5 stars.

The hotel is undergoing some refurbishment of the bedrooms and bathrooms at present, so does not really live up to it's 4 star rating in those areas. The breakfast was excellent in content but the food was not sufficiently hot. I reported this and received immediate confirmation that it would be attended to. I can, however, recommend the Toasted Sandwiches!

I would also add that we were not charged extra for early entry to the Room nor were we charged extra for remaining in situ until 12.00 next day (this is by prior arrangement) when check out time is 10.00.

The Policies of the Hotel are good, the Staff are brilliant, the accommodation rather lets the Grand down.

Room Tip: If you want to rest during the day request a room away from the main road
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo