“Francois and his staff were excellent!”

Outlook Lodge Lakefield
Ranked #1 of 43 Benoni B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 11, 2011

The house is gorgeous, although the guest rooms could use some updating. The best part of the stay here (a two night stay before heading to Botswana) was the wonderful hospitality provided by Francois. He prepared great breakfasts and aided us in our plans to see as much of Johannesburg as we could in one day.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KdubOregon

Reviewed July 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed one night at the Outlook Lodge on a long layover in JoBerg before our 2PM flight to Nairobi. Francois and his sister picked us up at the airport right on time and took us to the Lodge. On the drive, he provided us with a lot of informative details about the area and South Africa in general.

Our room at Outlook Lodge was fantastic and HUGE! It's a shame that I did not have a chance to use the giant bathtub. We enjoyed a glass of wine in the living room, chatted with Francois and happily perused all the books about South Africa that they had on the table. Francois then made dinner reservations and provided us with a car service (he dropped us off and picked us up) at a local restaurant. The restaurant recommendation was lovely.

I was in a panic when I arrived in JoBerg because I was having issues with my camera and I was convinced that I had lost all my pictures from Kruger, Botswana and Zambia. Francois, being the astounding host that he is, without whisked us off to a local camera shop to see if I could recover my photos. When the camera shop was closed, he took us to the local mall and waited with us for 2 HOURS while the Kodak people recovered and burned CDs of my photos. I cannot thank Francois enough for his compassion, selflessness and his generosity .

Francois saved our African vacation and I will never forget him! I highly recommend staying at the Outlook Lodge, but more importantly, I recommend FRANCOIS!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MobiePB
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We needed a place to "overnight" after being on a 6 day safari in Kruger. Read some reviews & most were favorable...you always get the oddball traveler who can never be satisfied. We were in a van full of people who would all be "dropped off" at various places in Johannesburg. As the van entered Johannesburg we found ourselves in a stunningly beautiful neighborhood full of lovely mansions...we live in LA & it was like being in Beverly Hills. We were thinking..."wow...I wonder who booked in this neighborhood!". It turned out to be US! Wow. We were greeted by an incredibly friendly staff. They are very accommodating & able to advise on where to go/do/see. Lovely pool. The place is an old mansion type structure with beautiful garden. Located near a large lake & bird sanctuary that we walked to. Breakfast was amazing. What a great deal. We could very highly recommend a stay here to anyone. We would most definitely stay here again. Thanks to everyone at the lodge.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jupiterwray
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Stayed in outlook 2 nights on route,bathrooms need upgrading but francois made up for everything with his hospitality.We were offered an evening meal which francois cooked the food was excellent.The second night we had a barbecue where we met his parents it was like being part of a family.Anyone who has complaints about this lodge obviously went when francois was on a day off.He made our stay there great and we will definately go back there again

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank brian_ord
Reviewed February 12, 2011

I stayed at Outlook a night prior to my trip to Kruger and following my trip to Kruger. I was greeted at the airport both times which was included in the cost. It was about a 20 minute drive to the guest house. My host for the night was Francois. He was AWESOME. I was the only guest and he kept me company and made sure I had everything I needed. When I returned, Leonard did the same, even bringing me out to pick up dinner. Wifi was free and breakfast was plentiful. They can also arrange safaris if you are interested (minimum 2 people). As I was solo, I flew to Kruger and stayed at a private game reserve.

The only negative was that the pool was a bit grimy but the 2 great dogs that kept me company as well made up for it!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank TravelingOYEster
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We found the Outlook Lodge to be safe, clean, and welcoming. After a 17 hour flight, to be met at the airport by the lodge staff and not to have to worry about our transportation was a great relief. We only stayed for one night and would have liked to stay longer. Francois greeted us when we arrived at the inn. We visited with him for a little while.

The room was nothing fancy, but it was comfortable and convenient and just what we needed. If you prefer a four or five-star resort, you will be disappointed, but if you are searching for a relaxed, home-like, type experience, this is it. Also, the breakfast was delicious and comprehensive with far more than we could eat in one sitting.

In the morning after breakfast we were delivered back to the airport in plenty of time to catch our connecting flight.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ctn66
Reviewed July 13, 2010

This hotel is walking distance from NOTHING. Our tub was super dirty. The radiators did not work due to some trouble with the electricity so we froze. When we woke up to ask for help there was NOBODY to help not even a security guard.
We later learned that the person in charge slept in a room down stairs but with no signs how were we supposed to guess?
If you need to go anywhere and did not rent a car you basically depend on them for calling cabs, they call the cabs they know so good luck with the pricing.
Oh and most are twin beds so good luck on your honeymoons and romantic evenings!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benoni
Sunrock Guesthouse
Lakeview Boutique Hotel & Conference Center
aha-Kopanong Hotel and Conference Centre
5 mi away
Ancient Windmill Guesthouse and Conference Venue

Been to Outlook Lodge Lakefield? Share your experiences!