“Like being in a Great Home”

Outlook Lodge Lakefield
Ranked #1 of 39 Benoni B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I booked 3 rooms at the Outlook Lodge for an overnight stay before flying to Cape Town. The lobby is amazing with big, comfortable leather couches and plenty of photo books of Africa. My guests and I could have spent hours in the lobby. The lobby also had free WiFi. Rooms were very nice and clean; however, there are only a few power outlets available for charging the computer, phone, etc. A short drive (but beyond walking distance) from the lodge are several good restaurant choices. The lodge was just 10 minutes from OR Tambo and in a quiet residential area. I exchanged several emails with Francois, the site manager and he was always prompt, informed and courteous in emails.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank buddy4344

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This review is long overdue, but certainly WELL deserved. Anytime you travel far from home, and especially to Africa, we all do what we can to research the Many hotels/companies to choose from, and often find ourselves 'crossing our fingers' once we've made the choice, and actually go ahead and wire funds.
Having travelled to Africa on previous trips, I know how daunting that can be, but also how elated you become when you find a Gem like Outlook. They are hands down one of the best tourism companies I have had the pleasure of working with to date out of 60+ countries visited. From the moment you land, they will have someone ready to take you to their local lodge. Francois, who has become my unofficial Jo'Berg BFF will absolutely spoil you, and do whatever he can to ensure you have everything you need. He will offer suggestions, and handle any arrangements you require. The pride in what he does is very much evident, and he truly adds to your SA experience. Moss (one of the drivers), then whisks you away to Krugar (or Sabi - I did both), to begin your safari. Debbie, another person I now call friend, is so passionate about what she does that her constant upbeat conversation leaves you in a constant state of excitement during safari. Her knowledge of the animals and area, not to mention her personal ambition to make sure you 'See it All' is exactly what we all hope to get when going on safari.
Their people are obviously 'my' favourite part of the experience, but for many, I also understand....so is the actual accommodation. I very much appreciated how Outlook caters to Any budget. I did a mix of their choices, and did their tent pad (the middle option) for Krugar, and also their luxury option for Sabi. So whether you are very budget minded, or have a preference for the 5 Star quality, you will not be disappointed. More importantly, all guests experience the incredible cuisine prepared for you (do not plan a diet on this trip). Whether it be your 2 course breakfast, or home made baked good, elaborate dinners, a healthy supply of vino, mid-safari cocktail hour (Sabi), the staff take such pride in what they do, that the only reason you want a safari drive to end is because you know another high quality meal awaits you.
All to say, I give top rating to this company as it has built an incredible team that caters to many personality types, and focuses on every detail.
Thank you Outlook for such an amazing experience - no question...I will be back!
(TIP: Stay an extra day or two with Francois in Jo'Berg - Yes it helps with jet lag, but there is also plenty to do. I did the lion park where you can pet baby lions, and the Soweto tour - all arranged by Francois:)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank BaconBreath
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here after my safari (also booked with Outlook and also great) and they could not do enough to help me. As I was the only one staying I was given room 1 which was huge and had a lovely bathroom which was perfect for relaxing in after a busy safari. I hadn't arranged any meals before hand but these were all offered to me and were delicious. The staff also offered to help me with day tours as I had a few hours to spare the following day before heading to the airport.

I wouldn't choose this hotel for a long stay as it's not in the best location but for an airport stopover it's perfect as the airport is only about a 10 minute drive away.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Emmmmmmmmmmma
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We spent here only one night at our arrival in South Africa, but it was so pleasureful!
Francois, the owner, was so kind and gentle that I felt like at home.Althoug we hadn't booked for a tour in the City, he immediately was able to reach us a good one.We also had dinner here, and he was so kind to think about a very good vegetarian meal for me, everything at a very honest price! I fully reccomand this beautiful lodge!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Karmilla
Reviewed July 8, 2013

After very long flights beginning in Houston, spent the night at this very comfortable and quiet lodge located very close to the Jberg airport. Room was very clean with coffee maker, sat. TV and very comfortable beds. Excellent full American/English breakfast in the morning before prompt transport by lodge staff for my continuing flight to Zimbabwe. Owner Francois very friendly and welcoming. This may also be a good choice for those who are driving with good parking available.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MJSellers
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The lodge was perfect for us, arriving tired, dirty and jet lagged into Tambo airport before a safari. A kind Outlook staff member was there at International arrivals with our name on a printed sign, and he took us the 20 minute or so drive to the lodge in Benoni (a classy suburb of Johannesburg). We were met by Francois, and spent the day relaxing before leaving on safari the next day. The lodge is very nice – large, lovely rooms, beautiful big spotless bathrooms, clean crisp cotton sheets. There is a pleasant garden and a nature reserve about a 10 minute walk away. Francois was also a kind host and a good cook. We had both breakfast and dinner there, and stayed there again on our return. Enthusiastically recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank emmy_7
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was the best service I have ever received in the world. They went out of their way to help. I would not stay anywhere else. The food was wonderful, we ate breakfast and dinner. I loved the Lodge and the staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sejouer A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benoni
Premier Hotel OR Tambo
Sunrock Guesthouse
Sunrock Guesthouse
#2 of 26 in Kempton Park
Southern Sun O.R Tambo International Hotel

Been to Outlook Lodge Lakefield? Share your experiences!