All reviewsconference venuereception areaconference facilitieshourly shuttlethe grilleast rand mallclose to the airporttambo airportexcellent serviceevery hourenjoyed my stayshopping mallshuttle servicecartsgolfvenuesaccommodation
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I spent 5 nights there and regretted staying there. The room was clean and food was good but, apart from that, everything was poor. Firstly, there were 6 of us waiting for the famous shuttle promised to us. It came after more than 90 minutes. When we protested, we were told very rudely by one officer that the fault was ours. Anyway, the hotel has no porter to unload your lugguage, so if there is a lady or an elderly person, he or she must rely on a samaritan to unload the lugguage from the van. Nevertheless, the checking was smooth, but then came the next surprise. We were left to find our room by ourselves. The shuttle did take us close to our room, but left after we had alighted .So I had to enter the room on my room, look for everything, such as how the AC works, where to put the lugguage etc. And mind you if you are thirsty after this ordeal, you have yourself to blame because thr room has no bottle water. Call the reception for the shuttle to come back to pick you up, it will not come, so take courage and walk there to buy yourself a bottle of waterThe worse, however, was yet to come. The next day,there was a Science exhibition and a crowd of 900 kids poured there. They stayed there for 3 days. The hotel, if you can still it so, became a secondary school campus, with kids running about everywhere, yelling at each other, knocking at doors or even making phone calls anytime at night. The quiet place I was looking for quickly turned into a noisy campus for small kids. Other problems: our breakfast venue changed thrice, probably to give way to the kids. One day, I saw a lone traveller with his luggage trying to find his room and knowing only a few English words. Another time ,two ladies who went to the nearby mall waited for 2 hours for the free shuttle. However, the Manager responded to this complaint promptly. Finally , one advice. Do not wait for the last minute to book your shuttle to the airport. You will miss your flight. The hotel is huge, but has only one or two shuttles to the airport.
In short, it simply does not have the resources to cater for so many people, which makes it a low level hotel from international standards Good luck if you still have to stay there!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the reception since you would wait for ages to be picked
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Foondun R
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I had booked a training conference for 30 delegates, most of whom where from overseas and hence needed airport pickups and accommodation.
The ease of booking was really something, normally conference organisers are on at you every day asking menial questions (what type of biscuits do you want!). At the Birchwood, I asked for a standard package, rooms, conference, coffee, lunch, coffee, evening dinner - all on one main bill with extras for the delegates themselves.
It was done, quickly, efficiently and mostly correct as well. What a pleasure.
Airport pick ups where on time and the directions given to access the shuttle bus were spot on - everybody arrived on time!
Conferencing is obviously the main business and this is where they do very well. Even the buffet food was of an acceptable standard, and with the option of a good on site restaurant, dining was a pleasure. Breakfast was plentiful and fresh, lunch had a good variety and offered our Halaal guests something to eat as well. Dinner was either at a satisfactory buffet or the steak restaurant - excellent!
The rooms are a bit old and the heating / cooling is a bit inefficient, but otherwise it is of a good standard. Facilities (tea/coffee/ shampoo etc) were adequate and cleanliness was good. If you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs as the flight path is almost overhead. Check out was also painless and moving around is easy by golf buggy.
Overall this sets a very high standard for conferencing and the accommodation, whilst not superior, is perfectly adequate.

Room Tip: If on conference, choose one close to the conference centre
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank bizfish
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Easy accessible,rooms are more beatiful than the ones on their site.
Walking area is beautiful with flowers and the grass. Staff was wonderful.
Food was exellent and the is a mall closeby if u want to shop and shuttle is free. U can always be picked up from your room if u are lazy to walk and most importantly you have your privacy.
I definitely would stay there again if I have and would recommend to anybody to check it out.
Loved it.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I'm writing this from my room on the campus and this is very much a campus conference centre and it is huge. To call it a hotel is a misnomer...plenty of people stay here as if it were a hotel but it lacks the real qualties of a genuine hotel.

The centre is only 15 minutes from Jo'burg airport which makes it very handy and that's a major plus point.

When you arrive and check in, you are given your room number and you have to wait outside for a golf cart to take you to your room which can be several hundred metres away. it's not practical to walk especially with suitcases but sadly there aren't enough carts and if you check in at a busy time it can be a bit of a scrum which is not what you want after a long flight.

This rooms are clean and bright with internet connections and satellite TV so no complaints there. That, though is about my only plus point.

Breakfast is in a room a long way away by cart. I walked to the Grill Restaurant last night and got lost. As I said this place is huge. At least I did better than a colleague who had room service because he couldn't be bothered to find the buffet which believe it or not is in a different location every night. It's hunt the buffet if you want to try that sort of dining.

I've been here 3 days and still haven't found a bar. I don't think one exists which makes it unique in all my hotel experience. Maybe there is a bar but I think you'd probably need GPS to find it.

I'm here to run a training course and the training rooms are fine but there's no popping back to your room if you forget something...it's just too far away.

As a business venue this place is designed for large conferences...450 bedrooms...and individual guests tend to get a bit lost in the shake up. So my advice is...if you want to stay over at Jo'burg airport then this might be the place for you but be aware of it's huge acreage and don't expect a regular hotel.

This place is indeed unique...but that might not necessarily be a good thing. The old virtues of a bar, restaurant and lounge all on the premesis is a tried and tested formula...and if you find a lounge here do let me know...I'm still looking.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Tom B
Reviewed July 5, 2011

The hotel is located in a remote area of town. I was staying here because of a flight delay. I was glad to know they had internet. Although it was not wireless it did cost a lot R150 for 24hr access. The window was open to the room so it was freezing when I got in there. the heater did not even do justice after running it for a couple of hours. I went ahead and stripped the other bed so i can have two bed covers but it was still ice cold. The remote for the tv did not work after five feet, so dont even think about laying down and changing channels. When I woke up in the morning I had to run the water for 45 minutes before getting warm not hot but warm water. The breakfast was really good but the hotel room does not make up for that

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business