“Excellent Stay”

Outlook Lodge Lakefield
Ranked #1 of 40 Benoni B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 18, 2010

We chose Outlook Lodge because of the proximity to the airport. Secondly because they had Kruger Safari Tours that left from the Lodge. The Lodge is in a great location with lovely grounds. Our room was very spacious with nice outlook over an adjacent golf course. We received a wonderful welcome from Kate the Manager. She did everything she could to make our stay enjoyable, including arranging a tour of Johannesberg and Soweto and making reservations for dinner at a local restaurant.
We would recommend Outlook Lodge to anyone looking for a homely, comfortable stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 60plustravellers

Reviewed January 17, 2010

If you are planning to stay over for a few nights before going on Safari at Kruger, want a great hotel near the airport, then make sure you book into the Outlook Lodge. I'm sure you wont find many better places to stay in the area.
The lodge only has a few rooms, and is small enough for you to be treated well, but big enough to make sure you are well looked after, with attentive staff, breakfasts cooked to order, very comfortable rooms, and a lovely pool.
The hotel arrangs free transfers to local restaurants for evening meals, and arrange to pick you uo later as well, what more can they do?
Will definitley book their again if I'm lucky enough to go on another safari trip to South Africa and would recommend to anyone wanting to stay outside the centre of Johannasburg

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank searsrp66
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We stayed for one night in transit. The hotel (B&B) does not look anything like it's website. The price quoted was per person not per room (although not stated when booked), so it was very over priced for the quality of room and breakfast. My advice - stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank UK-TouristUK
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We stayed at Outlook Lodge for three nights in August while we travelled to Kruger on a safari (arranged through Outlook) and to Victoria Falls. The lodge is in a large house in an upscale gated neighborhhod in Benoni, on the airport side of J'Burg. The location is quiet and very convenient for getting into and out of town.

The rooms are decent and while we were there they were in the process of installing new carpeting. The only two complaints about the room itself was that the showerhead was on a hose and did not fit correctly into it's "holder" so you could not use it as a regular showerhead, and the sink faucet was very loose. Otherwise the room was nice. Quite a bit of sound does travel between rooms so light sleepers may have difficulty.

The staff was very available and willing to arrange anything needed, even rides to restaurants or calls for food delivery. Two problems did occur. Upon arrival to the airport no one was there to pick us up - the explanation was that another couple had arrived early and they thought our flight was late, although we found out later that the couple had been on our plane. We had also booked a safari, but somehow they had not actually scheduled it for us. They did work hard to make sure one was arranged that night, but it does make one question whether their level or organization matches their level of service.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank joelestra
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I had an overnight in Jo'burg before continuing onward, and was looking for lodging that was close to the airport (but not ON airport). Outlook Lodge was great - I was picked up at international arrivals by driver, we were able to stop at an ATM outside of the airport; they offered to get take-away food for me that evening (but I just went to bed).
Room was huge, comfy, and so welcoming! Had a separate bath and shower area that could've hosted a square dance; as well as a sitting room in addition to the big bed.
Breakfast the next morning was so tasty - I can't remember having a better breakfast of eggs, mushroom, tomato, and bacon, as well as yogurt and fresh meat/cheeses. They were very accommodating to all requests.
Free use of their internet for 15 mins; longer incurs a fee of R30 per 1/2 hr.
Francois and staff were wonderful - definitely recommend!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank marymcd
Reviewed August 2, 2009

I picked this because it looked quaint and I needed a night to rest before catching my morning flight for my Safari. After 24 hours of flights, I was hopeful but a bit nervous. Upon arrival at the Lodge, I knew I made a perfect choice. The manicured beauty of the gardens, the home feel and the welcoming of Robert was a gift for a weary traveler. I was immediately welcomed and even though it was after his evening pick-up of local cuisine, he made sure I could order what I wanted. I learned they he provided a complimentary pick-up from the airport which would have been greatly appreciated as finding a cabbie at a rate I felt comfortable was awkward.

The rooms were perfect - each unique, clean and unpretentious. After a long soak in the deep tub, I had a great nights rest. Robert personally drove me to the small plane terminal and made sure I was checked in properly before departing. Here I learned that he is a wildlife expert and will lead a trip to Kruger if requested. I plan to return next year and he will be my guide. The grounds impeccable, the service amazing for small estate based inn. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank dolphinNC17
Reviewed May 6, 2009

We debated staying at the Intercontinental at the airport or here...the 1st night we had to spend near the JNB airport we stayed at the Outlook...nice looking house from the exterior but the rooms are quite drab and the bathroom was very dated. We dealt with it given the hour and the early flight we had in the morning. The night before returning to the US, we stayed at the Intercontinental and loved it. As other posters have said, the IC is your only choice.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TonyPSP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benoni
Outlook Lodge - O.R Tambo
Summer Garden Guest House
Lakeview Boutique Hotel & Conference Center
The Lakes Hotel and Conference Center
aha-Kopanong Hotel and Conference Centre

Been to Outlook Lodge Lakefield? Share your experiences!