All reviewsconference venuereception areaconference facilitieshourly shuttlethe grilleast rand mallclose to the airporttambo airportexcellent serviceevery hourenjoyed my stayshopping mallshuttle servicecartsgolfvenuesaccommodation
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Many thanks to Natalia, Liesel and the Birchwood staff for helping to make my daughter's wedding a wonderful event. The entire event was planned in under a month, and we could not have pulled it off without the efficiency of the Birchwood team. The venue was lovely, the food was superb and the staff friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear MichelleBotha,

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that your "special day" was as you hope it would be! We will pass on all the feedback to the staff involved.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I need to consider to go to another near by Hotel.. I cant stand this kind of very very slow service out there..
My schedule:
Arrival, check in in 30-40 minutes, room's safe is not working, it took them hours to "try" to fix it with no solution, I changed the room, it took me another long time to do that, every time I ask for any thing it takes at least 30mins - 1 hour to be sent to my room.. I had 7 breakfasts and it was not there in my bill and because I am honest I paid for them.. LOL I reminded them about the breakfast.. at last I did the longest check out ever and I was late for my flight !

ye Birchwood.. I think I will change my accommodation next time.. Sorry but you forced me.. it was your second chance and you ruined it from my point of view..!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Ehab_Ghoneimy,

Firstly, thank you for deciding to make use of us again.

On behalf of the Birchwood Management, I would like to sincerely apologise for what certainly, was nothing short of an unnacceptable experience with us. I can assure that we will be addressing all relevant parties involved regarding your complaints.

I would like to offer you my email address once again, in order that we can determine how future occurances will be prevented during your stay and how we can possibly assist in changing our image in your mind as this is not the Birchwood standard set and far beneath it.

Email: gregh@birchwoodhotel.co.za

I sincerely hope to hear from you and once again, sincerely apologise for the lack of service delivery from us.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

The largest motel I have ever been to. 2000 rooms or so. Very spread out. Stayed there for 4 nights without a car but I don’t mid walking and it wasn’t raining.
Room is very basic but clean. Bathroom could have been better but arranged.
Breakfast is fine for my standards. There are a couple of restaurants just outside the gates. The Flyers, I think, is unique by its commercial aviation atmosphere and 747 cockpit. Strongly recommend to visit.
Be mindful of wildlife… I discovered a 4” long cricket (or whatever it was) in my shoe while slipping my foot into it… Got me pretty scared till I realized that this is not a tarantula or something of that nature…

Room Tip: If you don't have a car pick a room closer to one of the entrances
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Max L,

We have reviewed your feedback and would like express our disappointment that your experience failed to meet your expectations.

We certainly aim to provide more than "basic" services and do our utmost to ensure that our breakfast is more than "fine". Birchwood strives to maintain a level of service quality that aims to exceed expectations and we hope that we can welcome you back with us in order that we can do so in the near future. We will be addressing the insect in your room with our housekeeping department as this is an extremely rare for us.

We hope that our porter service who are able to transport guests over the 665 room property on golf carts were made available to you as we sincerely do not expect all delegates to have their own transport at all. Should this not have been the case, then we sincerely apologise for this.

You are welcome to inform me, should there be any further feedback you would like to provide us with or simply to elaborate on comments already made.

We hope to hear from you.

Email: gregh@birchwoodhotel.co.za.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

A very basic airport hotel. The rooms were average, but comfortable after a long flight. Located in a very isolated area. Have the staff check your heater before you send them away.The shuttle service and golf cart service was very prompt and useful. If you are arriving after 10 p.m. check with the hotel about shuttle timings in advance.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Queenoftimepass,

We are concerned to hear that your overall perception of our property was "average". The Birchwood continually strives to maintain a level of service quality that not only meets expectations, but exceeds them.

Being in such close proximity to OR Tambo International Airport, we naturally to accommodate many guests who have arrived and been transported to our hotel from there. Overall, the standard of our rooms has been felt to be of a high quality and met the needs of the guests within them. We would like to kindly request that you inform as to where we did not meet your expectations in order that we can ensure that our services can be improved.

We will be addressing the problem with the accommodation room heater internally and thank you for advising us on that.

You are welcome and encouraged, to email me to elaborate on how we did not meet your expectations and I sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

Greg Hoffmann
Email: gregh@birchwoodhotel.co.za

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights for a conference that was held at the same venue.

The room was basic, but acceptable. Beds were OK, bathroom just about fine although the sink did not drain away. Shower was a little weak. There is a fridge in the room, but nothing in it and no obvious place to buy refreshments (even water)- after a long overnight flight it would have been nice to have some refreshment in the room.

Room was VERY noisy, due to the windows being as thin as paper and ill fitting. Plane noise was constant from very early in the morning, and staff going about their duties were very noisy (doors slamming, dragging things along the floor etc). At one point, the handyman was using an angle grinder outside my room- not ideal after an overnight flight on which you don't sleep.

Nothing was really explained on check-in, and it took a while to find anywhere serving food. No room service is available, and we arrived the day before the conference started so could not join the buffet lunch, so had to eat at the café at reception but I recall there was a problem with payment (I think I wasn't allowed to put the cost of lunch on the room tab).

Grounds were nice, but not a great deal to see. Conference facilities were very good, including refreshments.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Lee,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are very sad to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations.

Regarding your problems in the accommodation room itself, we will certainly be addressing these with the relevant housekeeping and maintenance staff to determine why these issues took place. There is simply no excuse for these problems to have occured and we apologise sincerely for any inconveniences experienced. This too applies for the noise levels around the room.

We also apologise for the lack of information given to you at our reception desk. Standard procedure is to educate all guests on arrival as to available facilities and the location of their accommodation room. Regarding room service and the purchasing of refreshments, we will be investigating why this was not available during your stay as our Tazza Caffe (next to our main reception) offers both these services to all guests. Thank you for informing us.

We are pleased that you enjoyed our conferencing facilities. The Birchwood Management sincerely hopes that we can welcome you back to the property soon in order that we can change your perception of our hotel and not simply meet, but exceed your expectations in the near future.